Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: working with pop cans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #1

Default working with pop cans?

so i had an idea today for a unique custom body for my MRC, i want to make a body out of pop cans, i want it to look like it was made out of pop cans.

Basically a pop can sawed in half the long way and laid on top of the MRC is going to be the base, but i am going to flare it out to make fenders and add some curves to it, i have a good picture of what i want it to look like in my head.

My question for you guys, have you ever worked with pop cans or thin gauge sheet metal in general? I can see some obvious problems, mainly in the toughness area.

I was thinking i could bond to layers of can together with an adhesive, maybe gorilla glue or some sort of epoxy, maybe RTV silicone so it remains flexible? i would have to shape two pieces how i wanted them then bond them, i think.

i was wondering if anyone here has done this or anything similar. So if you guys have any ideas/tips/tricks or if you just want to tell me im stupid, im all ears.
dan1061986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You asked for it,,,,you're stupid. Or just thinking outside the box.
I would start by drilling a hole in the can of choice and then filling it with expandable foam. find some tin aluminum and epoxy you "can" fenders to them for rigidity and use some industrial silicone adhesive, (not cheap walmart crap that's only .99 ) and stick it where you want them after you sand a bit where your putting them but not too much that people see where you sanded. Just my .02
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Shoe goo. Make sure all the edges ar folded in, or someone will get cut very badly. Mock it up out of index cards first. See the baking pan builds from Metal Masher for construction inspiration.
Phatmac is offline   Reply With Quote