Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: 1/12 Lunchbox Monster van kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default 1/12 Lunchbox Monster van kit

Just found out about this and am looking at ordering it in the next couple days. Before doing so I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this kit.

It looks like it comes with mostly everything except perhaps the receiver and transmitter as well as the Servo? If so, I’d be looking for suggestions for what would work well in this size rig.

I likely won’t drive it or bash it much, but don’t want it to be a complete shelf queen either.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-vehicles...yABEgI-6_D_BwE

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1/12 Lunchbox Monster van kit

The stock shocks are terrible. They aren't oil filled. It is really easy to put oil the rear. I used some old brackets for the front.
12MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

It comes with friction dampers, as mentioned above, and plastic or brass bushings. You should have a bearing kit on hand when you build it. The friction dampers can always be upgraded later. The friction dampers add to the old school, bouncy appeal though so you might choose to leave them.

It will be a fun and easy build and in the end it will be really fun to drive especially if you love wheelies. The hardest part, for me, is painting hard bodies.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

you can mess with these things for days, but for me they're just as fun stock as they are modded out with shocks, motor, fifth shock mod, etc... This chassis has been around since the 80's, so if you search on the internet, there is tons of info on these.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post

It looks like it comes with mostly everything except perhaps the receiver and transmitter as well as the Servo? If so, I’d be looking for suggestions for what would work well in this size rig.
Correct. A fancy servo isn't needed, so you can go with whatever affordable 2 channel radio and standard-size servo is easily available. You can't go wrong. (Don't forget a battery and charger)

IMO you can't have more fun in R/C for less money. Do it!
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've been wanting to put one of these on like maybe a CC01 chassis with the lowrider optional parts... make the punisher's battle van, complete with belt fed mini-gun on the roof.
iirc, these are on the same chassis as midnight pumpkin, the monster beetle, and... the first blackfoot?

lunchboxes are cool and i don't know why we haven't seen tons more done with these!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
I've been wanting to put one of these on like maybe a CC01 chassis with the lowrider optional parts... make the punisher's battle van, complete with belt fed mini-gun on the roof.
iirc, these are on the same chassis as midnight pumpkin, the monster beetle, and... the first blackfoot?

lunchboxes are cool and i don't know why we haven't seen tons more done with these!
it won't fit. iirc, the van body is about an 8.5" (216 mm?) wheelbase and the shortest wheelbase on the CC01 is about 9.5" (242mm).

the body on the van is also much skinnier than the chassis on the CC01

EDIT: if you fell ike doing some fabbing, (and keep it all tamiya) you can fit TLT axles under the Lunchbox with a little work.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

Awesome. Thanks for all the responses. I’m going to order it this weekend and start the build.

If anyone has a link to shock and bearing upgrades please share. This will be my first build from a kit and my first non 1/10 scale so I appreciate all the help.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I bash mine hard. I can tell you its tough. I have done a couple of Hop Ups over time and its fast enough and stays on its wheels most of the time now.

First thing to do are the bearings. https://fasteddybearings.glopal.com/...campaign=en_US

While you build decide if you want to control the rear better. The 5th shock is cool, but I found it to still slap the chassis and make a horrible noise. I ended up putting a solid link in. Still articulates perfectly.
I replaced the silver can with a sport tuned motor. Its slightly faster and wheelies like crazy. Add a heat sink.

Do the front shock tower brace. Also the back. The chassis flexes like mad.

The CW01 CVA shock set is wonderful. Takes the unwanted bounce out of the truck. Its less prone to tipping in corners. http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-84365-s...?cPath=389_390

As for the servo, I’m running a simple cheap Blue Bird ‘super fast’ plastic gear. It hasn’t failed yet. The front wheels don’t touch the ground that often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, you definitely got a few scratches on that thing Bud
Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Awesome info Hugo, thank you.

Will the same size Servo (traxxas 2056) and receiver and transmitter fit into the lunch box that is in the normal traxxas rtr cars? Traxxas tq. If so I think I may grab a new set up for one of those and swap those pieces into the lunch box.

Looking at this for the motor... https://www.amazon.com/RS540-Sport-T.../dp/B00061HB0K

Any info/links you provide about the shock towers and link you did would be great too.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Awesome info Hugo, thank you.

Will the same size Servo (traxxas 2056) and receiver and transmitter fit into the lunch box that is in the normal traxxas rtr cars? Traxxas tq. If so I think I may grab a new set up for one of those and swap those pieces into the lunch box.

Looking at this for the motor... https://www.amazon.com/RS540-Sport-T.../dp/B00061HB0K

Any info/links you provide about the shock towers and link you did would be great too.
The 2056 should fit, but it's a plastic gear servo. I recommend a PowerHD metal gear servo over that.

The Traxxas transmitter will work fine

I'm pretty sure the kit comes with a motor.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

No problem, glad to help. I went through a lot of changes on the lunchie to get it set up the way I like.

The front tower brace:

The rear shock braces:

The rear’s centre pivot:
On the gearbox:
The rod:

Strut for rear lower shock mounts and wheelie bar strut:

As you can see, theres a lot of space for electronics:

Its such a fun truck. Always puts a smile on my face when I run it.

Other things I have done:
Stock CVA Short shock oil. Hard springs up front, soft at the back. Otherwise it goes ass over head on bad bumps.
Sport tuned like you linked.
Greased the hell out of the differential. My wheels seems like they can spin for days.
Alu body mounts as the plastic ones didn’t last long....
Foam on the front and rear of the chassis to stop the body from rattling ALL the time.
Moved the servo to have the horn almost centre of the chassis.
I have 5mm nylon washers on the front shafts behind the wheels to take up the slack and play when the nuts are tightened down. Also in the sliders on the gearbox where the pin runs in. There is a lot of l/r movement. One each side. Basically used the washers everywhere it had play.

Mine runs as a lunchie should, just quieter and doesn’t just tip for anything. Personally I don’t see the point in a faster motor. If you bash it, its fast enough with the sport tuned. Any faster and you will be rolling and crashing very spectacularly. I run 3300 NiMh packs. Weight seems cool. Does almost 2 hrs on a slow trail too! Lol.

Hope that helps!

Go out and buy one now!

Last edited by HugoBiermann; 01-17-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have been running my cheapo blue bird plastic servo for loooong. Have never skipped a beat. The front wheels hardly see any ground action. Don’t be too bothered about breaking it for now. Just have a spare incase its actually ever needed. Also, the supplied saver is very soft. Brilliant for the plastic servo’s

Old 01-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
it won't fit. iirc, the van body is about an 8.5" (216 mm?) wheelbase and the shortest wheelbase on the CC01 is about 9.5" (242mm).

the body on the van is also much skinnier than the chassis on the CC01

EDIT: if you fell ike doing some fabbing, (and keep it all tamiya) you can fit TLT axles under the Lunchbox with a little work.
i saw somebody put one over, i think it was an M06 chassis? that could work!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:34 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

You're gonna LOVE it!!! I've been piecing one together for about a year now (I'm THAT poor - although I could've BOUGHT TWO of them by now!) I also did a lot of Mods from the AmPro Engineering Shapeways Store. Stuff I couldn't have DREAMED about back in 86, when I bought my first one....
I've got a Killer Chassis, but STILL no Body! Mine has:

Double Wishbone front suspension (NO MORE wild camber/toe shifting every time I hit a bump, land a jump or go in reverse!)
Front and Rear Shock Tower Braces
Lower Shock Brace
Center Gearbox Pivot (No more SLAP BANG when accelerating!) And perfect articulation
Diff Locker (YES! AmPro has THAT too!)
Kimbrough Servo Saver (These things land at funny angles!)
Tamiya Torque-Tuned Motor (25 turn - Sport-Tuned is 23 turn)
Aluminum Body Posts
6oz. of Lead Weights in the cavity in front of the Servo (Actually helps handling)
Fast Eddy Bearing kit (ABSOLUTE necessity!!)

One thing to note..... The Lunchbox is one of the oldest RCs out there. It's also one of the most FUN bashers period!!
It will NEVER win a Race! It WON'T climb Rocks. What it WILL do, is put a big smile on your face!! Enjoy!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #17

I bought one back in 1987 as my first hobby grade RC, then proceeded to bash the sh!t out of it for a couple of years. I still have the tires somewhere in my stash of junk. I upgraded with Tamiya's own yellow plastic bodied oil dampers, but that was it. No bearings, no ESC, no faster motor. Behind my old Kyosho Optima, it was my absolute favorite RC EVER! They are extremely tough and will hold up to whatever you throw at it. DO IT! You'll love it!
smokinapankake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

RC Planet has the kit for $106.99 right now so I jumped on it.

Just ordered the bearings, shocks, sport tuned motor, and a 6 cell gens ace 5000mah since all I have are lipo. I’ll throw a traxxas servo in for the time being and i have a dx2e transmitter and receiver to use with it. I think that should get me started

Can’t wait! This and the bronco are going to make for a fun spring.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 02-23-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Any update on the box?

Old 03-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

Just waiting on the shocks to get here from HK but got the rest of it ready to go!

1/12 Lunchbox Monster van kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekno RC MT410 1/8th Scale Monster Truck Kit RichMTB01 Mega/Monster Trucks 10 06-23-2017 11:02 AM
a Van like tamiya lunchbox murky123 Paint and Body 11 12-26-2010 01:40 AM
Which Mamba Monster Kit should i get? wojin Non Crawler RC's 10 07-21-2009 01:16 PM