Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Need a special air compressor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need a special air compressor

I live in an apartment with 4 close neighbors and would like to pursue air brushing. I'd like to find a small air compressor I could use and not disturb everyone. I don't need to run any tools just an airbrush I've used a super quite tankless one before but since there was no tank it delivered the air in puffs and it showed on the body. Does such a machine exist that will fit my needs, and hopefully not too expensive?
Another option on the cheap, dont know if it would work, would be to simply buy a portable air tank (5 gal maybe) and fill it somewhere? would my DC powered auto tire pump be able to fill it for me to then take inside to use? I really know little on the subject, but would said portable tank hold enough air to finish say... one body? - Really just looking for quiet options here...
monstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #2

I just bought a 2 gallon Campbell-Hausfeld from Harbor Freight for $70. I too live in an apartment but I only paint during the day. IMO it is not that loud but I wouldn't turn it on after 10 pm. I think a 5 gallon would not be big enough to finish a body, unless it is one color. Plus a tire pump would take forever to fill it.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

For the tankless airpump, using 2 empty aircans, bottom cut then welded together gives you a not so bad air regulator, if pressure is low (my tankless is awefully weak at something like 0,5kg/cm2 ducttape between the cans is enough. Works like exhaust pipe silencers on car but regulating the flow being it's primary purpose.
Coligny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default air comp.

I just recently picked up a 2 gallon compressor for home depot I quite loud but I was browsing online and found this web site its called oriental trading.com check the out they have lots of stuff for arts and crafts!
infamouse_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #5

Get you a co2 system. It is the quietest on the market. All you willever hear is hte noise of the air. I used one while I painted in the mall one Christmas season and I never had to refill it. Painting bodies will be good, you use very little air and it is dry. With those air compressonrs mentioned above you have to deal with a lot of moisture because of the heat they build up. You also have to deal with the noise too.
pilotshaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Check out airbrush city, I bought a new two piston compressor from them on sale last winter and it is dead quiet with no vibration and I can dial up 80 pounds of pressure and with its air tank I can use it for cleaning to. When they have sales they are usually pretty good.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You can always just use cans of propellant like these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LX8182&P=ML
They arent cheap, but if you dont plan to use your airbrush a lot, then the cost wont be so bad. I have used these before and one can will last you a few bodies.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
You can always just use cans of propellant like these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LX8182&P=ML
They arent cheap, but if you dont plan to use your airbrush a lot, then the cost wont be so bad. I have used these before and one can will last you a few bodies.
Damn, what size can were you using? I can barely get through one body and that was with a static 1/24th model. Maybe I was inhaling to much, lol.

I don't know how serious you are about a compressor. Many good recommendations have been made. I used to live in an apartment and last Christmas my Mom bought me a Iwata. She was being a Mom. At the time it was all I needed. In fact I have not changed it out. I painted both my crawler bodies very easily and quietly. I love it for what it is. I also painted it Ferrari red as it looked a bit girly.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Doc, I think that was the exact can I used. Not sure what the volume was, but it was about 12" tall.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

IMO,,, cheap is not always the best way to go. If you are serious about airbrushing, you should spend to extra money and get a compressor that will last you a long time. They aren`t cheap by any means but they will last alot longer than anything you can buy from Harbor Freight or the like.

Myself.. I have been using a Iwata Power Jet Pro for the past 5 years, it can run 2 airbrushes all day long, has a 2 liter air tank, built in water traps and regulaters, has a 1/5 hp motor and is super quiet. The problem is that they run between $450-$550
nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

http://www.airbrushcity.com/comp45/index.htm
Anything look good here? The Afformentioned 2-piston is $180.
How about the Capricorn - $140?

I'll use this from time to time at best. I actually have tried the propellant canisters before and they were nothing but trouble.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #12

I use a Central Pneumatic 1/8hp oil less compressor from Harbor Freight, Item # 93657. I paint in my "workshop" which is a converted hall closet in my 1 bedroom apartment. It is very quiet and has constant pressure. I have a personal space air filter that I run when I am painting to suck up the overspray.

Dratch
Dratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92403
ahh and the price is right. Although this is much like the original one I've used. I assume the "regulator" allows the pressure to be constant?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

http://www.rulezman.com/workshop/ws/index.htm
Look for silent air compressor
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote