Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Painting in Cold Weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Painting in Cold Weather

Ya i was just wondering my body should be here today so im going to paint it. My question is its in the low 40's here and i know with most painting it has to be around 70 degrees in order for it to turn out. Have any ideas how i can paint my body without having to wait till Spring.

Thanks
Jmterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

paint indoors
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Basement, attic? Rent a commercial van and run the heater.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You can also put the paint and body indoors til they reach room temperature.
Then go paint outside or garage. And then I lightly use a hair dryer on the newly painted body.
I've painted in about 50 degree weather in my garage with room temp stuff and didn't have any problems using the method above.
But then again, I can sometimes ghetto-up some stuff.
Just my .02
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Check with local industrial places with a loading doc or wharehouse.
Many times if ya ask the guys in back they might let ya.
Just fill them with gab and tell them about the hobby,you might get a running partner... High schools are another possible.

I would not recomend painting in the basement tho something about flamable fumes and that water heater right over there???...Something about the pilot light... Whooda thunk???
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i keep all supplies in the house, and paint in the garage. It's in the 20's here now, and with a heatgun after each light coat, and keeping the can of paint warm, it works fine.

I airbrush in the basement, which is usually in the high 50's in the winter without any problems.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
You can also put the paint and body indoors til they reach room temperature.
Then go paint outside or garage. And then I lightly use a hair dryer on the newly painted body.
I've painted in about 50 degree weather in my garage with room temp stuff and didn't have any problems using the method above.
But then again, I can sometimes ghetto-up some stuff.
Just my .02
I did something like this for my Grappler body. It was very humid outside at the time, so I stepped outside and put one coat on, then I brought it back inside each time in between coats. I don't see how that won't work in the winter, as long as that body doesn't get to cold.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the information i will go buy some paint and make sure everything is room temp then paint it in my garage. Thanks a bunch
Old 12-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Rent a commercial van and run the heater.
:neutral:
Old 12-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

You could also right before you paint put the rattle cans in hot water just enough to warm the can. This has worked for me. Just another option
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Rattle can or AB?

Rattle just warm it in water for a few minutes. That helps the propellant out.
AB has no propellant in it but you could warm it if needed.

I paint year round inside no issue. I use my spare shower and layer it with newspaper and paint away.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
Rattle can or AB?

Rattle just warm it in water for a few minutes. That helps the propellant out.
AB has no propellant in it but you could warm it if needed.

I paint year round inside no issue. I use my spare shower and layer it with newspaper and paint away.
Im using spray cans, thats what i was thinking painting it in my shower with a bunch of newspaper laid down, im sure my parents would love that:-P, but what they dont know wont hurt them .

Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
Team T1E/VP Driver

What about using a space heater to warm the garage up and then cut it off before painting. My father is a paint contractor, and we use to do this to spray cabinet doors all the time... as long as its all warm before taking it out there...if you can get the garage up to temp... should last you a few coats for sure!
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #14

Ya i was also thinking of going that way except do you think a space heater would warm up a whole garage. Because if i do it that way i will probably just buy a cheap space heater from wal mart .
Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

put the can in some warm water and hurry when you get outside. you can warm up the body too if you want.
minicracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

does the cold have any effect on window masks? when i paint i tend to make the mask peel as it is i dont knwo why but ill keep looking for that answer hahaha the search button is my friend but im not sure how the cold effects the masks
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

What i suggest for the window panels is to wash your hands real well then take your finger nail and run it around the outer edge. I do this whenever I paint a body and they do not even come off when I put painters tape on them to do a two tone body.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmterminator View Post
Ya i was also thinking of going that way except do you think a space heater would warm up a whole garage. Because if i do it that way i will probably just buy a cheap space heater from wal mart .
You could get one that would get part of the garage warm, but was thinking more of the ones you attach to the top of a propane tank or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treday619 View Post
What i suggest for the window panels is to wash your hands real well then take your finger nail and run it around the outer edge. I do this whenever I paint a body and they do not even come off when I put painters tape on them to do a two tone body.
x2... and also put the masks on in the warm, and make sure the body is good and clean before you do that. I would let it set up a little while too before taking it to the cold or cooler area just to be on the safe side.
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #19

I can remember back in the 70's painting a Dodge in zero degree weather in the garage using electric heaters. An added benefit was saving money on drugs that night, quite a high.
skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #20

Okay i painted it today, i will post up some pics either tomorrow or monday. I used a hair dryer and warmed up the body and then ran outside and hurry and painted on a coat, and basically did that like 5 times . I also put the spray can in warm water in between coats. The body came out really well.

I was also wondering if anyone has some tips on drilling out the body post holes, also any tips on cutting out the body would be much appreciated. I bought some body scissors when i bought my body so those should come in handy.

Thanks