Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Rustler no-prep ~ Boyle Special ~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2023, 11:19 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rustler no-prep ~ Boyle Special ~

In the early 2000s, the guy who got me into Hobby Grade RC cars was all about T-maxx and E-maxx monster trucks. I ended up buying his *already old, even back then* cars...

A *Mechanical Speed Control* Traxxas Rustler

Take a second to imagine all of this original glory: 20-turn Stinger brushed motor, 3 resistance each forward / rev MSC, 1200-1500mAh nicad packs, hard pin-knobs that didn't use foams, on 2.2 wheels, 27 mhz AM radio using rocks...

It got some upgrades along the way, but the aftermarket didn't care about these, nobody raced them, better parts for the newer stuff didn't always fit... There was a "Jang" website about tuning and upgrading a Rustler into something really wild, so my local hobby shop never had all of the right parts do any of those.

Anyway, that takes care of the 'pull it out of weeds and will it run' portion. Think we're like 2-3 Esc later, new motor is still brushed, new style slipper after motor burned through red slipper pegs on first rip, new servo, new tires, wheels, some Leds since i worked a lot of nightshift, some lightened parts... it's still an old Rustler. The cool kids still shun me.

As a car-guy, what do you do with a vehicle that basically everyone has deemed worthless junk?
Yep, we put way more money into modifications!!!
Ok, now there's a plan.

The Slash was basically a Rustler stadium truck with a lift kit and stretch built into chassis, then a racing class started so they made a 'Low CG' chassis, that removed lift and took it back to a stretched Rustler. Then No-Prep Drag setup puts Bandit arms on to narrow them. I think you see where this is going

Got kinda excited and bought a couple things
Proline plastic Mag wheels with Hoosier rubber and some Molotow chrome
Bandit Arms and upper links
Turnbuckles that didn't fit

Then it was aged for another year on the shelf since the 1/14 trucks & construction guys actually do have some meets and events.

Jconcepts 87 Camaro body (hoped somebody would make a '3rd Gen Firebird' got tired of waiting, just send it)
Ajc mods 3" rear body mount extension
Factory works +43mm wheelbase stretch (Rusty / Bandit to Slash)
Rpm wheelie bar mount
Orange chicken with rice and eggroll Aluminum shocks

Why were you wanting a Pontiac instead of Chebby? It's the same exact car!
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2023, 12:10 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Rustler no-prep ~ Boyle Special ~

Still needed front body mounts. Let's go with some type of "well i don't see how that could work" ( - guy at the hobby shop)
Rpm extended front bumper, drill the outboard round dents in corner, countersink the wrong side of chassis mount holes, flip that upside down and install. Stick some really long Duratrax body mounts on there.

What's a "Boyle Special"?

Miller and Maseratti aren't making a lot of world class racing machines anymore

As in these guys.

"Umbrella Mike" Boyle, "Cotton" Henning, Speedy

They did some IBEW union leading, and other "business'' around Chicago, patented and sold some performance Valves for engines, ran a lot of fast cars on all types of races, and happened to win the Indianapolis 500 three times

Boyle Valve Special

So maybe if history worked differently, and the team didn't dissolve in the 1940s, they might have gotten involved with some drag racing,

Hard to beat an F-body for having a giant engine bay, plenty of room for activities
---

As best i can tell, nobody makes an Interior for anything as big as a Short Course No Prep Drag?

Proline once made a long discontinued
3347-00 – Proline Pro-Driver short course interior

RAE makes a 'RAE 2739 Stock Car Interior' that i can't find specs on
https://www.raeracing.com/Bodies%20page.htm

Last edited by frizzen; 11-06-2023 at 11:03 AM.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rustler no-prep ~ Boyle Special ~ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Prep. chevy4life Non Crawler RC's 2 10-01-2020 10:54 AM
**SPECIAL** C.I. Wraith Front Electronic Tray - $10 Shipped Worldwide **SPECIAL** Nova's Ark Vendors Electronics 12 09-07-2012 01:29 PM