Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Traxxas XMaxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
smp

Default Traxxas XMaxx

Hello folks,

I am a newbie here, as well as to all of RC Rock Crawling. I'm an old retired guy who built up a few Tamiya kits with the kids 30 years ago, but that is the entire extent of my experience. I discovered RC Rock Crawling and this place back last summer while looking for something new while hunkered down. I ended up purchasing an Axial Capra, and had some fun learning about crawling on the rocks at the edge of a tiny pond in my backyard. Now that pond has risen back up and those rocks are all covered with water and ice for the winter.

Again, back last summer, I subscribed to RC Car Action magazine. It seemed like a good idea at the time. The time lag until my first issue came was quite long, so I had forgotten all about it by the time my December issue came. There was a lengthy review of the Traxxas XMaxx - and I fell in love.

I held off, trying not to spend all that money for as long as I could, hoping that the desire might pass, but this week I succumbed and made my purchase. I am now awaiting its arrival.

I have read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of videos online. They generally seem to be positive, but I've also seen some very vocal reviews from folks who seem to have had just about everything one can imagine fail on this rig, and some of them have had repeat failures, too.

So, here I am as a newbie asking for any advice you folks may have to offer for what I should expect with my new beast.

I should add that I am not really a "wild and crazy guy" with my stuff. I've been learning about crawling with my Capra, and I haven't broken anything on it, if that is any example.

I do not expect to start right off with jumping the XMaxx off from cliffs - my yard is pretty tame. On the other hand, should I expect to have to handle this beast gently? Some of the videos online definitely do not handle it gently and do far more crazier things than I probably ever will.

So, what say you folks? Will this be a good adventure, or should I expect issues? If so, please let me have it. I need to hear all the experiences you might want to share both good and bad.

Thanks for listening!

smp

Last edited by smp; 12-30-2020 at 09:44 AM.
smp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Traxxas XMaxx

I don't have an X-maxx, so I cannot comment directly. But if you drive it sensibly like any RC it should do well for you. You've got to learn its limits.... From what I've seen, they are pretty tough beasts. The internet is full of morons who for some reason jump their truck off the side of their house or jam 6S into it and fly into an inanimate object, break it, and then complain it's junk. I've seen more than my share at the offroad tracks over the years.

I'm just amazed RCCA is still around, I thought they folded years ago!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Biggest issue seems to be its massive size. Mainly as in finding places you can run it to its full potential. So aslong as you have the space, you'll enjoy it. Traxxas has one of the best customer services (I've read, never experienced it), so any early issues will be resolved by them. One common issue seems to be the rear wheel bearings are undersized, so you may run into issues with them. Rpm and viviton( probably spelled that wrong) make oversized hubs for the rear for larger bearings ( the v company one has 3 bearings, but is a couple hundred bucks) and i think rpm makes it for the front now too. Maybe check out the traxxas forum, read up on what people complain about and have to upgrade. But like mentioned before, driving it reasonable will probably prevent most, if not all issues anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Traxxas has just about the best parts support/ parts availability of any RC company out there. They also have a great deal of upgrade parts and there are plenty of other aftermarket companies that make Traxxas specific upgrade parts too. Traxxas has a lot of videos and manuals with their vehicles and parts ( as well as all of the independent youtube install/ replacemenet tutorials). So I wouldn't be at all concerned with a Traxxas purchase ( I currently have five Traxxxas vehicles).

The more time that you take to get to know how a vehicle handles and what it's capabilities are, the more you'll be able to drive it responsibly and keep yourself out of trouble. If the X-maxx is what you think you want... Get it. They're a good company.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I love mine and have beat on it with very little issues. Stock servo sucks like all RTR so plan on upgrading soon but other then that run it and enjoy..
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #6
smp

Thanks a million for your responses, folks! Greatly appreciated, for sure. I'll keep you posted once my new toy arrives.

@OSRC: Yeah, I'm old, and my old habits die hard. Getting into a new hobby? Get a magazine subscription to support you. I'll give it a go for a year and see what else they get me to go out and buy! They also have a lot of stuff available online - for extra charges, of course. I've resisted that temptation so far.

smp
Old 12-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The drivetrain on the newer 8s rated xmaxx holds up much better than the original version, especially if you limit yourself to 6s. 6s will be plenty of power if this is your first go fast rig.

Like others said, the servo is a bit weak and slow for such a big truck, and the wheel bearings are perhaps undersized leading to frequent replacement of either the bearings, or spending the big bucks on upgraded knuckles with oversized bearings.

Otherwise its pretty rugged. Lightyears ahead of the original Maxx and Revo platforms in durability and serviceability.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
smp

Thanks, meatmonkey. Your advice is much appreciated. I purchased a "completer package" with 2 6700 mAH 4S batteries, and the Traxxas Dual Charger, so I probably will not be investing in a set of 3S batteries also. However, I see from the manual available online that the transmitter can be programmed for "training mode" that allows only half throttle forward and reverse while keeping brakes at 100%. I'll quite likely spend time in the training mode in order to get familiar with the vehicle, before graduating up to the normal (sport) mode and trying it out with full throttle.

In the meantime, I have been driving myself crazy watching all sorts of videos to get a grasp on:
- The stock tires balloon, so I'll need to get belted tires,
- I must remember to plug the wheel holes so no water gets in, and should I use duct tape, or shoe goo, or ...
- Many different suggestions for a different steering servo,
- Many different suggestions for a different ESC,
- Battery reviews indicating the newest 9000 mAH are absolutely incredible and will allow you to instantly pop the Maxx backwards onto its roof,
- All the amazing jumping videos that show nothing but perfect jumps - except that one "outtake" video that someone was brave enough to post so I could see what it might look like if I actually try to do it myself,

Well, you get the picture. Hopefully, I'll be able to start off slowly and get some good experience with the beast before I start to even think about getting into changing anything!

Thanks again!

smp
Old 12-31-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
smp

So, here I am, still watching all the videos I can stand about possible upgrades for the XMaxx... As I probably said before, I intend to start slowly with mine, but I'm starting to get a short list in my mind about what things might need attention after a while.

One of the things I notice is that none of the people who make videos about the XMaxx seem to handle it very gently at all - specifically, no one ever places the vehicle on the ground. Every video I see where someone is preparing to show me performance outside, they simply drop or even throw the vehicle down onto the ground or tarmac, or wherever they are. Why is this? Is it some sort of macho thing that no one cares to bend over and place the truck on the ground? Is there some "rule" of making videos about the XMaxx that demands that it be thrown around? Seems silly to me. I get it that this truck is rugged and it's a basher so it can take a beating, but really, does everyone adopt the attitude that it has to be thrown around, no matter what?

I did see a video this morning that disturbed me. It was a bring it home from the store, unbox it, rave about it, and then drive it around kind of video. The thing was that after one pass down the street maybe 60-70 meters, turn around and come back, after braking to a stop, the next time the throttle was blipped, a terrible grinding sound occurred and the truck was unable to go anywhere, with only the sound of the motor winding up, but no motion. Investigation appeared to show that the gear was not properly tightened on the motor driveshaft, came loose, and then proceeded to chew up itself and the bigger gear in the gearbox. Wow. I didn't expect that after maybe 30-45 seconds of a very first run.

So now this is a fear I have. I purchased an RTR because I want the truck to be ready to go without needing any intervention right away. Is there some sort of checklist that I ought to go through? I was not really anticipating any disassembly prior to trying to get familiar with it, especially since I'm not familiar with anything about the truck, I don't really know what I would be looking for. Is this kind of failure a common one with the XMaxx? Should I be concerned? What (hopefully few) things should I be looking at prior to pulling the throttle for the first time? I purchased my Axial Capra as an RTR, and everything has been excellent with it right from the start. Seeing this XMaxx video now has me worried.

Thanks for listening! Any and all advice and suggestions will be very welcome!

smp

Last edited by smp; 12-31-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Typos...
Old 12-31-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
RCC Addict

As to your first point... It doesn't matter. Traxxas vehicles are known to be pretty tough so often there's not much concern. Some people may throw their bashers on the ground to probably add a little flair, as if to say "Check out how tough this vehicle is". And there is also a third possibility that is likely more relevant, which is that after many many times putting your rig on the ground you simply get a little lax about how it hits the ground. I'm guilty of that with my bashers ( Traxxas Slash 4x4 & Stampede 2wd). When we're out playing, my old back gets sore pretty quick some days and so I often times just drop it on the ground. My crawlers I try to treat a little more nicely due to caring more about the scale accessories and because I have more high-end parts like the servos that I don't want to see abused unnecessarily. In the end... it doesn't matter. Just treat your junk how you think best.

As to your second point. A LOT of people have more money than brains. There's a lot of folks that for one reason or another ( excitement, ignorance, etc... can't be bothered to do very basic and rudimentary procedures before they take their newly acquired purchase outside. I think that it's also just another sign of this social-media driven crowd... Getting stuff posted ASAP takes priority over discretionary maintenance, inspections, etc.

Don't be worried but DO try to familiarize yourself with the basics... That means becoming familiar with your transmitter and the basic operational details of your vehicle. Before putting in the battery pack, it's not a bad idea to go over things and check to see that at the very least, there are no binding issues ( nothing getting stuck, no lose screws, etc). Also not a bad idea to cycle the suspension and check the differential gears for grease. Look at the drive-train to make sure there is no missing hardware, that wheel nuts are tight, etc. Your manual will help with that as will online tutorials and unboxing videos done with care... not indiscretion. Once you have your battery pack all charged, I would either set your rig on blocks or just temporarily remove the wheels... Then fire it up. Slowly press onto the throttle and steering inputs just to get an idea that everything looks and sounds good. I would at this point also check your servo... Cycle through left/ right full lock slowly and inspect for anything abnormal, inconsistent, or concerning. Again.. Your manual will walk you through these kinds of things.

Then once you've taken some time to familiarize yourself with some things, hit the dirt and gradually get a feel of the way she handles. You'll be fine.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
smp

Thanks very much comments and detailed guidance, HPD! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide this.

smp