Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Window tinting question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #1

Default Window tinting question

When painting a body with light colors, do you paint everything and back it then pull the window masks and do the tinting? If so do you then mask everything else off so the tint doesn't bleed through? My first body was a silver color with flourescent green accents and both the green and the tint bled through the silver which was backed with white.
grommit327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Paint your body in the desired color, back it with your lighter color, either white or silver, then pull the mask and tint the windows-unless you want your base color to be on the darker side-then it doesn't matter
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhardwear View Post
Paint your body in the desired color, back it with your lighter color, either white or silver, then pull the mask and tint the windows-unless you want your base color to be on the darker side-then it doesn't matter
That's what I did last time...a pearl/silver backed with white then tinted and the tint bled through the roof area around the windows
Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
www.team3sixrc.com

Im trying to figure out how tint is bleeding through your paint.

When painting with light colors it is always a good idea to lay of a nice coat of white to make the colors brighten up and to protect the base color from having a bleed through. When the need of a darker colors may be needed then your protected. After I finish painting all my customers shells I use a Rustoleum plastic paint. It seals the paint in and protects it from damage. then I remove my window masks. I use Liqued mask and not the provided vinyl crap, the RC Vinyl has a way of pealing up on the edges when the temps arent right, when it gets wet, when it feels like it.
I just dont bother! Anyways, The use the candy colors if your wanting color tint or use whatever your using for tint, then everything should be fine! If it is too difficult and you want a great product to use as tint try these guys....
http://stores.ebay.com/Paper-Street-...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
They have some great clear vinyls that when applyed correctly is awsome tinting. here it is used in Orange on one of my earlier trucks.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

How many coats of paint did you put down before tinting, i put 4-5 coats of base 2 backing and the finish with tint. after the 2nd coat of paint hold the body up to the light and find you thin spots, make those your target points and watch them for the next few coats of paint. Above the windows is notorious for not getting enough cover paint
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhardwear View Post
How many coats of paint did you put down before tinting, i put 4-5 coats of base 2 backing and the finish with tint. after the 2nd coat of paint hold the body up to the light and find you thin spots, make those your target points and watch them for the next few coats of paint. Above the windows is notorious for not getting enough cover paint
I think I used 2 coats of pearl then 3 coats of silver backed with 2 coats of white cover coat. Then I did the tinting. Must of had some issues with the paint or something though because it managed to bled through. Oh well lesson learned and hopefully the next one will turn out better