Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Nitro Sleeve Removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #1

Default Nitro Sleeve Removal

Working on an OLD SCHOOL Traxxas Pro .15. I just want to replace the crank bearings, but I need to get the 'rotating assembly' out before I can replace the bearings. Can't get the connecting rod off of the crank without removing the sleeve, and the sleeve seems to be pretty stuck haha.

Any suggestions for getting the sleeve out? I tried pushing from the bottom with the end of a pen (plastic), but it wouldn't budge.
foxridersco05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Try doubling up a zip tie and shoving it into the exhaust port. Then spin the crank until the sleeve eventually slides up. The piston will be pushing against the zip tie which will be pushing the sleeve up. You may want to have the flywheel installed so it's easier to spin the crank.
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #3

Hmm, smart. I'll give it a whirl.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

if that doesnt work, grab a hair dryer and heat the block up a bit, then try the above method. the aluminum block will expand faster than the brass sleeve.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #5

Ah, good to know. I was gonna ask what the sleeve was made of. I can check the thermal conductivities to make sure heating will do the trick.

EDIT: Did a quick check, alum. is almost twice as conductive as brass. Heating should work well if the zipties don't work.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

getting the block hot then resting an Ice cube on the sleeve will help too. the zip tie trick works, done it several times. also a good soak in wd or similar helps too!
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #7

Man you guys are all over this thread haha. I appreciate all the help.

I won't have a chance to work on it till tomorrow but it seems we've got the sleeve issue knocked out.

Any ideas for the crank bearings? Will a blow dryer really be enough to heat the housing? I was gonna put it in the oven at 350*F for a few minutes or so, then try knocking them out. If worse comes to worse I guess I can always cut em out with the dremel...
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
I'm a stupid C U N T!

getting the first out is the hardest part, after that you can run a socket through the block and use it to push out the other. For the First one I like to use Fiber sticks, but since you don't do glass for a living you probably don't have one, But something soft but rigid to push against the bearing without marring the case
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

This may help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhpwsjYoxM0
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #10

That was a pretty good little tutorial, thanks.

The zip tie trick worked AWESOME. I can't believe how easy it came out really haha.

Once I got the sleeve and piston out, I pushed the crank out and the inner bearing is still on the crankshaft. It looks like the block is bored to the inside diameter of the outter bearing, so sliding a socket in to knock it out won't work. I'll have to try the dowel trick.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #11

Hmm, I can't get anything on it to knock it out. Tried heating the housing, still no luck. I guess I'll be cutting it out, if I can find something small enough to fit in there. These engines are TINY.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i dont know much about these engines but with the 2.5 i just take off the starter plate and stick a screwdriver up there and push until the sleeve comes loose
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

that does work but if you slip your buying a new piston and sleeve
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #14

Welp everything's back together and its back in action! I used a small grinding stone with my dremel to cut the bearing out. Ground it down till it was paper thin, then get an old screwdriver and pried on the race. That popped it in half and I removed the two pieces. I was pretty pumped I didn't scar the block one bit.

Heated up the block and dropped in the new bearings, reassembled, reinstalled engine and fired it up. Runs better after being all cleaned up. I'll have to re-tune it but all in all I'm happy with it.