Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Getting decals made

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Getting decals made

Anyone know the best way to make decals? I did searching ans saw that I could print them on bumper sticker paper from staples or other places, but I'm thinking I would like rear cut out vinyl decals. I have lettering and graphics that I would like to be cut out (like rear vinyl stickers) or have them printed on sticker material that is clear so you could see through to the paint inbetween the letters and graphics. I am thinking of calling my local sign shop (I've used them in the past for #'s for my CJ for the rock crawling competition) and seeing what they can do. I have some cool 80's graphics to go on my Rubi body, too bad I couldn't find a cj body.
Kevin
JeepCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

My girlfriend is a graphic designer and makes custom vinyl decals. You can sketch a design, or give her an image and she can recreate it, give you a proof to see what it will look like, then remake it out of vinyl. Shes got a 24" plotter so they can be large x huge, any color, etc. you want. Good prices too!!

If interested, let me know, I'll put you in contact

Last edited by BigRocks; 02-13-2008 at 12:44 PM.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

To make the cut type stickers you need a plotter, Not very cheap! If you don't want to sink a bunch of dough just have the local sticker place make them for ya!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

runnin2jeep can help ya ;)
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I already have the decal in Paint on windows. I found the design I wanted on a pic of a real jeep, then put it on paint, and cut out what I needed, changed it into 3 colors, and stretched/adjusted it to fit the rubi body. I'll try the local sign shop but if that doesn't work, I'll try some of the contacts posted. With the plotter, can an image be scanned and reprinted in vinyl the same size as the original image? I have the decals set to the size I need too.
Thanks,
Kevin
JeepCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCrawler View Post
I already have the decal in Paint on windows. I found the design I wanted on a pic of a real jeep, then put it on paint, and cut out what I needed, changed it into 3 colors, and stretched/adjusted it to fit the rubi body. I'll try the local sign shop but if that doesn't work, I'll try some of the contacts posted. With the plotter, can an image be scanned and reprinted in vinyl the same size as the original image? I have the decals set to the size I need too.
Thanks,
Kevin
It can be as big or small as you want it
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCrawler View Post
Thanks,
Kevin
The cutter/plotter is only used for cutting vinyl letters/graphics for vehicles and signs.

A sign company can scan the logo and reprint it but it is best to save your file to a CD or a thumbdrive and take them the file. The only small problem i see is what the file looks like. Windows Paint is not a great program for graphics. Very low resolution. It is probably a jpg file. It can be printed on white vinyl. To print it on clear vinyl without a background color it will have to be converted over to a vector based file for printing. And only better design programs can do that. And it needs to have a white base printed first or it won't show up on a colored body. I can help you out if your local sign shop can't. They may not be able to print on clear. David

Last edited by Xtreme RC; 02-13-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Xtreme RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
MWRCA'er

www.Cafepress.com Has bumper stickers that you can print anything on and cut out. I've used them for decal License plates, club decals, fog lights and more.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I would love to find a place that can print clear stickers like the ones available with bodies. I have a local buddy that can make any vinyl cut sticker I want, but sometimes I need something with color...
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote