Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Motor Swap in a Stampede

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
PapaGriz Yo

Default Motor Swap in a Stampede

On Sunday I bought my daughter a Stampede so that she could go bashing with her friend. This other girl has a XXX-T so I figured she would have more fun with a Stampede than her crawler.

Anyway, the XXX-T blows the doors off the Stampede so I was thinkin of dropping a Mag Mayhem in my daughter's truck. Is the Stampede tranny up to this? I thought I had heard about the intermediate gear in the Pede tanny going out with hotter motors. Is this true? Any recommendations if the Mag is too much?

Thanks guys
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Not sure about the motor, but do you want a aluminum front bumper for that truck? I took it off of the stampede I bought for the tranny and forgot about it.

It your for free is you want it.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Not sure about the motor, but do you want a aluminum front bumper for that truck? I took it off of the stampede I bought for the tranny and forgot about it.

It your for free is you want it.
Sure, why not. Free is the key. Thanks Badger, YGPM.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

the MM motor is what 22 turn? and the stock one is 20 turn stinger motor. i don't see you/she having a problem with it. the only thing that might happen is the idler gear breaking. i broke one in my sons. i jumped the curb and kaboom...also, the stock servo sucks..it breaks real easy too but i done tore it apart and used the tranny for his crawler now.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
the MM motor is what 22 turn? and the stock one is 20 turn stinger motor.
The MM is a 22 turn single in a 550 can. It makes alot more torque than the 20 turn 540.

[QUOTE=i don't see you/she having a problem with it. the only thing that might happen is the idler gear breaking. i broke one in my sons. i jumped the curb and kaboom...also, the stock servo sucks..it breaks real easy too but i done tore it apart and used the tranny for his crawler now. [/QUOTE]
That's what really concerns me is the torque of the MM in conjunction with a marginal idler. I'll swap out the servo too.

Maybe I should just try it and see how long it lasts, I have extra idler gears.

Thanks TC
Old 03-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Griz,
I am actually a Stampede expert. Have you ever seen mine? It would blow the doors off this XXX you spoke of.

The idler gear is the week point of the pede tranny. You can get the aluminum idler gear by traxxas but it will then tear up the plastics. If you use all metal gears, they will tear eachother up and the cost will kill you to keep replacing.

As for the Mag May motor....shouldn't be a problem, regarding the torque. I always ran a 15 turn motor in mine. I also ran lower turn motors and hit speeds of almost 50mph!!! But I liked my Trinity 15t P94. It is as fast as most other 10 turn motors from other companies.
A few tips for replacing parts:
Get RPM bearing carriers
Deans connectors
ESC
Masher 2ks
Losi springs Pink or white, then tune
etc

I'll have to bring my pede to the next event.
I've shaved off a few pounds from the chasis, etc, etc, etc
It is one awesome pede and I used to race it in the buggy and stadium truck classes at the local track. No one could tell what type of truck it was.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i have some RPM bearing carriers with bearings if you want them.
mrwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeDigler
Griz,
I am actually a Stampede expert.

so now we realize why you can't drive worth a crap on the rocks
Old 03-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I can't drive the pede worth crap either. :neutral:
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
Colt Python/SR9c

hahaha lmao
Old 03-04-2005, 01:12 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Get the $10.00 aluminum idler and it will handle almost any motor you put in it. I run a brushless in mine with no trouble.
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:21 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I have owned about 6-10 Stampedes (Used to love them until I discovered clods) and the main thing that would go wrong is the Idler and the servo saver.. Kimbro (SP?) servo saver is a good one, Ran it alot and never broke it, Servo like Digler said and the idler are your 3 main problems... Just watch the bulkhead if its cold where you live and watch the body mounts... Other than that there a pretty tough truck... Drove mine off the garage a few times (16 FT) and it blew a shock cap and a few more times I broke a arm... Definately a strong truck, Great basher.. Stick a 19T Chamelion pro 2 in there, Watch that truck ride block long wheelies
ScaleCrawlersINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I love those trucks there indestructable. It will handle a mm motor for shure its just drivetrain shock that kills idlers in pedes, like when you go off a jump, gas it mid air and hit a high traction surface is when you bust them. Also buy rear arms and put them in front to widen it up and use the deep offset rims all around. Make it as light as possible to, just go to town with the dremel.
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

i love my pede tuffest thing ever............ ive got a grand in replacing parts in the last well since 98'
one time i went off a two story roof, blew up my 7 cell batt, blew off shock caps, cracked my servo, cracked my back rims, broke back and front skid plates.....
man oh man was it fun though
blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Hey Grizz, I am not an expert by any means, but I can tell you that Torquer on here put one of those $18-$20 13T Venom motors and a Super Rooster on his, and that thing is fast. It isn't as fast as my buggy, but darn close. We went to the track and it was fun to watch.

now, I am trying to find one so I can play too, but the Rusty I have is about the same, just not the same.

Also, if anyone wants to give away parts for a Pede, or has a pede that they want to sell cheap, let me know. I am looking for a RTR or a Roller. Wanna be able to bash at the track with my buddy and blow the minds of all those Losi and AE lovers.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man
Hey Grizz, I am not an expert by any means, but I can tell you that Torquer on here put one of those $18-$20 13T Venom motors and a Super Rooster on his, and that thing is fast. It isn't as fast as my buggy, but darn close. We went to the track and it was fun to watch.

now, I am trying to find one so I can play too, but the Rusty I have is about the same, just not the same.

Also, if anyone wants to give away parts for a Pede, or has a pede that they want to sell cheap, let me know. I am looking for a RTR or a Roller. Wanna be able to bash at the track with my buddy and blow the minds of all those Losi and AE lovers.
You can turn your rusty into a pede for about $15.00. All you need is a pede chassis and chassis braces and about 10-15 minutes and you will have a pede.
BigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for selling me that. I just got another Rusty with just the basics. Maybe I will go that route instead of doing what I was going to do.

Thanks
mark
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #18
Ace
Rock Crawler

Give'r back her clod and have her race that xxx-t on the rocks!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

hey tman go to here to find a step by step guide to turning your rustler to a stampede or vice versa http://swami-rc.com/RustyConversion.htm
Brad
team-nyke is offline   Reply With Quote