Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Painting rock rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #1

Default Painting rock rings?

I have a AX10 and i was thinking of stripping the green off the rings and painting them black i know it would scratch easily but it could also be repainted. i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what kinda paint to use on them. I don't want the green cuz it would look funny with the pink camo i plan on painting the body after i decide what one to get.
littlelosiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Mask off the holes and powdercoat maybe?
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

You could always strip the annodizing off and polish them. I D.A.'d mine with 120 grit and left them that way (too lazy to polish them up) but I think that'd look pretty nice. I haven't seen anyone do that yet, maybe you'll be the first?

T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

after u get the anodized off get some scotch bright pads to scuff up the rings or some sand paper or both so the paint will stick to it make em look dull clean em off then paint it i just used some cheap can of paint from ace and works good the bealdlock bolts help somwhat so they arnt all scratched up
ENZLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

after getting rid of the anodizing and roughing up w/ fairly course sand paper, make sure you thouroughly * and i mean thouroughly clean the rings. make sure to get every last bit of the remaining metal filings from the sanding.

as for paint id recomend the rust-o-lium brand of paint products that are especially formulated for metal outdoor furnature.

id suggest not masking off the the holes on the ring and only painting the outside surface of the ring.

first coat: extremly light to act as a bonding agent.
2nd coat : a little heavier but keep it fairly light.
3rd coat: just enough to give the ring a glossy finish. not more and not less

-or-

3rd coat: again fairly light, just enough to get total coverage
4th coat: polycarbonate clear coat, just enough to get the ring glossy

*notes
make sure to use even coats or you'll get some ugly extremly newbie looking final product
between coats make sure to let the paint thouroughly cure. id suggest at least 2 hours on the first and 2nd (and/ or 3rd) coat and overnight for the last and final coat

after properly curing. you can take a drill to the holes for the screws. make sure you have it at a really slow setting. if at all possible drill by hand. it alot easier to control and gives you much less chance to crack the paint
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

dang you are the oldest newbie on the site! just messing. but this is your first post and you have been a member sence October 2004.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I used Truck Bed Liner in a spray can. Shoot it on in lite coats and don't get close to the rings when spraying. That gives it a bumpy more scale look. Let it dry at least a few days and it will hold up pretty good. And remember to scuff up the rings good first so it sticks good.
LoveToROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Scuffing the work area is a good way to insure that the first couple of layers of paint have something to stick to.

Another useful tip when painting or if your going to go the powder coat method is to take toothpicks or something of the same diameter of your bolt holes and plug them up so no paint works its way into the pattern. And it gives you something to hold onto when handling spraying angles.

Hope this helps,
Twisted
twisted concept is offline   Reply With Quote