Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Overhead Crane Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 02:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Overhead Crane Build

Not sure if this fits or what kind of interest it will have, but it will be RC! Also very impractical.

I’ve had this idea for a while, I actually started accumulating parts a while ago and have a large stash of previously scrounged goodies that I hope to use.

So basically I want to build an RC sized overhead crane. Said crane will ride on a track suspended from the ceiling in the small shop attached to the garage. (My Man Cave)

As of now the track is looking like it will be made of 1-1/2” box tubing. I would really like to make it out of 80/20 but it’s a more expensive than I can really justify and I have the box tubing already.

I’m not sure how big I am going to go yet, I’m hoping for about 19’ long tracks about 12’ apart. Keeping the unit tracking nicely and not binding is my concern I may not be able to go that wide.

I’m thinking of about a 20-30lbs lifting capacity. Not a lot but it should easily lift any RC I have and anything they can carry themselves. The unit itself will be fairly heavy and could probably lift a lot more but the structure of the building would eventually come into play so 20-30lbs it is.

This could very well be a pretty slow build but hopefully this thread will keep me going on it when life gets busy.

So anyway enough yackin...

Here is where I’m currently sitting. I have the end trucks started. The project will use a lot of skateboard/roller blade wheel bearings since they’re cheap.

Bearings will be inserted into the bores on the ends and captured with screws and nuts. I was going to tap the small holes for 3mm screws to capture the bearings (3 from each side) but I messed up and the only way to save the parts was to clearance drill the holes and use nuts.

The square pockets will receive aluminum blocks that box tubing will slide over and bolt to, to create the bridge rails.

I’ll post updates as I make more progress!
happymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Overhead Crane Build

Love it, I'll be watching this one..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Im in.
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So over the weekend I was able to mill out the blocks that fit into the pockets of the end trucks. The blocks are 2” OAL and the pockets are .125” deep. The blocks are held in with 6mm SHCS.

I milled the blocks .001” smaller per side than the pockets. (.002” total clearance) This will help keep them square to the end trucks and hopefully keep the box tubing that will slide over the blocks square as well. I realize I will be at the mercy of how straight the box tubing is and this was probably unnecessary. The other 6mm tapped holes will fasten the box tubing to the end truck assemblies.

I don’t recall what the clearance is between the tubing and the blocks, I measured it all a few months back and went off my notes and drawings. Hopefully it all fits!!

I also forgot to mention the large cylinder is a solid bar with an eye bolt that weighs 20lbs on the nose. This is my test weight for when I get farther in the project and need something to lift. The beer can is for scale...and to get under the skin of the beer snobs.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well I finally had a little time to work on the crane.

I turned the roller wheels and axles and got them mocked up. For now the wheels are just plain steel, I may have to add some groves for o-rings if they don’t provide enough traction.

The bearings are 8mm bore roller blade/skate board bearings. I haven’t decided if I like the nuts or cap screw side out yet. The bore in the end trucks is a tight slip fit with the bearing OD.

I plan on using two traction motors driving one wheel per end truck. The axle shafts will mate to Traxxas Summit center shafts and then to the gear motors. Only two axles need to mate up to the traxxas shafts but I turned all 4 axles the same in case I need to use 4 traction motors for whatever reason.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Have you mentioned what rails you will use? Will there be a winch?
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #7

Pretty looking build so far. I loved machined metal.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
Have you mentioned what rails you will use? Will there be a winch?

As of now rails will be 1-1/2” box tubing suspended from the ceiling.

There will be a winch. Essentially there will be 3 axes of movement, X, Y, and Z like in the example picture.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Pretty looking build so far. I loved machined metal.

Thanks, it would almost be a shame to paint it. I don’t know yet if I will paint it or not. If I do it will be yellow and blue, that’s the color scheme of every 1:1 crane like this I’ve been around.

Overhead Crane Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overhead Shop Camera Trolly Project Harley Videos! 0 07-15-2013 11:44 AM
Overhead (or underneath) Pic of 380 vs 540 motors JKMotorsports Redcat Crawlers 6 02-10-2012 10:04 PM
Crane Cams is No More Shaun Chit Chat 20 03-26-2009 06:50 AM
For those of you looking to build a crane... Rudukai13 Chit Chat 0 10-31-2007 11:55 PM