Grip tyres and go fast 3 23.08%
Drift tyres and go sideways 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Spare time, spare parts...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Spare time, spare parts...

I was trying to make some space on my desk and one thing led to another.
I ended up with a TA03FS with quite a few hopups, namely:
CF Chassis
CF battery plate
CF stabiliser holder
Stabilisers
Low profile shock towers
Aluminium heatsink motor mount/cover
Aluminium topshafts (may put one way in the front)
Front universals
Rear lightweight dogbones
Ball diffs front and rear
CF gear tube
Rubber-sealed ball bearings
Aluminium steering
CF steering bar
Turnbuckles all over
Reinforced drivebelt
Servo/antenna mounts are Kyosho Lazer ZX-R spares
Feigao 380c 8t BL motor run by a Mamba Max

It had a front bumper too, but it wouldn't fit with the best body in my collection that would fit the 237mm wheelbase, a very hacked up stock WK body

I felt that something was missing from the overall image... I found that something sitting over a pile of screws just off to the right and here it is!

Now it was complete and ridiculously awesome/awesomely ridiculous (delete as appropriate )

The reason for the huge antenna is that I might turn this into a drifter to pass around to friends while I'm drifting my not as funny one, so I had to control this with the XR2 Race instead of the Spektrum. As a bonus, it matches the look perfectly
So, should I keep this on grip tyres and try and go fast while looking ridiculous, or get some more drift tyres and try and go sideways while looking ridiculous? Your call!
Karadjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I say drift it, i'm not really a fan of rc drifting (or 1:1 drifting either) but that would look pretty funny and awesome at the same time.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

How about grip tires and go sideways?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
How about grip tires and go sideways?
That might be a bit hard, I think the little feigao doesn't have the will power it used to
Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadjas View Post
That might be a bit hard, I think the little feigao doesn't have the will power it used to
On 4S maybe???
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
On 4S maybe???
Uhm... Tamiya TA03 drivetrain... I busted 2 gearboxes running E-savage motors @ 14.4v, I don't think 4S BL will be much gentler

This is from the feigao on 7.2v stick and sidewinder in a TA03 chassis in a similar configuration from a while back.

Oh it could move, now it just cogs and lags and lags and lags and lags...

BTW, I'll have enough free time in ~a week, expect drifting pics and/or video if all goes well

*EDIT* I know you've all been losing sleep over it, so here's what the grille cutout is for

Last edited by Karadjas; 09-21-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I say drift it! I use to have a TA02 drift car with a beat up old the old S-10 stadium truck body and also the original SVT Cobra body. Drifted pretty good, but to me it got old after awhile. Thats why im in rock crawling now, its a change of pace. Drift it!! and put a small stick on the back window that says "Grip this! " haha
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I had a spare hour today and decided to try whether the motor still worked in the back yard. Option #3, Pikes Peak WK. I put on some tamiya rally blocks, the smallest pinion it will take (9.93:1) and a 2000mah nicd stick. Lethargic would be an understatement, and so instead of waiting for the stick pack to charge, I grabbed a 2200mah 25c 3S I charged and balanced last night from the shelf. Big mistake :S

I didn't calculate the rpms/speed on 3S before going out (comes out to 63000rpm with a peaked 3S, 81kmh), but I did make sure to set the MM on low start-up power and set the timing to 0*. None of it helped. The tyres weren't glued as I was only expecting moderate power. At the first pull of the throttle onroad, about 40%, it got nowhere fast. The wheels were spinning inside the tyres, the tyres didn't even try to grab the asphalt. I tried a slow getaway, maybe 10%, then 25%, then a sudden 50% pull made everything a bit hairy. It picked up speed like nobody's business, while the tyres were still spinning like crazy. Then something black and round came off the front and after a few tumbles, I calmed myself down, walked to it, picked it up and came inside.

I'm not going back to nixx with this motor, but it's too uncontrollable for anything other than smooth tarmac and sticky tyres. I'm putting the sticky semislicks on and going back out, drivetrain condition report in a few mins.

*I think both of my 3S 2200mah 25c Mystery lipos are dead, so no report*

Last edited by Karadjas; 09-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

That thing needs one of those huge fart cans sticking out the back, and a pimply faced driver with his hat on backwards.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote