Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Airbrushing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #1

Default Airbrushing

I am going to try to learn to airbrush. I see all these cool airbrushed bodies and I am JEALOUS!

I am on a tight budget so I am wondering what a good Airbrush and Compressor is. Also about what price am I looking at?
Ednevel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Something along this line may be a good option for you. You get the brush and compressor. You'll just need to get the paint for your application.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes9169.htm
CrawlerGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Have you made an investment yet? Just curious what you got...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #4

I havent. I am researching all the different types and seeing which is going to be better for me
Ednevel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

if you plan on doing it for a while invest in a good iwata, the eclipse hp-cs is the best brush hands down! and will work with your skills for years to come

get a good compressor with a water trap and regulator

and your set to go
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #6

Iwata is hands down the best that is what I use.Make that investment you will be happy.I tried the cheap ones they suck
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike1969 View Post
Something along this line may be a good option for you. You get the brush and compressor. You'll just need to get the paint for your application.

I would go for a better set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme View Post
if you plan on doing it for a while invest in a good iwata, the eclipse hp-cs is the best brush hands down! and will work with your skills for years to come

get a good compressor with a water trap and regulator

and your set to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman View Post
Iwata is hands down the best that is what I use.Make that investment you will be happy.I tried the cheap ones they suck
What is it that makes Iwata so good I have heard that so many times?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike1969 View Post

If you buy this you will not be very happy with it......... i have a paasche vl2000 and i like it...... it is my 2nd airbrush (1st one was that cheap pile of testors) i still aint no pro, but it is a decent airbrush. i have only used it once but i like it...... just my 1/2 cents worth.....
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
Say hello to my dactylion

Ednevel111

You need to call up BOB at Hobby Habbit. 352 North State St. Orem, UT (801) 224-5521

He can steer you in the right direction.

Oh and come out and play, sign up at: http://utrcrc.freeforums.org/ & http://eight01rcc.freeforums.org/

These are your local clubs if you don't already know.

-PF
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

well i've used my brushes for weeks on end and even painted a tractor trailor with an eclipse, and the onlything i've broke is the needle and nozzle when i drop the bugger... hurts when it lands and sticks to your skin

even after a good couple of years on the trigger mechanism its still fine and smooth just like ever, i've never had to replace a seal, just oiled. i did break a cup on an hp-c but iwata warrentied it for free even tho my fault

when you eleminate the brush and airsource as an excuse it gives you the ablity to focus on the important parts of painting, thinning paint properly and learning how to keep the air on, and all that good stuff

if you really want all the airbrush/custom paint info you'll ever need and then some www.cfxpaintworks.com is the place to ask

this opinion comes not from fouth hand heresy its all first hand experiance, dont even bother looking at a testors

rich pen and iwata are at the top pashe and badger is in the middle

if you dont see a long future with your brush, go for the badger or pashe, they will get you in the door

dual action is the only way to go its easyer to control and alows a larger range of effects

siphon feed if your doing t's or production gravity feed is good for r/c b/c it keep the big paint part out of the body and one cup is good for one full coat on a 1/10th scale average body

anymore questions?

details on the iwata that are good for thought
garunteed factory support
easy parts availiblity
teflon seals for automotive paint and laquers
eclipses can be had with either a .3 or .5 nozzle if you spray waterbased paints go .5 .3 for thinner paints like spaz stix
both will give more detail than you can handle

since your new to this i'll tell you a little trick when spraying a general all round good paint consitancy is basically like milk thicker if you want more coverage thinner if you need more detail

the key to succesful painting is looking at the details and getting things just right.... basically practice! paint everything and anything on every sort of surface

other good sources besides cfx would be

www.kustomkulturelounge.com
www.airbrush.com
www.coastairbrush.com
www.airbrushaction.com

and to answer your question on cost
there are cheap ways and expensive ways
alot of times companys will have deals on systems and if you take my previous advice you'll end up with a good setup
bagers and pashes will cost you roughly 50 bucks iwatas are around a 100-180 for the high end "high performance line" but the revolution and eclipse lines are done with the budget minded the revolution can be had for about 70 the diffrence in the eclipse to the revolution is the nozzle design but nothing that would consern you now, id say the eclipse is a good all round bet but if your deffintly on the budget go with the revolution

compressors run from 80-150 all the way to 10000 but thats all high end industrial crap lol
aritanks with Co2 will run about 50-70 and refills are about 15-20 bucks but they will last a good 10-20 bodys, i dont use these but its a good option when silence is needed
just make sure your air is dry!!!
and get a nylon braided line for painting the black tubes kink and like to trap water

ok thats all the newb advice i can give on this tonight if you need anything else or if you need me to clarifiy some details id be happen to explain. my aritst thought proces is a little skewed

Last edited by extreme; 02-27-2008 at 11:28 PM.
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have been doing scale modeling for years now and just recently bought an airbrush. You have to decide on what you want. Above all you need a 2-stage trigger that allows the change in both paint and airflow. Single stage are ok, but they limit what you can do. Siphon feed are great for larger amounts of paint where as top mount or gravity feed are good for small amounts. It really is apples to apples. What it comes down to is the artist. I have a Badger siphon feed and a Iwata compressor and love it. I was going to get an Eclipse HP-CS but the wife bought me the badger. It is a great airbrush. I say go middle of the road and find out what you like and don't like. For a compressor you can go many routes. On the modeling forums I belong to the majority get large compressors and run lines to their rooms. they have regulators and water traps in line and love them. You basically need a consistent flow to be successful. My studio compressor is quiet, has a built in trap, and keeps consistent to a point. I have never needed more because I live in an apartment. When I move out to a house I will be getting a larger compressor with a tank. You really need to research this before buying something that you might not like.

Just my $.02.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'm thinking about buying a Iwata HPSBS. I'll be learning with it, but I want to buy a good one that will grow with my skills instead of buying a cheap starter then getting another one later.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Iwata Revolution CR is the best for the money. All you will need for any R/C painting and then some.