Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Outside the US

Notices

Thread: Calgary GTG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Calgary GTG

Hey all you Calgary guys this is the oppertunity to meet more if not most of the local crawlers. I am planning a get together for saturday the 17th or sunday the 18th of november so it gives us all time to get the old rigs back to running order.

It will be held in Northwest Calgary about a 3 minute drive from northland mall. I will edit this post with the actual address closer to the date in question.

There is terrain for any thing from scale 1.9's to super class comp trucks and every thing in between. Any and all are welcome to come and have fun. I know some of the guys from PM hobbycraft will be there with their Axial Scorpions if you have any questions or possably want to try one out.

Please let me know what day works best for you and we will run in the snow :-( if there is any present (most of it we should be able to brush off the rocks). However if there is heavy (wet) snow or rain I dont think we should run (for the sake of our electronics).

Thanks Brant Inglis.
need some carbon fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Too bad it wasn't this weekend, im headed down to the mountains anyway. I have to work that weekend.
dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hmmm..........might be something to check out.

I had planned to head out west past Bragg creek for a mini comp on the 17th with a few friends but maybe we'll swing by your thing too.

Let me know if it's gonna run Saturday or Sunday, and what time.
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Duh................completely disregard my last post.

I'm heading out this weekend for the mini comp............next weekend is open for me.

So ya, if it's the 18th, I'm in. If it's the 17th, I should still be free providing it's earlier in the day.

Let us know your plan. I'm curious to see your crawling spot.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys, I have talked to a couple of my buddies who are not members on this board (blastphemy (sp.)) and they all agreed that saturday would be the best day for them. So I am thinking we can shoot for Saturday the 17th at about 9 am and crawl from there untill we all get borred or break. I will post up a mapquest map on monday with directions to the crawl spot. There is no provided power so you will need to have extra charged batteries or a 12volt charger for your car.

Thanks Brant.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

9am on a Saturday? That's hardcore.................LOL.

Guess I'll have to make sure to bring a bunch of batteries..........it could be a long day of crawling.

Now which rigs to bring...............decisions, decisions..........
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

If you run deans plugs and either lipo or nimh batts I can bring my chargers for both of them. But there is lots to crawl so bring maby your 14r if your done it.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I run Deans plugs on everything, and will probably just bring my charger along. My 14'r is nunning on a 4000mah lipo, and I have yet to drain a full pack, so I'm not too worried. If I come out, I'll definately bring that rig, but I may bring a few others also.

I'm also working on trying to convince a few others to come out and play also.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

oh by all meens bring out some friends. I have posted directions and address on Calgary rc.com

http://calgaryrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30271#30271

Do you have any spare lipo's that are under 8.4 volt that you would trade for an 11.1 lipo that has been charged once. (I cant run 11.1 on my Novac Goat System)
Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by need some carbon fiber View Post
oh by all meens bring out some friends. I have posted directions and address on Calgary rc.com

http://calgaryrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30271#30271

Do you have any spare lipo's that are under 8.4 volt that you would trade for an 11.1 lipo that has been charged once. (I cant run 11.1 on my Novac Goat System)

How many mah is it? I could use one. Im thinking of coming out for the crawl.
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hey need some carbon fiber,

Sorry, I don't have any other extra LiPo's kicking around. All my other ones are 3S packs for planes and helis. I still run good old NiMh cells in 90% of my cars and trucks (Elite 4500mah.....oh ya......).

What kinda 3S pack is it that you have though? Mah? C rating? Price if you're looking to sell?

Renslipevol, you should definately come out for the crawl. I think this will be the first time a real group crawl has happened here in Cowtown. Which is great. I've been doing the crawling thing for close to 5 years now, so it's good to see enough people into it that we can get a group together. Hell, if there is enough interest, I'd even be willing to set up a basic Calgary region compitition series for 2008.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

The comp scene is already in the works as is a calgary crawler association!! I can bring the batt with me to the crawl but I will get the rating later. I purchased it for 105 about 3 weeks ago and ran it in my tuber before the motor let go on me. I belice though the battery is a 3C rating as thats what I have to charge it as. I would however much rather trade it for any 8.4 volt or less lipo. or I would also trade for tlt parts.

But ya Renslipevol come on out and have some fun the spot is huge so you will find any thing you will want to crawl. Also there is enough room that if any one has nitro or electric touring cars or trucks they can run them to top speed quite easy. There is a large amount of grass and pavement becides the rock.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by need some carbon fiber View Post
The comp scene is already in the works as is a calgary crawler association!! I can bring the batt with me to the crawl but I will get the rating later. I purchased it for 105 about 3 weeks ago and ran it in my tuber before the motor let go on me. I belice though the battery is a 3C rating as thats what I have to charge it as. I would however much rather trade it for any 8.4 volt or less lipo. or I would also trade for tlt parts.

But ya Renslipevol come on out and have some fun the spot is huge so you will find any thing you will want to crawl. Also there is enough room that if any one has nitro or electric touring cars or trucks they can run them to top speed quite easy. There is a large amount of grass and pavement becides the rock.

Nice. I've been wondering when something like this was going to happen here. I've got alot of work to do on my rig if I want to go. It will still be a WIP by next weekend tho. Should be fun
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys the crawl is still on for Saturday November 17th (or this coming saturday) I will be bringing both my TLT based tube chassis semi-scaler and my bone stock TXT-1 to crawl with. I will be looking forward to seeing the variety of classes around calgary to get an idea of the classes for registration in the next year for the Calgary Radio Control Rock Crawler Association.

If you feel the need post up a picture of all your rigs you are running or building for more of an idea for me.

Also we can set up a "comp" when we are out there for super 2.2 and 1.9 just for fun and to get an idea of what we are up against for competition. If you want to do this please if you have pre cut tennis balls or Losi "track dots" bring them out with you.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I think with a scene the size of what is in Calgary, the trick to doing a sucessfull compitition series would be to avoid the "standard" classes, and come up with some fun alternates. Personally I would like to see three classes run ideally:

1) 1.9" scale class: Open to any size vehicle running 1.9" rims providing it looks like a real vehicle in form and function.

2) 2.2" Open: Much like a standard 2.2 class with a 12.5" wheelbase limit. Open to shafties and Clods.

3) A sub 15" wheelbase "Open" Class: Basically a smaller version of the typical "Super" class. After running "Supers" for 5 years, I can assure you that the amount of areas where a sucessfull and challanging comp could be held in/around twon are VERY limited. Having a 14'r class allows for a FAR more capable rig that a 12.5'r, but still allows for a much easier selection of terrain.

And now, some pictures.

1.9" TWARG

2.2" Scale Rig

2.2 Clod (12.5" wheelbase)

A few 14'r Clod's
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

bRIBEGuy I do belive that I will keep you as my go to guy for comp idea's Lol those are great classes and fairly simple rules. I was also thinking of jumping on the axial stock spec class too for all of the guys bashing the scorpions out of the box.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I don't think you could successfully run an axial spec class. Problem is that since the kit is a roller only, that even motor choice could give a distinct advantage. The idea of a "spec" class, is that everyone runs a virtually identical vehicle.

The AX-10 is a surprisingly capable truck out of the box, so I would say it would be easier to just have a general 2.2 class that the axial truck would fall into.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Wow, that was realy awsome the way ABOSOLUTELY NO ONE showed up to crawl this morning other then need some carbon fiber.

:(

Oh well, we had fun anyways, even if somehow we ended up with 4 trucks on 2 frequencies! LOL.

It's gonna be hard to try and ever get a comp scene set-up however if further get-togethers play out the same way.

Guess this is why I've been rock crawling by myself for the past 5 years............
Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Im thinkin about another crawl at the same or a different location this weekend. A crawl where more than 2 people show up.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I should be free for some crawling.

My vote is for:

1) Sunday (25th)

2) Slightly latter then 9am

3) Possibly somewhere else

4) Less carnage than last weekend

5) More people