Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Xtrail Pre Runner Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Syd
Quarry Creeper

Default Xtrail Pre Runner Build

I've thinking for a long time on building myself a pre runner truck but its took me awhile to figure out all of the suspension geomentry an stuff but i finally figured out how to do it, so here goes the pictures ;)

Heres what it started out as;

An after a few late nights, alot of pencil lead,paper, an soda, heres what i came to; From the angle that the picture was taken, the wheel doesnt seem to be aligned with the body, its gonna annoy me for awhile, but its not like im trying to please anyone cause its gonna be a basher, so its all good;)

Left an Right side pictures;

Suspension Pictures

after alot of looking around an staring at it for awhile, i tore into my nitro mt2, i used the front arms,hub carriers,steering kunckles an the stock suspension arms mount. i ended up using my stock plastic skid that came with my Ax10 when i first got it, i used it then i drilled four holes to mount the suspension arm mount. its got 4 alumumium spacers that the Xtrail hardware kit came with to space the arms off of the skid so it can get travel. i flipped the arms upside down so it can get travel also, like in the pictures. then i used the bent links off the front axle of the ax10 an used them as suspension links an its like in a X pattern, the links are mounted to a rod end thats mounts on the skid, there a little bit of play in the both rod ends but the rod end it mount tight to the skid so its only suspension play thats the deal. i used some nylon spacers to space the links off of the hub carriers an the shocks are done the same way. I wanted to use my Integy Type II shocks, but they were super stiff an the Mt2 shocks werent long enough, so i used my stock AX10 shocks that have internal springs an stock shock oil so the front has a droop set up, i ended up cutting a stock AX10 chassis plate to make shock mounts then the mounts have a support brace that mounts to the skid so the front is like bulled proof. Im only worried about the link mounts breaking, but theres not another way i can mount the links.. so i guess ill just find out when i get it running. im gonna use my Rustler electronics which is a Trinity 27t motor, Novak GTS esc, an traxxas reciver an transmitter. everything else on the truck is stock.

Heres Pictures;

If have any imput, feel welcome to share cause this is my first pre runner so its kinda all new,

Help Will Be Appreciated
Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks great. Only problem I see is with the bent links in the front when it's fully compressed, that link looks like it'll dig right into the ground.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

WOW, that is a really cool design... I messed around a while back with my Rustler, trying something similar to your front suspension. I could never get it set up right though... Maybe I'll steal an idea.. or two.
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #4

now thats thinking outside the box! i like it!
micromachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Those links do look a little low. Maybe you could flip them upside down so the arches point up? Awesome design otherwise!
Blazerbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Syd
Quarry Creeper

Default Updates(:

So After Thinking About The Whole Link Thing, I Ended Up Putting The Plastic Links My Truck Came With When I First Got,I Put Them On It Instead Of The Bend Links,Then I Moved The Mounting Points To The Bottom Of The Suspension Arm Mount,

Picture(:

Then Once I Got the Front Suspension All Handled,I Moved To The Rear, An When My Truck Was A Crawler,Id Always Get Hungup On Rocks Cause Of The Angle Of The Output On The Axle,So After Some Searching In My Cabinet, I Found Some Nylon Spacers,An A Long Bolt,An I Fixed the Problem, So the Output Angle On the Axle To The Trans Is Perfectly Even With The Links;)

Picture;

Ok,So To Admit It, The Steering Had Me A Roadblock Cause For The Life OF Me,I Couldnt Figure Out How To Make The Steering Work,So After Some Monsters,An A Starring Contest,I Found Away To Make It Work The First Servo Mount I Made Was Out Of Plexi Glass, I Dropped My Vise Grips On It By Accident An I Broke It Im Like F***********K Lol. Then I Remembered I Saved My Front Axle Servo/Battery Mount An, Long Behold,I Servo Mount Was Made Then I Used The Upper Links From The Front Axle To Make Steering Links. I'll Prolly Buy Different Steering Links Cause Ill Prolly Break Them,But For The Time Being,They Work.

Picture;

The Shocks On The Truck Are Integy Type II Theres Xtrail Hardware Springs In All 4 Corners,But The Front Had The Stock Ax10 Shock Oil In Them. I Had To Mod The Motor Plate By Drilling New Motor Screw Holes,but I Dremeled The Motor Plate So Now The Motor Fits,The Pinion & Spur Are A Little Tight,But I'll Get A Different Motor Plate For It. Plus Im Looking Into Buying A 36/14 Diff Gear Combo To Hopefully Speed It Up. The Electronics In It Are Novak GTS Esc,Trinity 27T Monster Motor,Axial Radio An Recevier,Then A Traxxas Servo,Then A 4600 Trinty Battery. Battery Times Are Somewhere Betweem 20 Mins Or So, (Idk If Thats Bad?) But I Run The Battery Completely Dead Everytime I Run It,Plus Ive Got Loads Of Batterys To, But Both Of My 4600's Last The Longest.

Heres What It Looks Like All Drooped Out,
The Front Is Only Toed Out Cause Of The Steering Links,
An The Right Steering Knuckle Is Cross Threaded On The Top,So I Guess I Gotta Buy A New Pair Of Knuckles But Its No Biggy,
Heres It Fully Drooped Out;

Heres What The Front Looks Like When Its Sitting On The Ground ;)

I Still Got Play Around With Toe & Caster On the Front,
But For The Time Being,
This Is A Pretty Fun Truck
Ima Play Arounf With Spare Tire Mounts,Lights,An A Front Skid/ Front Bumper

Comments Welcome Fellas

(I'm Only 17 With A Part Time Job Plus Im On Summer Break,So Boredom Gets Me)
Old 06-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #7

Yea those links are much better in my opinion. At least on the clearance issue.
RJLosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Man, that thing is awesome. Looks almost like the Twin I-beam setups on Fords, but I am sure thats what you meant to do.

Can you get any video's of it running?

Does it handle pretty good?
TOMS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Syd
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50_Jumper View Post
That thing looks like fun!
Its Crazy Fun, I Can Get It To 3 Wheel, It Doesnt Got Reverse Cause Of The Esc,But I Can Get It To Wheelie Up My Driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS97ZJ View Post
Man, that thing is awesome. Looks almost like the Twin I-beam setups on Fords, but I am sure thats what you meant to do.

Can you get any video's of it running?

Does it handle pretty good?
It Does Handle Pretty Good,Only Problem Is the Locker In the Rear Diff Is Kinda Loose Where The Axles Meet The Locker,An Theres A Little Bit Of Play,But Nothing Bad, Its Just A Little But Slow For Me Cause Im Used To Haulin Ass With My Electrics,But I Gotta Get A New Motor Plate An A Bigger Pinion,An Put A 36/14 Combo In the Rear Diff An It Should Speed It Up.

Over All,It Does Handle Pretty Good,I Needa Figure Out Softer Shocks Cause Its Just A Little Bit Stiff All Around. but Over All,It Does Handle Pretty Good.

I'll Get A Vid Of It When I Can But The Right Side Steering Knuckle Is Stripped On the Stop Where the Knuckle Meets the Carrier,The Hole Is Stripped.. So I Gotta Get A New Steering Knuckle,

But I Will Get Some Action Shots Of It In The Next Few Days For Yah
Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
RCC Addict

great work on your rig bro
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Syd
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
great work on your rig bro