Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Building with the Beams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2023, 06:55 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Building with the Beams

Had to have one of these to mess with. Heaven knows I have enough parts here to throw something together. Donor is an old SCX based build using CMX axles. I had robbed some parts off of it so it's just been collecting dust.

I went with a V1 axle to use the open diff. Had enough parts here to cobble one together, and it came out pretty nice. I had to mod the HPI diff a bit to get it to work with the overdrive gears, but I got it turning nice and smooth. 2.57 gear ratio is nice too. Found an old STRC link mount and some aluminum ends for the axle.

This kit is pretty freaking cool. Instructions are a bit tricky, but I figured it out without too much trouble. The pics were worth 1000 words. Found an old V2 battery tray and steering bits in my parts stash thankfully - can't really mount the kit without them. I'm not sure how this would work on an SCX10 V1, you really need a V2 setup. The only thing I couldn't find were the correct kingpin screws, I used some Tamiya shoulder screws instead. They are a bit taller, but otherwise fit fine.

Got it to a slider status, it was a pretty quick build. Just set up with some Axial shocks for now. I'll fine tune later once I get everything installed.

I'm liking it!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2023, 08:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Building with the Beams

Looking good! So what does it cycle for wheel travel as it sits? If you were to remove the shocks, what is it capable of cycling, and how bad is the bump steer, if any?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

Following to see more coolness! This is awesome and the more I see these, the more I want to grab my 10.2 off the shelf, blow the dust off and tear it down to add this I-Beam kit!

Good start so far.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:23 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looking forward to seeing this one all done! Are you going to keep the Mojave body of swap it out for something more deserty?
xwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice! Definitely nice to have another new scale suspension setup in the RC world.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:22 PM   #6

One of the coolest RC pieces released in a long time. Anxious to see this run in person.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Gonna keep an eye on this one.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm jealous. I wish I had a 10.2 laying around, I would scoop those beams for sure. If they had released these for the 10.3, my Bronco would be getting them installed.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:39 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Looking good! So what does it cycle for wheel travel as it sits? If you were to remove the shocks, what is it capable of cycling, and how bad is the bump steer, if any?
It can swing quite a bit, at least 3". But the wheels have fixed camber so they look a bit funny at the extremes. With the Axial shocks on, about 2" total.

There's a little bump steer, but it's not terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwaz View Post
Looking forward to seeing this one all done! Are you going to keep the Mojave body of swap it out for something more deserty?
Not sure yet, I've got the body for it but it was damaged in shipping. :( So back to square 1.

I'm a bit further ahead than the pics, I've test driven it and I'll say it was far more stable than I expected. More to come!
Old 12-01-2023, 06:16 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

A little more progress...

Going through my SCX parts bit, I've got quite a bit of V1 and V2 parts. I used mostly plastic leftover V2 parts to keep the chassis light. It all came together pretty quickly!

View from the bottom

Buttoned up and ready to roll. Kyosho Outlaw Rampage tires mounted up - they are on the hard side - they work great on the Rampage, figure they'll work here as well! Simple Tamiya silvercan with 23/80 gears just to get started until I figure out how much power this can handle. I'll drop in something a little more stout later.

Camber at level ....

...and fully dropped out.

Full steering lock. it's pretty good, I think anything more would lead to some serious barrel rolls.

Big fat axle out back... only issue I have with it is due to the height of the axle, it doesn't tuck up as much as I like.

No body, shocks have varying amounts of oil, but enough for a quick spin in the back yard.. I expected it to handle like a giant Hornet. Without the body, it was much more stable than I expected. The silver can motor doesn't have a ton of power for sure, but enough for a bit of wheelspeed and roost. If you crank the steering on a hard surface, it'll barrel roll but overall it was pretty decent. I'm sure some more power will make things more interesting.

I ordered a TRX sport body for it, I thought it would look pretty cool....however, it shipped in a box too small for it, the nose was tucked down to fit and the body was basically ruined. Not happy. Not sure what plan B is yet, I have all winter to figure it out.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:49 AM   #11

I have to say I was expecting this to get a Ford body! Very cool chassis though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:08 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Looks great sir. You’re making it harder for me not to order a beam kit…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:44 AM   #13
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=OSRC;6144206]It can swing quite a bit, at least 3". But the wheels have fixed camber so they look a bit funny at the extremes. With the Axial shocks on, about 2" total.

There's a little bump steer, but it's not terrible.

Thanks, that scales out about right. Figure the tires fall in the 37 to 40 inch range, track width should be wide. Are the parts engineered and built for abuse or the shelf/trailer? There is a guy running a crew cab, beamed with a power stroke in it, on 40s, bitchen truck in 1:1 land. Frame stretch and a Cen F250 body……. Hmmmmmm.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:11 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I can't say how they'll hold up per-se, but they feel pretty solid. Time will tell!

Got a little more done... It's getting there.

The sport body came trashed (not cool Power Hobby!) - it was in a box that was too small and the front end was folded under to make it fit. There are a few creases in the front fenders that won't come out. I figured it's a basher body, and didn't feel like dealing wit the return hassle at the moment, so I ran with it.

Found an old Element bumper that seems to fit pretty well. I need to do some fine tuning yet, I kinda just mounted it to make sure it fits and it wraps the front pretty good.

Out back is a simple VS4 bumper. Note the huge crease in the body on the front fender.

Using a V1 axle pushed the rear axle back a bit due to the different link mounts compared to the AR44. It's just slightly rearward a few mm. It still clears under full tuck, it just looks off slightly. I want the diff though, and there's no fine tuning of the links, so it is what it is.

Full drop out up front. I love it! Went with some plastic PL beadlocks to save weight, and R40 K02's with single stage foams up front (finally found a use for them!) with R35's with dual stage out back. I'd rather the truck push at speed a bit rather than dig in and turn since it'll want to barrel roll, so harder foams and tires up front with something way more grippy out back should help. That's my theory anyway.

Up next - more power for sure, and maybe moving that battery - the position is fine, but I want the rear axle to tuck up more and it can't do it with that big battery in the way.

Last edited by OSRC; 12-18-2023 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

looking good.... as twade mentioned makes it hard not to order the kit just for shits and giggles and slap it on a chasiss. I know it wont perform good since its only rwd but it should be fun and look good at the same time.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 06:10 AM   #16
Go Buckeyes!

Nice updates. It's coming along nicely and seeing it come together is making me even more interested in buying this kit.

As anal as I am about small details, I probably wouldn't have even noticed the rear tires being off a few mm to the rear if you wouldn't have mentioned it. I think it looks damn good, even with that body!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 07:18 AM   #17
RCC Addict

X2^^^^^^^^