Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: My Espelir AE86

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My Espelir AE86

My new drift built Toyota Espelir AE86..

Rollbar from brake tubing.

Build a sliding window.
Adding triangle net.
Change the rims.
Add rear wing.
Make steering wheel.

Weight about 2300 grams.

More pics to come..
deephis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My Espelir AE86

What is that? Is that a mini Q? Looks BAD ASS! I like it!
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It’s 1/10 scale, chassis is MST RMX 2.0S.

Thanks..
Old 04-10-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Made sliding window and changed the rims.

Also Made a front bash bar.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Thats cool! Let's see some videos of it sliding around.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

Great looking build.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephis46 View Post
It’s 1/10 scale, chassis is MST RMX 2.0S.

Thanks..
LOL. Sorry. I for some reason thought it was a mini Z or Mini Q scale.

Looks bad ass man. I like seeing all these MST's in here! Drifting is a lot of fun.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Thats cool! Let's see some videos of it sliding around.
Soon, I will make short video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Great looking build.
Thanks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
LOL. Sorry. I for some reason thought it was a mini Z or Mini Q scale.

Looks bad ass man. I like seeing all these MST's in here! Drifting is a lot of fun.
lol might be the angle when taking photos

Thanks, I just tested the body all hold up fine in place.

Latest pic,

Not finish yet, tomorrow will add rear wing and steering wheel.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Run videos...

https://youtu.be/zJTCk8nsyEo

I actually did make a backfire for a while. Some videos of it..

https://youtu.be/TuYZbdW6oxo

https://youtu.be/DTbU61XDO3c
Old 04-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Run videos...

https://youtu.be/zJTCk8nsyEo

I actually did make a backfire for a while. Some videos of it..

https://youtu.be/TuYZbdW6oxo

https://youtu.be/DTbU61XDO3c
Impressive! I wish mine drove that smooth. You make that look so easy.

I kind of want to send you mine to test and or tune now.

The after fire was cool! I tried doing that with a lighter. Failed. Then I got an ebay smoke exhaust with after fire LED. That worked well until I put E cig juice in it. MAN did it REALLY make smoke! But we all turned green faced in the fumes! Then Super G told me both of that was illegal at the track and ended up weith his afterfire LED kit.

But the real thing looks best! Well done!
Old 04-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Impressive! I wish mine drove that smooth. You make that look so easy.

I kind of want to send you mine to test and or tune now.

The after fire was cool! I tried doing that with a lighter. Failed. Then I got an ebay smoke exhaust with after fire LED. That worked well until I put E cig juice in it. MAN did it REALLY make smoke! But we all turned green faced in the fumes! Then Super G told me both of that was illegal at the track and ended up weith his afterfire LED kit.

But the real thing looks best! Well done!
Thanks, that actually some of a good run the rest not that smooth though
Still learning and also I get the oversteer is too much that pretty easy to spin. I played the throttle in that video, run at below of half throttle.
Do I need to have more grip on the rear or front? Right now I put hard spring with Yokomo 200 shock oil on front end and put soft spring with Yokomo 150 shock oil on rear end.

Not the best photo from the front, but I setup the shocks vertically.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Do I need to have more grip on the rear or front? Right now I put hard spring with Yokomo 200 shock oil on front end and put soft spring with Yokomo 150 shock oil on rear end.
Sorry, I have no clue on tuning. The only thing I did was change my front springs to the MST hard ones.

Im using MST hard spring # 820103-3 up front with 10WT oil

And I keep the rear stock with soft spring (yellow/purple) 820104-4 with 10W oil in the back.

My car came with the (red) front spring 820103-4, but I found it to be way to soft. My car would not rebound if I pushed it down in front but would in rear. So thats why I tried harder front springs.

I was under the impression you want it firmer up front and soft in the back spring wise. Im using 10W shock oil and it shifts weight well. 100 sound very heavy?

But based on what I saw in your video, yours sure seems to drive better than mine! LOL.

The owner of SUPER G is on instagram and he has been most helpful to me on PM. He will tell you want people use at the track. Whats popular and whats not. He seems to be very helpful without trying to push a sale.

Maybe ask him. Because other than upgrading the shocks to the MST metal ones and using a harder spring rate up front, mine is setup like this sheet. Oh yeah! I upgraded my motor and ESC to a 13.5T and I TOO have my power down to 50-60%. I cant control the thing with much more than 60% power.

Mine pretty much copies all these settings.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 04-16-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I actually tried change my springs front and rear. And have my weight shifted to rear, by lowering rear height and up the front end. It looks like more controllable.

My body weight is a ton haha, really the rollbar and bash bar is steel tubing. Front heavy..
And my wheels are aluminum.

This is my setup for now..

“100 sound very heavy?”, I don’t really sure. Different manufacture maybe have different viscosity. But I felt stock 10wt oil from MST is thicker.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I actually tried change my springs front and rear. And have my weight shifted to rear, by lowering rear height and up the front end. It looks like more controllable.

My body weight is a ton haha, really the rollbar and bash bar is steel tubing. Front heavy..
And my wheels are aluminum.

This is my setup for now..

“100 sound very heavy?”, I don’t really sure. Different manufacture maybe have different viscosity. But I felt stock 10wt oil from MST is thicker.
Gorgeous setup. I love your car. I think it looks bad ass! And I like a little weight. I seem to think its easier to control with a little weight.

If your oil feels lighter than MST 10, then I think you are good. But what do I know. Im new to this. And your car looks like the ones from the SUPER G videos so you must be doing it right.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Got this...

Also I’m testing Turbo and Boost from the esc..really like how it sound..

https://youtu.be/256rObZEva4

@BIGW0RM,
Thanks, still tweaking my rig. Now front height is much higher, looks like 7mm height. I’m trying not to spin after long straight and drift after that. Throttle control...
Old 04-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Got this...

Also I’m testing Turbo and Boost from the esc..really like how it sound..

https://youtu.be/256rObZEva4

@BIGW0RM,
Thanks, still tweaking my rig. Now front height is much higher, looks like 7mm height. I’m trying not to spin after long straight and drift after that. Throttle control...

Ah your messing with boost abs turbo! I did that too. Heck yeah it sounds cool! I was not very successful at it though.

My motor has 42 degrees can timing preset. At one point I had like 28 degrees boost and like 30 degrees turbo. That sounded so cool, but it was too much for my little “xr10 pro stock. I’d hit 60-70c instantly.

I then learned that we really don’t want more than 60 degrees overall. At lest that’s what I read somewhere. So I dialed mine back to like 18 degrees boost only or turbo only. I tried both. Boost only was easier to for me to control over turbo.

While it still sounded cool, I found it so much harder to drive. And as of now, I only run stock can timing at like 60% dual rate. But I’m also driving on a two car long driveway.

I’d love to learn about your settings. Keep us posted!

Oh yeah mine is a hobbywing xr10 prostock with hobbywing 13.5 g3R motor.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ah your messing with boost abs turbo! I did that too. Heck yeah it sounds cool! I was not very successful at it though.

My motor has 42 degrees can timing preset. At one point I had like 28 degrees boost and like 30 degrees turbo. That sounded so cool, but it was too much for my little “xr10 pro stock. I’d hit 60-70c instantly.

I then learned that we really don’t want more than 60 degrees overall. At lest that’s what I read somewhere. So I dialed mine back to like 18 degrees boost only or turbo only. I tried both. Boost only was easier to for me to control over turbo.

While it still sounded cool, I found it so much harder to drive. And as of now, I only run stock can timing at like 60% dual rate. But I’m also driving on a two car long driveway.

I’d love to learn about your settings. Keep us posted!

Oh yeah mine is a hobbywing xr10 prostock with hobbywing 13.5 g3R motor.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you use Airia esc (I use this one), it will limit to 60deg. Even your setting 70deg for example.
This is my settings from esc..

Quote:
Boost only was easier to for me to control over turbo.
Yes you’re right, boost is smoother than using a turbo. I put 18deg in esc for turbo. I can set up the boost higher than 25deg, but I think 25deg is just right in my setup.

I’m using Speed Passion or SkyRC Cheetah motors that both 10.5T. I about to change my motor into 13.5T and keep my eye on that Hobbywing 13.5T G3 exactly like you run. But I’m not sure that will make the same sound haha. Did you get enough power from 13.5T motor? How many teeth your spur and pinion gears? mine are 92T and 25T.
Both motors I have right now, have different magnet strength. I feel The Cheetah (stronger magnet) has more louder sound.

With those esc settings, my motor temp roughly 49 - 52C, heatsink attached without motor fan.

This, https://youtu.be/V-lta23GzWQ. More realistic sound, I have tweak my esc to sounded like that but can’t get the sound equal.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If you use Airia esc (I use this one), it will limit to 60deg. Even your setting 70deg for example.
This is my settings from esc..

Yes you’re right, boost is smoother than using a turbo. I put 18deg in esc for turbo. I can set up the boost higher than 25deg, but I think 25deg is just right in my setup.

I’m using Speed Passion or SkyRC Cheetah motors that both 10.5T. I about to change my motor into 13.5T and keep my eye on that Hobbywing 13.5T G3 exactly like you run. But I’m not sure that will make the same sound haha. Did you get enough power from 13.5T motor? How many teeth your spur and pinion gears? mine are 92T and 25T.
Both motors I have right now, have different magnet strength. I feel The Cheetah (stronger magnet) has more louder sound.

With those esc settings, my motor temp roughly 49 - 52C, heatsink attached without motor fan.

This, https://youtu.be/V-lta23GzWQ. More realistic sound, I have tweak my esc to sounded like that but can’t get the sound equal.
I have more than enough power for the driveway. Not sure about the track though. Mine has the 80T spur with 22T pinion.

Mine came with a 17.5 sensorless that worked fine. But I wanted to hear boost/turbo so I upgraded mine to a Pro stock spec ESC and the 13.5 G3R motor. The second I did that, it was much harder to control. I felt like it was WAY too fast. Then again, I dont know what Im doing nor have I been to the track. But in my 4 car long driveway, I could not control it as easily.

So for now, I just have my dual rate dialed down a lot to make it more controllable.

I tried boosting and using turbo on the 13.5T motor and it was just way too much. I think stock can timing got me around 28000RPM motor RPM. And with boost and turbo, the motor RPM would hit 60-65K RPM!

I now have mine tuned to about 36000 motor RPM max via some boost and some dual rate dialed down.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Back to my RMX 2.0S, I removed top braces to get more flex from the chassis as I run on tile that so slippery. Read that if chassis get more flex and you get advantage of a traction.
I also upgraded the chassis with the carbon fiber.

And looks more cleaner without the top braces. Need to tidy up some wires though

My Espelir AE86 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota AE86 JDM Daily Drifter nascarkeith Non Crawler RC's 9 07-25-2014 07:22 AM
DM's Rally Car (e30) & AE86 Drift Modellista 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 7 01-25-2014 01:23 PM