Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: quadcopter advice - phantom or hubsan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default quadcopter advice - phantom or hubsan?

so, i'm thinking of expanding out and getting a quadcopter. it will be my first but i'm thinking about going in big (relatively speaking). I know a lot of guys on this forum also have quadcopters so i'm looking for some advice.

I want to start with a RTF system and from the research I've done the phantom 3 seems like one of the go to models if you can get one. but I've seen the hubsan x4 pro deluxe popping up and it seems to be loaded with features, although not available yet. here are some of the things I've noted:
  • hubsan runtime (30+ minutes) sounds really good
  • hubsan parachute recover could be a plus but not sure if it is a gimmick
  • hubsan build in android device is sweet but I worry about what happens if it breaks and if the placement will not be ergonomically effective. in the case the phantom seems to have the advantage because you just use an existing smart device you have.
  • both come with cameras, 3-axis gimbal, etc. I already have a gopro I would use if it is compatible with the copter and I could buy it with out a camera (which may not be an option)
so, looking for the smart people out there to weigh in. I don't know how to compare them feature to feature since i'm pretty green to this market so I want to get educated. not looking to start a brand preference war!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #2

Default Re: quadcopter advice - phantom or hubsan?

Get yourself a small quad to practice with first. Nanoqx or similar.
Wavekatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavekatcher View Post
Get yourself a small quad to practice with first. Nanoqx or similar.
I did consider doing that. I have played with some quads before so I'm not a complete newb with them. I figured with the flight stabilization systems on the higher end models would be helpful.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I love my Husband X4. It can be adjusted to your flying abilities. The 2mp is really good and is easy to use. Plus at $50 its almost disposable.
(redbeard) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:33 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have a syma quadcopter and I love it. It was around $50 to $65 I think. It comes with 3 lipos and is RTF. It also has a camera on it so it can take a video and pictures some of the pictures that I have taken so far have been really cool. Its not big big but just big enough to be noticeable. It also has a self leveling system built in.
humve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:07 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by humve View Post
I have a syma quadcopter and I love it. It was around $50 to $65 I think. It comes with 3 lipos and is RTF. It also has a camera on it so it can take a video and pictures some of the pictures that I have taken so far have been really cool. Its not big big but just big enough to be noticeable. It also has a self leveling system built in.
What model did you get? Given the capabilities and price point this may be an option to start me off.

Last edited by jebster; 06-27-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Fixed wing is way cooler.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The model is X5C. I don't know if I will get another one because I like this one so much.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

They are also very ease to fly.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by humve View Post
They are also very ease to fly.
I've been reading up on them. The one thing I have to get use to is the short flight time. So use to slapping giant lipos in my crawlers and scalers and running forever!
Old 06-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

There is a big difference between having a hand size lipo and 1 1/2 run time to a watch size lipo and about 5 minutes or a little more of flite time. It comes with three lipo battery's and you can charge more than three at one time. I would suggest it for any one that wants to get into it for a beginner. If you like pictures that are high like from an airplane this is it.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #12

I second the thought of getting the small hubsan x4 H107 line of quads, either the barebones H107L or the one with a camera, H107C. They are easy to grasp the concept of flying a quadcopter, are small enough to fly indoors, and can really take a beating. Once you get a hang of flying the little quad and have crashed it enough, then move onto a bigger one. It's cheap insurance to learn on the little guy than to blow the bank on a phantom and crash it immediately or worse yet, have to rely on its technology to really fly. (GPS/Altitude hold/return to home, etc.)
twodollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I decided to hit the middle ground. Something a little bigger but not going all in on the hubsan or phantom. I ordered the syma x8c. At $120 shipped and capable of carrying a camera I thought it would be a good start.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:19 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Guys seriously if you want the best head start, get the DJI FlameWheel F450 ARF Kit.

For less than $300 they give you everything except the radio, battery...and something else i cant remember yet.

Check them out, and in the end you wont be left with a paper weight, you'll have something that will and can forever evolve. They run NAZA software, basically you
can build your own Phantom for around half the cost.

This is the DJI Innovations Flame Wheel F450 Almost-Ready to Fly Quadcopter Kit with included E300 Motors, E300 ESC's & Propellers.
The Flame Wheel F450 is a multi-rotor flying platform designed for amateur aerial photography, first person view applications, and general flying entertainment. When combined with the NAZA autopilot system, hovering and cruising are almost effortless, while rolling and other advanced maneuvers can be more easily performed.
The frame is easy to build, and the PA66+30GF material used in the frame arms is incredibly durable. The optimized frame design delivers plenty of space for an autopilot system, and the high strength PCB frame board makes wiring the ESC's and batteries safe and easy. Pick up a Flame Wheel and see how much fun multi-rotor aircraft can be.
Features:
  • Frame Arms: PA66+30GF ultra-strength material design, provide better crash worthiness.
  • High Strength Compound PCB Frame Board: Makes wiring of ESCs and battery safer and easier.
  • Optimized Frame Design: Provides abundant assemble space for autopilot systems.
  • Different Color Frame Arms: Red and white, makes your flight more colorful.
Specifications:
  • Model: Flame Wheel 450 (F450)
  • Frame Weight: 282g
  • Diagonal Wheelbase: 450mm
  • Takeoff Weight: 800g ~ 1600g
  • Recommended Propeller: 10 x 4" or 8 x 4.5"
  • Recommended Battery: 3S~4S LiPo
  • Recommended Motor: 22 x 15 or 22 x 12mm (Stator size)
  • Recommended ESC: 30A OPTO
Includes:
  • 4 x E300 ESC (15A)
  • 4 x E300 Motors (2212/920KV)
  • 4 x Blades (8 x 4.5)
  • 4 x Blades (10 x 4)
  • 1 x complete frame
Needed to Complete: 5-Channel aircraft transmitter system (minimum) 3S ~ 4S LiPo battery & charger Naza Autopilot system recommended (DJI-NAZA-M or DJI-NAZAMGPS)

Best drone you can get...well will be when your finished.

Last edited by Bully2RockRomper; 07-18-2015 at 03:23 AM.
Bully2RockRomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #15

The syma or the flamewheel (or flamewheel clones) are good choices. Parts are everywhere for when you crash and gives you the practice flying and tuning a larger quad.
twodollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote

quadcopter advice - phantom or hubsan? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phantom vision Peaker Non Crawler RC's 0 10-09-2013 03:33 PM