Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Wheely King VS Stampede?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wheely King VS Stampede?

Has anyone seen a good side by side picture, and performance comparison of the two?

Just curious to see how the new truck stands up to everyone's old favorite.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

They are 2 completely different styles of truck, not really fair comparing a straight axle to 4 wheel independent suspension. It's like comparing an E-Maxx to a TXT, or a H2 to a CJ. The Wheely King is begging for a 4wd conversion, the stampede is not. Wk axles are ready to bolt in a crawler, stampede axles are not. HPI builds things with extreme durability in mind, Traxxas does not.
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhenrik
They are 2 completely different styles of truck, not really fair comparing a straight axle to 4 wheel independent suspension. It's like comparing an E-Maxx to a TXT, or a H2 to a CJ. The Wheely King is begging for a 4wd conversion, the stampede is not. Wk axles are ready to bolt in a crawler, stampede axles are not. HPI builds things with extreme durability in mind, Traxxas does not.
Out of the box both trucks are designed to be a fun 2wd basher. Seems like a fair comparison to me. I'm not talking about what they can be modded into. I could mod my RC10 into a toaster oven if I was bored enough.

As for your last statement, that's total BS. There are very few trucks on the market that can take a beating like a stampede.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Willis
Out of the box both trucks are designed to be a fun 2wd basher. Seems like a fair comparison to me. I'm not talking about what they can be modded into.
Even though they are designed for slightly different purposes, it's not a terrible question about how they work stock. But who actually runs their trucks stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Willis
As for your last statement, that's total BS. There are very few trucks on the market that can take a beating like a stampede.
Have you owned comparable trucks made by Traxxas and HPI? My best example is comparing a T-Maxx to a Savage, I've had 3 of each. They ARE intended for the same purpose, same general design, etc. T-Maxx's explode on impacts that Savages can take over and over again. There is NO comparison on durability.

Now I haven't owned a Stampede... never will, but the Wheely King parts all look like they have the same durability in mind. Thinking about all the bashing videos (many hours) I've seen, I don't recall seeing a lot of Stampedes. RC10GT's with RPM add-ons seems like a much more common setup.

Last edited by swhenrik; 01-12-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I don't own either, but I have driven both.

IMO, I like the Wheely King.

It was just fun to drive and the wheely action put it over the top for me.

Both are a blast, and I would purchase either one in a minute if I were looking for a basher!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well I own both. Even though I havent received my WK I'll be able to compare them in very tough conditions. I think that the Pede will beat the WK in a track race both being stock that is. I ordered my pede for this deployment i'm on right now and it broke within 5 minutes of running it. Problem: The hole in the top metal gear is not centered so once on the shaft it wobbles, and it shattered my idler gear. Being that i only disassembled it for transportation untill i got to my destination and reassembling it once i got here. The slipper clutch was left to factory tightness since i never touched that. Once i receive my parts (free upgraded ones from traxxas) It should be up and running again. Granted it takes about 2 weeks for things to get here from the US The parts for the pede should get here before my WK. I havent had lot's of luck with Traxxas period. My revo constantly broke, jumping it off the smallest jumps. I finally sold the thing and bought a LST2 and that thing smiles at what i throw at it. I personally think Traxxas's stuff is not as durable as other companies ie HPI or others.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have not idea about speed wise on the wheely truck, but I have a new pede just got it like 2 weeks ago. Well about 1 hour ago the police officer that hangs around the fire dept here told me he would clock it for me so he did, well with the brushless system in it, and almost half dead battery it ran 41MPH, clocked by the radar in his car. I wished the pede was 4x4 though.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulaVW69
My revo constantly broke, jumping it off the smallest jumps. I personally think Traxxas's stuff is not as durable as other companies ie HPI or others.
i launch my revo3.3 on a regular basis and i has not broken,
i would get a WK , that thing looks like a fun basher and if you get bored with it you can reuse the axles for a later project.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #9

traxxas is very durable (to me)i have not broke my stampede yet

Last edited by m0nkey98; 01-12-2007 at 01:21 PM.
m0nkey98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have both and I think the wk is alot more fun to play with in the yard,Traxxas has the best customer service there is and HPI has the exact opposite.But for me the wk with a faster motor and a better battery has been tons of fun!
doubledub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #11
I'm a stupid C U N T!

ive had nothing but good luck with HPI's customer service, when I got my hellfire, the frst run had weak susp. arms they shipped me 2 sets free and they were here in less than a week Now... the pede and WK are similar but differnt. the WK does just what is says. wheelies if you want to tool around and just drive its not so good. i really likes to wheely. the pede on the otherhand doesnt have that problem but it is considered a beginner truck by traxxas and I dont think that the durability is there. but like any truck if you know how to drive you can do some pretty amazing things with any truck but when was the last time you've ever seen a T-maxx land a 80ft drop off a cliff then hill climb back up, for 6 hours strait? My savage has
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I bought the new Stampede XL-5 in November and it has never worked right. The thing is a piece of crap. Traxxas customer service sucks, and they gave me the run-around until the thing was out of warranty. So now I have a $200 hunk of plastic sitting on the shelf. I won't buy another Traxxas vehicle or even run one of their trannys in my crawlers.
Wall-mart and Nylint have better customer service than Traxxas.
.....I'm not bitter or anything.......:?

edit: I should also post the problems I am having.
It is having radio problems. The range on it is only about 40 feet, and reverse only works when I get right up next to it. Yeah. it's fast but when you are out bashing, it would be nice to go a little further, and also back up when I get into a pickel.

Last edited by Manwhalo; 01-12-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Manwhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #13

Had a savage ss at one point and still have a a s-maxx. Didn't have anything but problems with the savage. Transmission came already assembled, so it was missing a piece for the two speed I didn't know about, parts started flyind around in it, needed all new gears after. Spur gear stripped in one tank, bought a metal gear, striped clutch bell in two tanks. Also it came with one wrong threaded axle shaft, and ate a glow plug every two tanks, and it was running rich most of the time.

Bought the s-maxx a month later, blew the motor up after 6 months, my fault, bought a new one, still have it three years later and still haven't broken anything on it, and I've run into plenty of stuff with it. And, the blow up motor I rebuild and put it back in a traxxas nitro sport which for some reason also still runs even though that's seen more abuse than it should have. Savage was gone about a month after I had it.

I've had no problems with traxxas, but I haven't gotten anymore HPI cars since.
95yj97xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yj97xj
Had a savage ss at one point and still have a a s-maxx.
That sounds like a total fluke to me..... I've read thousands of posts, owned 3 maxx's and 3 Savages, your results are NOT typical.

The Savage problems.... The set screw is a common thing to come loose, but it had to have come with the set screw in place in order for it to be floating around in the tranny later. Preventative maintenance is the key word here. Spur gear stripped? Just one? Learn to set the mesh and they last almost forever. And you never stripped one on the S-Maxx, yeah right! Metal spur gear on the Savage = BAD idea, just like you said, the clutch bell gets eaten, you NEED to change the clutch bell too! One wrong axle is common on Savages too. But to have ALL the problems on one truck, that's a bit hard to believe. Ate a glow plug every 2 tanks? That's 100% operator error.

But, assuming everything you say is true, if you got the S-Maxx first, and destroyed IT during the steep learning curve of Nitro, then got a Savage, I guarantee it would be a different story!

Possibly the best bashing videos in the world can be found here: http://www.slapmafro.com/ The bashing pros use Savages for a reason! There's also a lot of footage of a HPI Nitro MT getting the snot beat out of it!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:22 AM   #15

[quote=swhenrik]That sounds like a total fluke to me..... I've read thousands of posts, owned 3 maxx's and 3 Savages, your results are NOT typical.

I'll agree with that, that's why I bought it to begin with. The two speed was actually missing one of the pins for the clutch to catch on, so it never shifted right and then I tried to adjust it to get it to work, and then the setscrew fell out.

I did have the nitro sport two months before the savage, and that now still has all the original gears and so does my s-maxx also, no stipped spurs on those, go figure.

My brother ended up with the savage, I had fixed the transmisson and he put another motor in it, then it worked fine.
95yj97xj is offline   Reply With Quote