Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: RC18 Late Model and Club Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default RC18 Late Model and Club Racing

I love oval racing but there are no local clubs so I started my own. I am a teacher and thought that RC would be a great way to help encourage kids to do good in school, teach them math and science, and show them how to have some good clean fun. More on that later in the post.

First, lets check out the car we will be racing, the Associated RC18LM. Why did I choose that you ask, because Associated donated one to the cause. That inspired my principal and I to buy 4 more and get this thing started. Here is the one I will be racing.

I went with a Danica Patrick scheme because it would be bright and easy to see. My principal is a Gordon fan so I painted him up an old school rainbow warrior car.

Right now I run all the stock parts except for sometimes running a Gens Ace 1550mah 2s lipo. I have a spacer under the left front and right rear inner camber link to lower the roll center and put more weight on those tires. The rear shocks are layed down and the front are stood up. 2 big clips in the right front spring, 1 big clip in the left front, 1 big clip in the left rear, and 1 medium and 1 small clip in the left rear. It drives pretty good but is eating the right front tire. I expected the left rear to wear the fastest.

Any set up advice for ovals would be appreciated.

For more details on the chassis and specs check out RC18 Late Model Ready-To-Run: Team Associated - Champions By Design - Nitro and Electric RC Cars

The plan is to have a club that meets during elective period or after school and learns all the ins and out of rc set up and how it is a practical example of how you can apply math and science skills to hands on, real world applications. Right now we have my car, the principals car, the car Associated donated, and the other two we bought. So we have 3 cars for the kids and I figure they could work on and race those in 4 person teams. We are hoping to add more cars as people help out and we raise more money. Here are the club cars.

If you want more info on the club or how you can help out check out our website at http://blogs.tusc.k12.al.us/smsrc/
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Defy Gravity

Default Re: RC18 Late Model and Club Racing

very cool project keith! i think that the kids will get a lot out of this, and sounds like you're having fun too
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RC18 Late Model and Club Racing

I've been working on my car and I think I have this sucker set up about as good as I can for now. Very balanced handling. The only problem I am having is with the car wanting to go right on acceleration. I don't think it is a servo issue because just rolling it goes in a straight line. Set up or uneven tire traction due to wear are my two guesses. Here is my set up. Any input would be appreciated.

nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote