Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Just got a Sportmaxx, powerplant suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Just got a Sportmaxx, powerplant suggestions?

Just picked up a Traxxas Sportmaxx (2wd T-Maxx) it has a totally seized up 2.5 on it, I don't know jack about nitro engines but I'm not afraid to learn. What to do with this (other than install the 4wd upgrade)? Grab a 2.5r or do a brushless conversion? not looking to spend the extra on the 3.3 considering I may very well blow/burn it up in my learning process.
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just got a Sportmaxx, powerplant suggestions?

If it were me, I would send the 2.5 in to traxxas and upgrade to the 3.3 on the power-up program. It's cheaper than buying the engine outright and they will take it even though its seized.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
If it were me, I would send the 2.5 in to traxxas and upgrade to the 3.3 on the power-up program. It's cheaper than buying the engine outright and they will take it even though its seized.

That's what I did with mine years ago. Huge difference between the two engines, the 3.3 has way more power. Brushless has its benefits though...and you'll want to convert it to 4wd.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ended up with a turnigy trackstar 2300kv 1/8 scale brushless setup, $98 to my door, now for a how2rc motor mount, pinion gear, 3 or 4s lipo and Reciever and I should be popping wheelies real soon.
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wehan View Post
Ended up with a turnigy trackstar 2300kv 1/8 scale brushless setup, $98 to my door, now for a how2rc motor mount, pinion gear, 3 or 4s lipo and Reciever and I should be popping wheelies real soon.
I don't know how far you have gotten into this project yet, but I had a brushless T-Maxx that I converted to an SCT for awhile and was running a 2650kv 3674 motor and it was tough on the driveline and can't imagine what it would do with the monster truck tires. The first time you blow your rear driveshaft (from the tranny to rear end) you'll want to get some Revo drive cups and a metal dogbone and that will fix that (I forget the dogbone length). Then, you'll find the next weak link and will probably need to upgrade to E-Maxx or T-Maxx 3.3 rear diff. After that, it should be fairly bullet proof.
83imp is offline   Reply With Quote

Just got a Sportmaxx, powerplant suggestions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got my new powerplant SinCity Axial SCX-10 24 03-29-2011 01:00 PM
A good source for 1/8 scale powerplant... slolx50 General Scale Talk 4 12-10-2008 07:15 AM