Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Nikko Big Bubba RestoMod!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2023, 02:21 PM   #1

Smile Nikko Big Bubba RestoMod!

(Disclaimer, you can check out the video I made about this before you read my long paragraph, or opposite I don't care)

RestoMod https://youtu.be/rKx4pd8zGIA
Bashing https://youtu.be/c1SFzgEjqfo
Rock Crawling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=613qAspLlAg

So I bought a Nikko Big Bubba before Christmas without a controller, so naturally I had to modify it, however it would've been cool box stock, but oh well I won't be buying another one for a while. So to start off this project (which is already complete at this point) I went ahead and cracked it apart, which was interesting to say the least. The motor appears to be a 380/370 idk but it does a great job powering the truck. I started by looking at all of the wires connected to the board and cut them (I still have it if you need it let me know!) which was quite a bit of cutting Once I pulled that out I was able to see into the bathtub of a chassis. Nikko did this weird thing where they put a single rear diff at the back and had two driveshafts going upfront; one for each wheel. Every now and then I think I hear a click coming from the front gears, but that is more than I'm willing to mess with. Anyway, the wackiest part of this build is right here, as my brain turned into a blank slate when thinking about steering. Basically there is this big pit where the original steering servo slides down into and connects with some sort of steering mechanism. A stupid, but effective idea pops into my head as I find a old working Redcat servo in a bag. I take the original servo out and it actually has all the elements needed for me to pop a servo circuit board in there. I connected all of the wires and after some nice guessing as to where the wires go, I turned on the truck and it freakin worked! So I still have the original servo in this truck and it is definitely slow but hey this is the "mod" part of restomod. I put a Redcat receiver inside as that's what I had laying around, an unbranded ESC that came from China, and it worked! This truck drove for the first time in a really long time for sure. I was super happy at how well it drove and it goes 8-9 MPH! The high gear is basically useless for grass however the low gear is really good for that. I made a crawling video of this and a bashing video which it surprised me with it's performance. How do I input photos? My second thread ever on the forums!
Logan’s RCAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2023, 03:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Nikko Big Bubba RestoMod!

It's a Mabuchi 360 motor.

The big Bubba was my first ever RC... I've got a mint one in the basement, sans controller of course. Someday I'll get around to modding it.

As far as posting pics, I upload mine to Postimage, then just copy over the IMG tags.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 06:22 AM   #3

Smile Re: Nikko Big Bubba RestoMod!

Thank you OSRC for the info! I’ll try and get some neat pictures on here today. Was there any problems with the Bubba that I should know about?
Old 07-15-2023, 02:25 PM   #4

Smile Re: Nikko Big Bubba RestoMod!

Hope these links work!

[IMG]http://[url=https://postimg.cc/n9cRwXGT]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

If they don't work I'm not sure what to do
Old 07-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Nikko Big Bubba RestoMod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan’s RCAdventures View Post
Thank you OSRC for the info! I’ll try and get some neat pictures on here today. Was there any problems with the Bubba that I should know about?
I beat the wheels off mine at age 13, they are pretty tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan’s RCAdventures View Post
Hope these links work!...If they don't work I'm not sure what to do
They work!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool, nikko, partsbin special, restoration, truck

Nikko Big Bubba RestoMod! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today I bought my Holy Grail. (Marui Big Bear restomod) addiemonster Non Crawler RC's 3 09-15-2020 05:31 PM