Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Retro Trans Am

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Retro Trans Am

I have been in RC for 20+ years and in that time I have done most all types of racing and competitions. I was always into road racing and some what into oval from the time I was in high school until I gave up on racing at the age of 27. I was convinced I did not have the reflexes for racing, but now I can see it was due to my drinking that I shook and jerked while racing. I realized this about 2 weeks ago when I took my 11 year old son to his first Tamiya Mini race. Greyson has been running crawlers since he was 5 but my rule for racing was he had to wait until he was 11 to start. Well, long story short, I took his car out to shake it down and dial it in for him and found that my shakes and jerking is gone. almost 5 years of being sober and I ran drive a touring car around a carpet track without knocking all 4 wheels off the darn thing.

After that first week I took down my Team TC3 that had been collecting dust for 6 years and brought it back to life as a Retro T/A car. My first race in 6 years is tomorrow evening and I am stoked. Spending the past 2 Wednesday evenings hanging out at the track with my son has been awesome, I tend to work way to much so father son time is a welcome change.

Well, enough with the talking. Here are some pictures...

I painted it black and then gave it the "flat" look offset with some red Eritex stickers. Hopefully I don't destroy it in one evening.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

SWEEEET! now just make some sick wheels for it
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
SWEEEET! now just make some sick wheels for it
I can't, its a spec class
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
I can't, its a spec class
Stupid rules... Best of luck, are you running is a sportsman class of do you going to play with the big guys... who are all probably 14 lol
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
Stupid rules... Best of luck, are you running is a sportsman class of do you going to play with the big guys... who are all probably 14 lol
Um, I think I get what you are saying. In the Trans Am class you have to run a vintage Trans Am area body, HPI vintage wheels and tires, and a 21.5 brushless on 2S lipo. It is close racing and looks way cooler the TC racing.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I was more referencing a beginner class or advanced as far as skill is concerned. since you said you used to race I was wondering if you were stepping back in racing with more advanced racers, or starting over. I'm not Up on my onroad stuff so there might not even be a skill class in TA racing. Either way it looks sweet, I'd drive it. probably into a wall though I'm throttle happy and steering stupid
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The best local drivers run in this class, but so does some beginners.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Arrow

Your Trans Am car looks mysteriously like a Mustang, lol. Good luck with your race and post pics...sounds like a great time!
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
Your Trans Am car looks mysteriously like a Mustang, lol. Good luck with your race and post pics...sounds like a great time!
you may want to do a google search, you may find where pontiac stole that name from...
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Lol, it is. I was referring to the series I will be running in, not the model of the car
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I was into TransAm racing last winter, ran a losi jrxsR with tekin rs pro esc and novak 21.5, it got too damn competitive and therre were sponsored drivers who took the fun right out of it. Supposedly they are putting down some more rules this year about what speedo you can run and such, to level the field back out. It was fun as hell, but keeping up with the Jones's got old quick,

Good luck with you race tonight, it really is a blast! I just hope you have better sportsmanship at your track than I had at mine.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
. . you may find where Pontiac stole that name from...
Actually, Pontiac paid the SCCA for the usage of the name.

Looks good Gerame! I'll try not to put any bright colored marks on it tonight. LOL

kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
almost 5 years of being sober and I ran drive a touring car around a carpet track without knocking all 4 wheels off the darn thing.
your car looks great! an old T/A would probably be the only way i could get dragged back into r/c racing again.

and congrats on being close to the 5 year mark! keep it up, it gets greater later! trust me!
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Talking

Quote:
Lol, it is. I was referring to the series I will be running in, not the model of the car
yeah I know...sarcasm just doesn't come across a computer screen very well. Other than the 21.5 brushless and 2s lipo, are there any other restrictions?
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
yeah I know...sarcasm just doesn't come across a computer screen very well. Other than the 21.5 brushless and 2s lipo, are there any other restrictions?
Ya, I knew you were joking...so was I

No, not really on restrictions. The rules are...

you have to use the Novak ESC
21.5 brushless
2s lipo
gear ratio no taller then 5:1
T/A vintage tires, wheels, and body.

I think that is about it. Between the soft power of a 21.5 on 2s and the not so great traction of the spec tires, racing looks really fun. The last time I raced I ran stock TC with foam tires on a carpet track. Traction was not an issue and the cars were rocket fast. The T/A cars feel like a Sunday drive in comparison plus.....they look WAY cooler
Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Too cool! Vintage T/A cars is where it's at, IMO. That might actually get me into racing again. I got out of it in '94 when everyone still ran 2WD pan cars before the Touring Car revolution. Slipping and sliding in some vintage looking SCCA cars would be really fun!

How about a race report when you get back? Oh, and congrats on 5 years!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Too cool! Vintage T/A cars is where it's at, IMO. That might actually get me into racing again. I got out of it in '94 when everyone still ran 2WD pan cars before the Touring Car revolution. Slipping and sliding in some vintage looking SCCA cars would be really fun!

How about a race report when you get back? Oh, and congrats on 5 years!
Thanks but not 5 years yet, on the 19th of this month.

How did the race go? I did alright, ended up 16th out of 18 people running in T/A tonight. I spent most of the night pulling off-line as not to screw up the fast guys laps. The car felt "odd" at the beginning of the night but as I became accustom to how hard I could push it I increased from 14 laps in 5 minutes to 17 laps by the end of the "B" main. The fast guys run in the 20 to 22 lap range so I have some practicing to do.

In the end I really enjoyed it and loved the "guy" time with my son. We will be running again next week. One more bonus, I pitted next to the indoor crawler course so between rounds of racing I got my crawl on
Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
you may want to do a google search, you may find where pontiac stole that name from...
I though GM was paying for it's use (as did Dodge on the Challenger T/A)
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

T/A classes are a blast.
You can avoid the confusion, run the correct body

william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by william g View Post
T/A classes are a blast.
You can avoid the confusion, run the correct body
No problem, send it here and I will be more than happy to run that body!
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote