Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: decals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default decals

has anybody made their own decals or stickers??? ( on a computer)
if you did , how do you make them and what do you use??
inkjet?
what kind of clear film or sticker paper do yuo use???

thanx
nuts5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

today i was going to buy some sticker paper from staples and print my grill i made for my blazer out. i just drew up my grill on aple works and had to print it out a few times to get the size right. if sticker paper doesnt work im going to lamanate it an atatch it somehow.
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well, I make my own, but that's what I do for a living. I have a Roland plotter that prints on vinyl.

I have had some luck using the clear sticker paper that you run through an ink jet, but the problem is that the colors are transparent since you can't print white first.
Cosmo-Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
I joined the Band!

oh ya
didnt think of that.
maybe white sticker paper???
nuts5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo-Graphics View Post
Well, I make my own, but that's what I do for a living. I have a Roland plotter that prints on vinyl.

I have had some luck using the clear sticker paper that you run through an ink jet, but the problem is that the colors are transparent since you can't print white first.

Not trying to totally hijack the thread, but how white can your plotter print (any red dots or anything)? I've seen some that aren't completely white is why I ask... And you may just get a follow up PM, as I need some stickas!
wyattburp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattburp View Post
Not trying to totally hijack the thread, but how white can your plotter print (any red dots or anything)? I've seen some that aren't completely white is why I ask... And you may just get a follow up PM, as I need some stickas!
It prints better than any injket printer you've probably ever seen. But, for $14,995 it should....
Cosmo-Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I've been using bumper sticker paper from Office Max or Office Depot (can't remember which one...) with my ink jet printer. It doesn't have a shine to it like the printed vinyl ones do, but the ink says put if it gets wet and they are removable. I was thinking of covering them with a layer of vinyl repair tape or clear packing tape to protect them a little better since they tend to get chewed up a bit. I have just used it for license plate stickers so far, but I'm going to try a grille next.
RAM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I print stickers for a living also and have access to a couple of thermal ribbon printers that can print a white base down first on clear. A Summa DC4 and a Gerber edge. I sell crawler decal sheets on the bay.

But for you do it yourself guys at home, this is what you do. You can't print on clear with a home inkjet and it show up, plus it will scratch off real easy. You can buy 8.5x11 full white label sheets at Staples or office depot. These are full white sheets with adesive on the back. Print whatever you want on them and then you need to cover them with a clear adesive sheet. Staples and office Depot also sell full 8.5x11 clear adesive sheets also known as laminating sheets. Take those and cover your printed sheet. But i have found that the clear sheets from those stores are not nice and smooth and completely clear. And they are expensive for only like 10 sheets.

My suggestion on the clear sheets is this: Go by your local vinyl graphics shop and buy some of there clear vinyl. They will sell it to you by the running foot. Most people carry it in 15" or 24" wide. Around here we would sell it for $2.00 a foot for 15" and $3.00 a foot for 24". So go buy a couple of feet of it and cut it to fit your graphic and then peel the back off and cover your graphic. Works GREAT! Hope this helps you guys out.
Xtreme RC is offline   Reply With Quote