Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Flat paint ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Flat paint ?

I know it has been asked before but I can't seem to anything about maybe I'am searching wrong. Anyways my question is to achieve the flat paint look should I use a high grit sand paper to take the clear finish off the inside of the body. Or is there a different way? Thanks in advance
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default flat finish

Hi,
to get a flat finish, you'll need to scuff up the OUTSIDE of the body. Doing it on the inside will still give you the shiney look after painting. There are a few chemical options, that when applied to the outside will turn the plexi cloudy and give a matt finish when the body is painted on the inside. Thus far nobody has successfully been able to do this. I'm experminting and will have some better info in a few weeks
caci
caci623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caci623 View Post
Hi,
to get a flat finish, you'll need to scuff up the OUTSIDE of the body. Doing it on the inside will still give you the shiney look after painting. There are a few chemical options, that when applied to the outside will turn the plexi cloudy and give a matt finish when the body is painted on the inside. Thus far nobody has successfully been able to do this. I'm experminting and will have some better info in a few weeks
caci
Please keep me informed.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Mikeymike can do it! His flat paint jobs are sweet
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

CrawlerGraphics (formerly mikeymike1969) has done several flat paint jobs that have turned out very nice and not "cloudy". Contact him and I'm sure he can hook you up
Look at this thread for a Grappler he did for another forum member: Mikey mike adn the fresh paint bunch

Last edited by montana.matt; 12-23-2008 at 02:37 PM.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've seen some that have been painted on the outside. It leaves realistic looking scratches, and as with any other body you can repaint it. I was unaware of a flat paint job method that is still painted from the outside. details please
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

flat paint on the out side is the way to go. do silver or a rust color on the inside so when you get scratches it looks like the metal is showing under.
i did my chev this way and it turned out sick
good luck
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the information everybody
Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Im looking to paint the outside of a lexan shell also. if you look a few threads down you will see my unimog 416 body thread. I want to paint a flat sand color on the outside of the shell should I use regular lexan paint? but just on the outside? also gets a little more tricky cause half my body is styrene ... not sure if the paint would come out the same on both plastics... will regular lexan paint work on styrene ok?
dankycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

http://photos.alabamarockcrawlers.co...20(Medium).JPG

http://photos.alabamarockcrawlers.co...20(Medium).JPG

These are both a body i did with a flat black lexan paint on the exterior of a Betty Body. I want one of CrawlerGraphics bodies!
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I got this tip from Drumbeater. You can treat the outside with a clear adhesion spray available in cans. It's made by Klean-Strip and it's called "Bulldog" mask your windows then give it a coat let it dry and you can use any good auto paint or primer and it will not chip or flake. It's a little spendy I bought a can from www.spaceagepaint.com for $17 and change + shipping but it is a huge can.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have painted on the outside of the shell and finished it with a coat of Flat Clear (TS-80) from Tamiya, it does scratch off however that was my plan and I sprayed the inside of the body a copper colour so it looks like rust ;)
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I got this tip from Drumbeater. You can treat the outside with a clear adhesion spray available in cans. It's made by Klean-Strip and it's called "Bulldog" mask your windows then give it a coat let it dry and you can use any good auto paint or primer and it will not chip or flake. It's a little spendy I bought a can from www.spaceagepaint.com for $17 and change + shipping but it is a huge can.
Wal-Mart sells that also.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ok I am going to have two bodies painted, as you may already know one will be flat black, have another question well kinda asking everybodies opinion. Now the body will be flat black and hopefully some green and white pin striping, now I am getting eritex comp wheels should I get them black or should I dye the green to bring out the pin striping or will it be to much? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
Team T1E/VP Driver

I always like bringing out color like that... small little color details in the body to accent trim of the wheels or chassis or what ever else is seen! I don't think it will be too much... as long as you keep the pin stirping down a little!
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. I want something different. I may even have something else up my sleeve.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
PapaGriz Yo

Painting the outside of the body with Pactra lexan paint gives it a nice flat look.
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #18
Oliver Custom Knives

You can always paint on the outside and then sand with high grit like 800 and it will flatten it , thats what I did here on this ford body.

DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Great tips on the flat finishes. I though Tamaya made a flat paint for lexan? If you spray flat on the inside will it be gloss on the outside? thanks
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Great tips on the flat finishes. I though Tamaya made a flat paint for lexan? If you spray flat on the inside will it be gloss on the outside? thanks
yes, it will still be very shiny.
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote