Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: questions on painting the bodies??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #1

Default questions on painting the bodies??

what is the best way for me to paint the truck bodies.
I am not very artistic So keeping it simple for now just one tone. I live in a condo so again limited on where I can do the painting. I do have a porch. if I do one color how do i go about painting so it comes out nice?
IcemanXtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

A body comes with masks for the windows.. Put them on the windows as straight and even as ya can (On the inside). And just paint away. You can either use a airbrush or go to your LHS and buy some lexan paint in a rattle can and paint it that way. Also pick up a can of "backer". Then spray the inside of the body with paint. Wait till it dries to the touch, then spray the backer. Wait till that dries fully (A good 30 mins) and then peel off the masks on the windows. Then put your decals on on the outside and your good to go!

Ya wanna get a little creative use some painters tape and mask out some lines or design. Then just use that like the mask on your windows. but paint it after ya peel. Then spray the backer.

Im not sure where Roswell is, but if its under 60-65 degrees I probably would wait till it warms up. The spray will smell inside unless its water based. Then dont smell as much.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoc View Post
A body comes with masks for the windows.. Put them on the windows as straight and even as ya can (On the inside). And just paint away. You can either use a airbrush or go to your LHS and buy some lexan paint in a rattle can and paint it that way. Also pick up a can of "backer". Then spray the inside of the body with paint. Wait till it dries to the touch, then spray the backer. Wait till that dries fully (A good 30 mins) and then peel off the masks on the windows. Then put your decals on on the outside and your good to go!

Ya wanna get a little creative use some painters tape and mask out some lines or design. Then just use that like the mask on your windows. but paint it after ya peel. Then spray the backer.

Im not sure where Roswell is, but if its under 60-65 degrees I probably would wait till it warms up. The spray will smell inside unless its water based. Then dont smell as much.
Thanks that helps a lot!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

When you get a new body, first thing to do (after masking off the windows) is take a scotchbrite pad or some very fine steel wool and lightly scuff the inside of the body. It will make it look dull, but don't worry. When you paint it it will look nice and shiny.

After you scuff it, wash the whole body with warm water and a drop or two of dish washing liquid. Then let it dry (or dry it with a hair dryer).

When you paint (the inside of the body), you want to use very thin coats. A thick coat will run and drip, and possibly chip off later. If you are using aerosol cans, usually 3-4 coats will do it. You don't want the paint so thick that when you hold it up to the light it looks opaque. That is too much paint and will probably chip off. After three or four light coats of paint (and when the paint is dry) put the body down right side up on a piece of newspaper. If you can see the light and dark parts of the newspaper through the body, put on another coat of paint. Keep doing that until you can't see the newspaper through it. That is thick enough.

To trim the body, I use an Xacto knife. Be sure you use a brand new blade. I lightly score the body along the cut lines, then flex the lexan away from the score, and it will snap off.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask...
Cosmo-Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo-Graphics View Post
When you get a new body, first thing to do (after masking off the windows) is take a scotchbrite pad or some very fine steel wool and lightly scuff the inside of the body. It will make it look dull, but don't worry. When you paint it it will look nice and shiny.

After you scuff it, wash the whole body with warm water and a drop or two of dish washing liquid. Then let it dry (or dry it with a hair dryer).

When you paint (the inside of the body), you want to use very thin coats. A thick coat will run and drip, and possibly chip off later. If you are using aerosol cans, usually 3-4 coats will do it. You don't want the paint so thick that when you hold it up to the light it looks opaque. That is too much paint and will probably chip off. After three or four light coats of paint (and when the paint is dry) put the body down right side up on a piece of newspaper. If you can see the light and dark parts of the newspaper through the body, put on another coat of paint. Keep doing that until you can't see the newspaper through it. That is thick enough.

To trim the body, I use an Xacto knife. Be sure you use a brand new blade. I lightly score the body along the cut lines, then flex the lexan away from the score, and it will snap off.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask...
Thanks. That gives me more confidence.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
I joined the Band!

Forgot to add that prep is pretty key too. Make sure ya wash it out good with dishsoapy water and rinse it out. I usually just let it dry on its own instead of wiping it out because I dont want to get any lint from the towel in the paint.

Ive never scuffed up the inside of a body to get the paint to stick and havnt had any problems, but Ive heard of alot of people doing it. COuldnt hurt, but Id do it before ya rinse it out.
Knoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:49 AM   #7

thanks guys...
Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Scuffing the body is more important with acrylic paints (water-based). Enamels (spray cans) tend to stick fine without scuffing, but it doesn't hurt to go ahead and do it anyways.
Cosmo-Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote