Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: lilpanther's MGT Brushless conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default lilpanther's MGT Brushless conversion

I was chatting with an old BYT member awhile back and he mentioned he had an MGT 8.0 laying around that he wasn't going to do anything with and asked if I wanted to buy it so I said what the heck, I wouldn't mind getting to build one of these trucks. I am running a center diff set-up and a 2200kv Castle motor with a MM2 ESC.

So here it is as it showed up.

After that my center diff mount / motor mount came in. It is an extremely beefy piece and I was surprised it got here so fast from Greece. When I bought the truck the guy sent me a Losi 8ight center diff to try and use but the bearings are too small and the spur to big so I need to order 2 bearings for the center diff and a 48t spur gear and I can get it mounted in the truck.

After that I got my new spur gear and bearings for the center diff along with the front dog bone.

And here it is today before I took it out for a run.

My first run was a mess so I'm not going to post a video of that run because the truck would only turn right and the oil in the center diff was too light. I had to change holes in the servo arm to get it to turn both left and right and I put 500k fluid in the center diff and now it's close to being how I want it. I am running a 19 tooth spur and the motor gets a little warmer than I like so I will be ordering a 14 tooth spur for it to help with the heat.

Here is a video of me running it after I fixed the steering and put 500k oil in the center diff. I am only running on 3s in this video and it is still wicked powerful.

lilpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: lilpanther's MGT Brushless conversion

Pretty sweet! The MGT was one of the best monster trucks built back in the TMaxx/Savage/MGT days. It's so beefy everywhere you look. Looks like a lot of fun on 3S. Makes me wish I had held on to mine after I blew the motor.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont slow down View Post
Pretty sweet! The MGT was one of the best monster trucks built back in the TMaxx/Savage/MGT days. It's so beefy everywhere you look. Looks like a lot of fun on 3S. Makes me wish I had held on to mine after I blew the motor.
Thanks. I was surprised how fun it is on 3s. Once I get a smaller pinion on it I might try it on 4s.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That's what I was gonna say, even smaller pinion and 4s. These pics looked familiar to me from BYT awhile back, correct?

Just saw an older broken down mgt (not 8.0) at my buddy's house... Thinking of trying to convince him to trade it over. Had a Savage a few years back, was a tough truck but always wanted another MT for some odd reason.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
That's what I was gonna say, even smaller pinion and 4s. These pics looked familiar to me from BYT awhile back, correct?

Just saw an older broken down mgt (not 8.0) at my buddy's house... Thinking of trying to convince him to trade it over. Had a Savage a few years back, was a tough truck but always wanted another MT for some odd reason.
It depends on how far back awhile back is, I've only been building the truck for about a month.

I would go for it, I wasn't sure how I would like it when I bought it but after getting it put together I am in love with how this thing runs and drives. I've sold off my MT's a few times but i always end up coming back to them because they are fun to drive and strong when you wreck them. A savage is actually the only MT I haven't had, ad of right now I have an erevo, emaxx, lst2, and this mgt. I've thought about picking up a savage and converting it.

lilpanther's MGT Brushless conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MGT electric conversion? bretkissick Non Crawler RC's 2 07-22-2014 03:23 PM
lilpanther's Wraith lilpanther Axial Wraith 12 01-02-2014 09:34 PM
Brushless Associated MGT - Wannabe FOFF rig cummins driver Formula Offroad 0 05-04-2011 09:03 PM