Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: I want to restore a Tamiya KC - Need help with parts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2024, 12:30 PM   #1

Default I want to restore a Tamiya KC - Need help with parts?

Hello, Not sure if this is the right section for this sort or thing?

I have a Tamiya Nissan King cab that I got brand new and built in '91 or '92. I didn't know much about RC then (and really, I still don't lol) but I had fun with it until life and interests took me down other paths. It's almost entirely stock with the exception of the motor and tires. Even still has the factory manual SC

As you can see by the pics, I drove it like I stole it and put it up wet as they say but I'd like to restore it visually and get it driving again. I won't be used much as I have some other builds in the planning stage so this will mostly be a shelf queen but I want it functional. Here is the plan...

Step 1: Disassemble, clean and inspect.
See what, if anything, is broken then relube/grease and reassemble.

Step 1a: Tranny (?)
I've read about the issues with the tranny on these and while I don't recall have any issue mine, if during the clean and inspect process I will see damage then i'll see about fixing it?

Step 2: Body and decals.
The current body is toast but I have an older replacement (not factory Tamiya ) and the original decal sheet but seeing how I'm a big Toyota fan, I'm going to redo it as a Hilux MR. I will get the body from TBG and decals from MCI

Step 3: Wheel and tires:
The factory wheels have some curb rash but I think I can clean them up? I know the HMR had red wheels but I think the white ones look better anyway. I also know they don't make the factory tires anymore but I'm wondering if they is a set of similar aftermarket tires? The thing is I really don't know what size I'm supposed to be looking for (2.2?)

I would also like to pick up a second set of wheel/tires? I was hoping to getting something with more backspacing to bring the wheels in for a more aunthtic look but looking at the suspenstion, it doesn't look like there is much room for that? I'd still like some bling (chrome) and for the tires, I'd like something more streetable with like an AT or MT type tread but again, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for? I know even back in the day I tried to upgrade them with no luck finding anything that would work? I don't know what other Tamiya kits use the same wheel lug type or what that lug type is called?

Step 4: Electronics
I want to keep the old school vibe with the early 90's kit and radio (Futaba FB-2PB) and as its mostly going to be a shelf queen, there is no need to go crazy but I'd like to put in a retro ESC. I was thinking maybe Novak 410 M1c or maybe a Tamiya (Assume I can find a decent one in decent condition and fair price). Any suggestions here?

That should do it. I'd appreciate any help or info you can provide regarding the wheels, tires or ESC?

Thanks

airgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2024, 10:29 AM   #2
Sinking with the ship

Default Re: I want to restore a Tamiya KC - Need help with parts?

Approved your thread and moved it. Best bet for parts is gonna be ebay or groups/pages/Market place on Facebook...

Also, your trans might be good now but the ball diff will explode...asked me how I know
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Transmission: eBay is a good start, there's also a conversion plate to acomodate an Associated Stealth trans.

Tires: I'd try to salvage the rims, they do look cooler in white. as for tires you can check eBay for stock tires but they might get very expensive, I'd consider Losi or Pro-Line period correct Stadium truck set, you can still find them in mint condition for a decent price.

Electronics: I'd suggest you look on Facebook vintage RC groups, a period correct Novak in a good shape will be around 40-60, you can also go the Futaba route, most likely a MC210CB, they are much cheaper. Same goes for the electronics, I have a few period correct stock motor for sale, Facebook is where you'll have the most choice and best prices.

Team Blue Grooves makes reproduction of the body and MCI racing the decals.
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Best bet for parts is gonna be ebay or groups/pages/Market place on Facebook...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utieh View Post
Transmission: eBay is a good start, there's also a conversion plate to acomodate an Associated Stealth trans.

Tires: I'd try to salvage the rims, they do look cooler in white. as for tires you can check eBay for stock tires but they might get very expensive, I'd consider Losi or Pro-Line period correct Stadium truck set, you can still find them in mint condition for a decent price.

Electronics: I'd suggest you look on Facebook vintage RC groups, a period correct Novak in a good shape will be around 40-60, you can also go the Futaba route, most likely a MC210CB, they are much cheaper. Same goes for the electronics, I have a few period correct stock motor for sale, Facebook is where you'll have the most choice and best prices.

Team Blue Grooves makes reproduction of the body and MCI racing the decals.
I've purposely ignored FB for well over a decade now but it looks like I might need to dust off the old account (or create a new one) for this hobby

Well the restore is off to a rocky start. I bought a battery and charger to see if I could get it fired up before disassembly and the good news is, it seems to still work?

The bad news is, when I went to load batteries into my radio I found that I misplaced the battery holder and off course its a discontinued part. That's my standard luck so I'm not surprised! lol

I found one on ebay but its an auction that's already way overpriced but I'll probably have to suck it up and pay the price if I can win the auction. Assuming I do, I'll find the original about a week later (That's just the kind of luck I have).

At least TBG and MCI can take care of me for the body and decals. If it wasn't for that and the fact that is still works and is mostly complete I'd probably give up on this project.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:48 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgunner View Post
I've purposely ignored FB for well over a decade now but it looks like I might need to dust off the old account (or create a new one) for this hobby

The bad news is, when I went to load batteries into my radio I found that I misplaced the battery holder and off course its a discontinued part. That's my standard luck so I'm not surprised! lol

I found one on ebay but its an auction that's already way overpriced but I'll probably have to suck it up and pay the price if I can win the auction. Assuming I do, I'll find the original about a week later (That's just the kind of luck I have).

Been there, done that friend.

2 things helped me greatly.

1: Knowing ALL of the product line during the years the current vehicle you're working on was made. Tamiya, Tokyo Marui, Kyosho, many of the kit manufacturers were known to heavily re-use parts between models.

2: Learning to bend the worlds largest catalog to your will. aka: Internet Research...

* Give using this a try as well, so you can search more areas for hits all at once. Tracking down these items can be a pain in the rear.
https://www.searchtempest.com/

* Create a saved search on Ebay, and have it alert you of new posts that match.

* Also, a side tip that sounds counter intuitive... Reach out to some of the posts on CL and FBMarket looking to BUY vintage R/C. Most of them are collectors and/or restoration folks and are more than happy to enable another collector to find parts and restore old R/C's.

Last edited by diezel666; 03-29-2024 at 10:53 PM.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Check in the transmission that the ball diff still works properly, and there's a plastic brace under the gear cover that supports the counter gear that tends to crack. If they are in good shape, it should do fine as long as you take it easy. The transmission was designed for the Madcap/Astute and is undersized for truck duty. Heck, it was undersized for buggy duty.

Any 2.2 stadium tire should work really, lots of options out there. Wheels are a bit odd - rears are standard 12mm, the fronts have a long axle which is an older design. There are several wheel options from Tamiya - Blitzer Beetle/Stadium Blitzer wheels and tires are probably the closest fit.

A restro ESC you would find out on Ebay, though modern Tamiya equivalents are a dime a dozen and probably a lot less headache. The TBLE's are decent for silvercans and very smooth.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:09 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
just use a small lipo battery AA battery's run a little over 2 volts when fully charged if your old radio used 8 AA battery's that's 16 volts at 1.5v that's 12v and would probably work down too 8 volts so a 3s or 4s battery is in the working voltage range of your radio and the small lipos cost less than AAs anyway
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Check in the transmission that the ball diff still works properly, and there's a plastic brace under the gear cover that supports the counter gear that tends to crack. If they are in good shape, it should do fine as long as you take it easy. The transmission was designed for the Madcap/Astute and is undersized for truck duty. Heck, it was undersized for buggy duty.

Any 2.2 stadium tire should work really, lots of options out there. Wheels are a bit odd - rears are standard 12mm, the fronts have a long axle which is an older design. There are several wheel options from Tamiya - Blitzer Beetle/Stadium Blitzer wheels and tires are probably the closest fit.

A restro ESC you would find out on Ebay, though modern Tamiya equivalents are a dime a dozen and probably a lot less headache. The TBLE's are decent for silvercans and very smooth.
As for the wheels and tires, I think I'm just going to buy a few that look like possibilities and see what works.

As for the ESC, I may just get a newer (new) Tamiya as I am leery of buying used electronics, especially 30 yo stuff! lol
Old 03-31-2024, 12:29 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
As for the wheels and tires, I think I'm just going to buy a few that look like possibilities and see what works.

As for the ESC, I may just get a newer (new) Tamiya as I am leery of buying used electronics, especially 30 yo stuff! lol
If you wish to keep it Vintage I totally understand. However, if you're looking for a low cost ESC that will do the job, don't overlook the Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...c-2-3s-brushed
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diezel666 View Post
If you wish to keep it Vintage I totally understand. However, if you're looking for a low cost ESC that will do the job, don't overlook the Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...c-2-3s-brushed
Thanks for the link and the info in your first post. I actually replied to it as well but having a new account, my first few posts have to be approved my mods and that seems to take a while around here? Looks like I may be past that part now?

I want to restore a Tamiya KC - Need help with parts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
restore the house EGRESSor Chit Chat 39 05-08-2016 01:29 AM
Tamiya Bruiser restore log + seeking advice cragv 2.2 Scale Rigs 22 07-22-2012 05:56 AM
How To Properly Restore Headlights Gimp Chit Chat 20 08-13-2011 01:00 PM
First Scaler - Project: Restore TAMASKA Axial SCX-10 11 08-30-2010 08:27 PM