Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: 1/8 buggy/truggy newb question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 1/8 buggy/truggy newb question

I've been wanting to get into 1/8 scale racing for a while now and ordered a CEN Matrix last October. It still has not showed up so I am cancelling the order and looking at other options. I really don't want a high end $1000 kit but don't want a pile that isn't upgradeable. Leaning towards an Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Pro. For a RTR the price is pretty good. Is it upgradable to become an advanced racer in the future or would there be a better option?
Bart bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
RCC Addict

In my experience, racing locally does not require THE best car money can build. At least when I was racing, setup was far more important. I also remember Yuichi Kanais' inferno did not have a single alum upgrade over the MP7.5 kit. Some key points are usually low weight, rigid chassis and a well thought suspension. For example the O'Donnel buggy was outdated even when it came out due to increased weight and small shocks, things he fixed almost instantly.
I haven't seen any ofnas race around here but a HB D8 or D8T is also a decent/upgradeable solution with low cost.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

If you could find a used Losi 8ight, that would be an excellent starting point. The only difference between the older and newer one is a slight increase in chassis length, all other parts carry over.

I owned one for a while, I got mine used for 250$. Very durable, handled great. The one downside is SAE hardware instead of metric.
Roketcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys. I realize the D8's and Losi's are very good rigs. They are a little out of the price range I want to drop for just getting started. If I enjoy it I'll drop more coin. I want to keep it under $300 for a good RTR. If it's upgradeable even better. I have always been an AE guy from WAY back in the day. As much as I don't like buying used stuff maybe I need to look into that a little more.

Kinda off subject, are the Ofna Hyper Series the more desireable Hoa Boa and the MB's the cheaper China stuff?

Keep it coming, thanks again.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Actually the D8 is really a cheapo rig.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVFV4&P=ML
It also won the previous worlds, heavily modified though, in the hands of Athsuhi Hara.
It is a decent choice for a 300$ buggy kit.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

The Hyper 7 would be a great place to start and learn. Race it for a year, and if you really enjoy it, buy a new kit next year. Wheel time, set-up, that's what is important now. You'll need to buy fuel, and it isn't real cheap. You'll also need to replace the tires. Go to the track you plan on running at and see what the hot tire is.
NOMERCY!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

hyper 7 is a great way to start. kinda on the heavy side though, but in a race that will help you through rough sections. Im selling a jammin x1x if you interested!!
norcallump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I would recommend rctech.net for some further info. I've been racing 8th scale buggy for about 3 years now. I would stay away from the cheap stuff, you'll end up spending just as much money on it if you were to buy a decent rig up front and you won't have the same experience with the hobby. The D8 by any means is not a cheap kit, maybe in price, but not quality. There is one on ebay right now open box but new for 250 w/ free shipping. You do not need a lot of hop ups to make it competitive, many guys win races/tq with it bone stock. You can also find used losi 8 buggy rollers for cheap. I've seen used losi 8's w/ decent engines almost rtr go for $350. Just be patient and wait for a good buy.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

By cheap you guys mean Exceed RC and other no name RTR's. I will not spend my coin on some junk like that of course. So the Hyper 7 might be a good one. Are they built on the same platform as other Hoa boa's for upgrading?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

From what I know about them, not many of Ofna's buggies have parts that interchange with eachother. I raced CEN for a while and actually had good luck with them. I'm not sure why you weren't able to get yours after like 5 months. If I had to choose get the c-1, not the r2. The c-1 has aluminum where the r2 has alot of plastic. It's heavier, but more durable for less expierienced racer.

Otherwise I agree with getting a Losi also. They are a dime a dozen and you shouldn't have any problem finding one.
Blazefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Find a used Mugen MBX6 or MBX6T. 1/8 scale buggies do not hold their value and unless I was a world class racer, are not worth dropping the outrageous moolah on a new kit.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote