Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Clod 4x4x4 grille modification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Clod 4x4x4 grille modification

A few folks have asked me how I did the GMC grille on the Fall Guy truck so I finally figured it was time to do a how to. This really is just a way to get the 4x4x4 part off the grille.

All you need is a dremel with a cut disc, I also have the flex tool attachment on mine, and some #220 and #320 sandpaper. Also have the cutoff tool sticking out from the chuck of the dremel a little. You'll be reaching over the grille on some cuts and that will keep the dremel from rubbing up on the grille.

First tape up the chrome areas you want to keep, to protect it from the dremel and sandpaper.

you want to start by making shallow guidelines on the deeper grooves. Don't go deep just in case you cut a line off you'll only damage material that is coming off anyway. Since the platic melts, you'll have to remove those melted pieces by hand, often, so you can see the cut lines.

Once you are satisfied the the guidelines line up with the grille lines start making deeper passes. Don't go to fast, just slowly keep removing material as you go deeper. When you get closer to the bottom slow way down and don't be afraid to leave a little material. You can always get the sand rest of it to the bottom.

Clean up the rest of the bottom cuts with #220 sandpaper wrapped around a thin but rigid piece of plastic or metal. The piece is so the sandpaper sands straight and cuts the walls vertical. It'll take material off pretty quick so be careful. You know it's flush with the bottom when the chrome starts coming off.

This last step can be done a couple of different ways. You can use the dremel to take the high parts off the grille bars quickly then sand it flush or you can just sand it all down. When you sand it make a small sanding block so it sands the grille bars together and flush. Samething, when the chrome starts coming off you flush with the top of the bars. After that, clean it up with #320 paper and paint.

This mod is easy and relatively fast. I did all this, including remasking and painting, in less than an hour.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Very clever,ill have to do that to mine one day.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote