Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: HPI E10 Drift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HPI E10 Drift

Well, I made the jump from my scx10 and wraith to a HPI E10 touring car.

So far, ive moved the motor up front, and trimmed the body to clear the wheels.

plans include:
bearing kit
metal driveshaft
metal dog bone kit
adjustable shocks
Drift tires
Traxxas 12 Turn slash motor
one way rear

will build it over the winter to have ready for spring. will be running a traxxas 2.4 system.

OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
RCC Addict

be careful with the e10. ive heard the diffs in them are garbage and cant handle alot of power.
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
be careful with the e10. ive heard the diffs in them are garbage and cant handle alot of power.
thanks for the heads up. ill be upgrading them if the go.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
RCC Addict

i dont know if that will help....i read some were that a guy machined a set using savage gears, and they still stripped fairly quickly.

i was going to get one until i heard about the differential nightmare that these are.
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
i dont know if that will help....i read some were that a guy machined a set using savage gears, and they still stripped fairly quickly.

i was going to get one until i heard about the differential nightmare that these are.
i dont plan on running anything brushless in it to drift, so i think ill be fine. i could understand a 4600kv castle blowing it apart though on a 2 or 3s

ill run it for a bit, ill be sure to keep you posted. if a tt-01 can take a 5700kv brushless on 3s, i think this will hold together,
Old 12-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I have first hand experience with the differential nightmare on the E10.

But, I was running HPI Vintage wheels/tires, 3300kv brushless motor on 3s lipo. I custom machined a set of diff gears for it using Wheely King gears that worked but would wearout fast because the diff case is weak and allows everything to flex. HPI does not make upgraded gears (the stock diff pinion is plastic) and they have no plans to make any. I emailed HPI to ask. I was told it is a entry level car so what you have is what you get.

You may be OK if you Drift on 2s lipo.

If you want a shaft drive onroad car that can be a power house for a great price checkout a Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk. Ive used the above 3300kv motor on 6s onroad and the Sparrowhawk takes it just fine.

6s onroad= smile ear to ear
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
I have first hand experience with the differential nightmare on the E10.

But, I was running HPI Vintage wheels/tires, 3300kv brushless motor on 3s lipo. I custom machined a set of diff gears for it using Wheely King gears that worked but would wearout fast because the diff case is weak and allows everything to flex. HPI does not make upgraded gears (the stock diff pinion is plastic) and they have no plans to make any. I emailed HPI to ask. I was told it is a entry level car so what you have is what you get.

You may be OK if you Drift on 2s lipo.

If you want a shaft drive onroad car that can be a power house for a great price checkout a Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk. Ive used the above 3300kv motor on 6s onroad and the Sparrowhawk takes it just fine.

6s onroad= smile ear to ear
i bet it does. i will be running a 5100 6 cell nimh with traxxas 12 turn or similar. im doing indoor drifting in my basement, and parking lot/skate park drifting.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

pulled apart the diffs, no wonder the plastic gear fails... theres like 3 drops of grease in there! packed it full of synthetic bearing grease and set my throttle trim to full forward and let it run at quarter throttle for about 30-45 minutes. motor is broken in now and its silky smooth. i dont mind replacing pinions once in a while, but i can see how they get chewed up!

bearings are a must, dog bones arent bad. driveshaft is #2, tires is #3.

for a motor, im looking at a few options. id like to stay under $50 for the esc and motor. i know which esc ill use, motor... havent decided. traxxas 12 turn sound so good.