Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Good for a 7 year olds 1st rc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Default Good for a 7 year olds 1st rc?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXSGU7**&P=7

My nephew wants thirty thousand different rc cars that will break and be thrown away in a week. So my theory is to get him one that he can break and it wont be too hard to put it back together. Wat do you guys think?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCJ8&P=ML

This charger seems pretty straight forward and pretty simple for him to use. Anybody got any experience with these chargers.

Thanks,
Luke
quad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

id get him a slash fast, tough, and pretty simple
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That Evader is plenty cheap and parts are free from Duratrax with the StressTech warranty. It's a win in my book.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #4

i have that truck. with the stock setup it's plenty fast, and will run around the local BMX track without any problems. strangely enough, it seems to be much more durable than my race buggy. (aka, i've replaced less parts on it)

the steering has a bit of understeer, but one could also attribute my problems to throttle control... and that i am running a brushless setup

in addition, you can't beat the stress-tech guarantee that duratrax has. i've called them many times to help repair my stupid mistakes.

just make sure that dad can handle a screw driver, and can read from a parts list to the guy/gal on the other side of the phone.
yellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

slash
rccrawlerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I was going to suggest the duratrax. Great price for a starter car. It has bushing, not bearings. So if the young one ends up driving the heck out of it I would suggest upgrading to the bearing kit.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #7

He actually lives with me right now so i figured it would be something fun for us to do together and it would be a good barganing tool to get him to do homework. lol. If he enjoys it i plan on getting him a blitz or a slash.

Anyone know about the charger??
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #8

Well i did it. I went ahead and ordered it. Ordered the truck, onyx 200 charger and two venom 1800MAH nidc batteries. Hopefully he'll like it and be getting upgrades for it b4 too long!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
MODERHATER™

I hope you ordered a Slash....
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I hope you ordered a Slash....
X2
and just put the esc in its practice mode. (50% throttle)

truggies, because of their open wheel design usually end up w/ alot broken a-arms and bearing carriers in the hands of a younger less experienced drivers

plus the larger slash will make him feel like he has a "big boy toy"
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

People like to rag on Duratrax but the ones I have owned have been awesome. Granted Ive never owned a Nitro, so maybe there mills are just junk but I have a Firehammer and absolutly love it. Thing is tough as nails.

I bought my nephew a Duratrax BX as his 1st Rc when he was 8 and he beat the snot out of it, drove it into my culvert and deck wide open and never broke anything. We even put in a mod motor after he got better and it still never skipped a beat.
A friend of the family got his 5 year old son the Ext and he has broken a shock tower (driving in the winter) but other than that, he's been through tires like crazy and its still not skipping a beat.
For the money, I dont think the Duratrax's can be beat. Esp for kids. Plus there year stress warranty cant be beat.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Never owned a duratrax so can't say, but I can attest to the durability of the slash. Brushless on 11.1 is insane fast, but it takes all the abuse I give it.
The only time I break parts is when I go to the skate park, 40ft of air and concrete is very unforgiving.
The only thing I keep killing is the spur gear. After a dozen or more jumps and hard landings, the motor moves down a bit and loosens the mesh killing the spur.
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have a Evader truggy and the slash and love them both. Slash sure takes a beating and holds up and with RPM parts upgrades its pretty much invincible. On the other hand the duritrax is a pretty sweet truck. the only thing I dont like about it it how everytime I bump something with the tire at any speed it strips the servo and anything faster toasts the metal servo. I didnt know about the warranty thing. I have 2 broken shock towers that need replacing.

Either way you will love it. But my cash would be on the Slash
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #14

Ok so i got the Evader today and i took it out for a quick spin. It ran pretty good but my only issue was that once it had been running for a little bit wen i pulled the trigger it would just die. I had to pull the throttle very slowly to get it to go. Anyone know what would cause this issue?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad23 View Post
Ok so i got the Evader today and i took it out for a quick spin. It ran pretty good but my only issue was that once it had been running for a little bit wen i pulled the trigger it would just die. I had to pull the throttle very slowly to get it to go. Anyone know what would cause this issue?
battery is dead, and or its overheating
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #16

Well once i got it going it would go pretty fast but i just didnt know wat would cause it to do that. Im gonna try it again tomorrow and see wat happens.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

my guess would be a bad battery or it has a low charge

happened alot in my first couple of rtr tamiyas
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

My first question would have been where are you going to run it. If it is on a track or in the street, the evader will be fine. I actually had talked a buddy into buying one for his first RC.

If you were going to be bashing in the back yard, I would have gone with the slash or wheely king as they do better in the rough stuff than the evader.

The Evader is definitely a nice starter RC though, no bad things to say about it.
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote