Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Tractor pulling sled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tractor pulling sled

I have been trying to come up with a few ways to build a pulling sled for my rock crawler and a few other trucks I've got. I was thinking about making a pulling coarse 30ft long to use it on. I think the sled should weigh 50-150lbs. (including the weight) so it would be compatible with just about any RC truck.

IMO the easiest way to do make the weight move to the front would be to have a small rope that would wrap around one or both of the drive axles of the sled. That is the least complicated way I can come up with, but once the weight got to the top of the sled the wheels would lock up and slide. And I was planning on trying to get the weight to be all the way up top by 3/4 length of the track. I'm not really sure how it works in 1:1 scale, but thats what I was thinking.

My next idea was to find a small chain and sprockets to move the weight, but I'm not sure where I can find chains and sprockets small enough. I also don't know how much resistance that would be for a RC car to move it.

So far, I'm thinking about making the main trailer frame out of 1/4 or 3/8 square steel tubing and then make the ramp and front sled out of aluminum I've got lying around. The trailer needs to be heavy enough to turn its tires and not slide them once the weight gets started moving up. I'm also planning on running 2 axles under it with 2.2 tires/wheels.

Is there anything I'm not thinking about or unforseen problems that I might run into. What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions? If I get one built, would any of you guys wanna see how your rig stacks up pulling it?

I've been seeing a sled on ebay called "The Draggin Wagon" but its kindof a classic or collectors item and I'm wanting one to use. I've also found other sled kits on the internet, but they are usually more then $500 bucks and some of them just don't look right to me. I'll try to make a quick sketch to show you what I'm thinking about building.
f150dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm not really worried about it being regulation or not. If I can make it meed the spec's then thats fine, but that's not my main concern. Its just something for me and my buddies to mess around with. See if you can find some pics of yours.

Here's a quick drawing I did in Paint just to let you know how I want mine to look.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Pulling sled = broken parts
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The actual angle of the weight ramp might not be that steep once I get it build, but do you guys see anything wrong with that design?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yea I'm worried about that. Actually, I would like to get the weight all the way up at about 3/4 length of the 30ft track. But I don't know how to get the axles to freewheel once the weight can't move anymore. So I will probably just have to match the reduction to 30ft like you said. I'm sure it will take alot of trial and error.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

why over design it i'd just let the drive wheels skid causing more drag which will make it harder to get a full pull
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Well, I'm gonna have to run pretty sticky tires so they will pull the weight up instead of sliding. So I would say once the tires lock up, that sled will be very hard to move.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

dont make the tires lock up!, thats just not scale!!! lol...im not sure how, but that drawing looks good to me, but the ramp shouldnt be so steep
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

maby use some small lawnmower tires, or something simmilar because i dont think 2.2's are going to support 50-150 lbs without running on the rims.
cvecmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #10

We use a chain to move the weight. Just before the weightbox reaches the front of the sled it runs off the chain. That way the rear-wheels can still spin free.

Here's the gearbox in the sled:

And the sled (our old one):

Here's a better pic of the internals for the gearbox:

Hope this helps.

Cyril

Last edited by Micropuller; 07-09-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Micropuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

How much weight does it usually take to stop a 2.2 crawler, Maxx crawler, or nitro MT's. I was figuring under 100 lbs. but I just wanted the ability to go more if I ever build a purpose built pulling rig.

If the tires I choose won't hold the weight, then I will get those little hard plastic pushmower wheels or something similar. They should have no problem with it.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

micro puller i have been a big fan of yours waiting and waiting for updates to your awsome pulling vehicles,

now on to my question,

how much would it cost for you to build me a twin engined puller
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #13

@f1 50dan:
That's hard to say. It all depends on the puller's own weight, gearing, hitch-height, track conditions etc.
Just to give you an idea, we once had a pull at an event where there were also some rc monstertrucks. These were by no means standard (lots of aluminum, stronger motors, extra baterries, you get the picture) They tried to pull our sled with about 10Kg (22 lb) of weight in the box. One didn't pull further then about 25 ft. The other stripped it's gears at about 30 ft.
Micropuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

i would figure that stripping gears would be a big factor wouldnt aluminum gears help to stop the stripping?
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
I'm a stupid C U N T!

what about running a threaded rod with the end ground down so that when the weight reaches the end it stops moving the weight while letting the rod still spin
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote