Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: I need to paint aluminum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default I need to paint aluminum.

Hello, idk if this is the right place for this thread but i might try my luck here first. Im building a black jack. EVERYTHING on it is going to be blacked out. From axles, links, ends, knuckles, Cs, adapters, rims, skid, tranny, body, motor, nuts and screws etc etc... Im even black heat shrinking all the wiring for a clean 1 piece look. Anyway.. i need to paint the chassis plates of a BJ, black... Has anyone tried this? Maybe some steps or materials to use would be ideal if this has ever been done (which it prolly has).

Maybe someone can make me delrin side plates... ide pay good money for this to me done.

Hope someone can help. Thank you

oh and btw i know it will eventually chip...
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Just hit up your local HomeDepot or even an AutoZone for some metal primer, then lay down the black of your choice. Simple as that.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

If you want to get really technical or professional you could send it out to get powder coated or anodized. I'd just spray it with plain paint though, with crawlers stuff it doesn't stay unscratched for long. Plain old paint makes touch ups easy. I like textured finishes they hide heavy scratches.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

^ yeah, in that case, I'd use something like Rustoleum's Hammered spray paint. It'll take the better part of a day to dry, but that is some strong stuff... and it looks pretty cool being all pitted and what not.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Hey Rocky, for you consideration Drumbeater turned me on to a product from Klean-Strip called "Bulldog" it's a adhesion promoter for metal, rubber, plastics and even glass. I purchased it to add flex to automotive paint on lexan, but it will lock paint to anything. It's kind if expensive you get a big can for about $18 its sprays clear. It's available on line at SpaceAgePaint.com.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Default anodizing !!

hay rock the DMG is soon to be doing Black anodizing ,in shop !!!
the DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
^ yeah, in that case, I'd use something like Rustoleum's Hammered spray paint. It'll take the better part of a day to dry, but that is some strong stuff... and it looks pretty cool being all pitted and what not.
I use it all the time. Good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey Rocky, for you consideration Drumbeater turned me on to a product from Klean-Strip called "Bulldog" it's a adhesion promoter for metal, rubber, plastics and even glass. I purchased it to add flex to automotive paint on lexan, but it will lock paint to anything. It's kind if expensive you get a big can for about $18 its sprays clear. It's available on line at SpaceAgePaint.com.
The Bulldog stuff is more for Bumper and items that flex. Also Wal-Mart Carries it.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:20 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
The Bulldog stuff is more for Bumper and items that flex. Also Wal-Mart Carries it.
It will work good on the PIMP CANE

If your just spraying the chassis use Rustoleum I painted mine black with DuPont's Imron

Last edited by drumbeater; 07-20-2008 at 02:23 AM.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote