Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Air Brushing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Air Brushing

Well I'm looking at getting into some air brushing, I bought a Mighty Mini compressor a year or so back and have finally decided to use it.

I have the cheapo air brush that came with the compressor but it seems to be a piece of crap. I'm wanting to do alot of detailed things, true fire, skulls, ect. But I need a cheap air brush Something around $30.

Also I've noticed that all the stencils I see are about $20-30 surely someone makes some cheap ones??

Post up some of your work if you like.

Thanks for the help,
Shaun
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

To whom moved my thread, this had nothing to with rock crawling. Congrats, you just made a non-tech thread into a tech thread, which is really still non-tech.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Found this link...
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdep...itemno=MAS+G22

I am looking for another one I saw a while back to a place that makes some of the name brand stuff under a generic name for WAY less.

I think this was it..... http://www.airbrushcity.com/

Last edited by racerx; 01-16-2008 at 11:24 PM.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thank you, racerx. That one doesn't look to shabby.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The second link I just added I found on Evilbay but the link is directly to their online store.

No problemo.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Stencils, apply coats of Bob Dively's Liquid Mask. Let dry and cut the shapes you want. Then paint 1 color and remove more of the mask, continue until done.

PS, it was moved from Chit Chat to Paint...dumbass.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

try a Paasche vl. not $30 but your not going to find anything you can do any kind of detail for $30. then when your ready to move up get a eclips hp-c or a richpen mojo. they rock for detail and the moflo will take care of everything else. for paint i like Auto Air because it gives auto quality finish but can be used indoors because it is waterbased. i still recommend having somekind of ventillation though.
Dubs Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I tried/ had the paasche vl crap when I first started... than I tried a Iwata HPCS Eclipse! WOW what a difference.

I say spend some money up front and get an Iwata, you will save money in the long run.

I now have 3 HPCS Eclipes, 1 RichPen Mojo and a Eclipse bottom fed.

These bodies were all done using the HPCS.

Ok that's enough pics for now....
GeneralG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Dood those suck, got a link to the airbrush? I would like to check it out, they are offered in grav feed and bottom right?
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Ya they blow goat chunks.

The HPCS is gravity fed as it the Mojo.

Here's the HPCS
http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/.../hpcs_info.jsp
GeneralG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

general g knows what he is talking about, get the eclipse cs it is the best brush on the market hands down, i have 2 and need to get more

dont waste your time with the knockoffs i wouldnt want to risk lossing the money not being able to get parts, plus you are never sure of quality

eliminate the brush as a problem and you can focus on the paint and yourself

in fact most of the time its the guy using the gun that makes it work there is no secret trick or amount of money you can spend to do good artwork

skulls and fire are things better left to the experianced, get some simple stuff under your belt and then move on to skulls and fire

for all your painting needs and info go to cfxpaintworks.com its like the eclipse of the internet how to's you will not find more information or helpful people in one place

the eclipse can be had for about 70-120 bucks but keeps its value and if you dont like it, i'll take it off your hands b/c i could always use another! you can get them with a .3 nozzle or a .5

the .5 will flow createx and autoair and faskolor better but will lack on detail (this is the best idea for a starter brush) then if you feel comfortable with the .5 and you have experiance using it and you know how to mix and reduce your paints. then upgrade to the .3 nozzle and you will notice better control over the finer details (as long as your paint is thinned right)

oh and in your case worring about detail, you will get all you need and more with the .5

your only human dont excpect to be a painting guru as soon as you pick up the brush

true fire also taks alot of color theory and freehand ablitys to make it looks good

anymore quesitons feel free to pm or reply or go to cfx
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

You get what you pay for when you buy airbrushes. I use an Eclipse CS as my main brush as well. I also had a Custom Micron, which was by far the nicest brush I had ever used, but it was overkill for just painting bodies.

If you don't want to spend the money for the Eclipse, the Badger 360 is a nice brush as well. I use one with the large tip/needle combination for spraying large areas and base coats.

I get most all of my airbrushing stuff at www.dixieart.com.
Cosmo-Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

You could also try www.coastairbrush.com I've ordered from there before. They are also very noob friendly.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

ill add a lil thing about coast

when you call most of the time you will be speaking to another artist, the one time i got the guy that does panel grinding videos

yes they are newb freindly and are happy to answer any questions! even non airbrushing ones
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Yeah, Coast is pretty good too, but being they are on the West Coast and I'm on the East Coast, it takes me a week or more to get what I ordered from them, so I don't order very often. Dixie Art I get it within a couple days. But things would probably be opposite for you guys out west.
Cosmo-Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralG View Post
I tried/ had the paasche vl crap when I first started... than I tried a Iwata HPCS Eclipse! WOW what a difference.

I say spend some money up front and get an Iwata, you will save money in the long run.

I now have 3 HPCS Eclipes, 1 RichPen Mojo and a Eclipse bottom fed.

These bodies were all done using the HPCS.

Ok that's enough pics for now....

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but were all these done freehand or do you mask out the flames and tears? These look awesome by the way.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #17
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbentrodder View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but were all these done freehand or do you mask out the flames and tears? These look awesome by the way.
everything has to be masked out.....cannot paint differnet colors and have super crisp lines.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote