Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Styrene ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Styrene ??

I'm looking to build a Hilux bodied truggy and noticed people are using styrene to close up the back of the cabs and to build beds. I did a search for a styrene how to and it came up with lots of random post. So i know it's not complicated but i have yet to work with it...My ??'s

Best cutting tools and techniques for the job?

What is the best adhesive/glue to use? or are glues/adhesives even used?

How strong is it and will it hold up to the bashing of crawling if protected by tube of course?

What type of paints/primer is best to use?

What are the best techniques for application of paint/primer on styrene?

Will most hobby shops carry styrene? if not were to buy?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

lots of good tips and tricks here
frsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You can also check the ReignRC vendor's forum.....they sell pre-made backs for that body that are made from styrene.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsttimer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
You can also check the ReignRC vendor's forum.....they sell pre-made backs for that body that are made from styrene.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I am a first time styrene user myself other than whatever model kits I put together as a kid, and I am in the middle of a "from scratch" project using it. From what I have done so far, it's pretty easy to work with...especially if you are patient and take your time. I am picky, so getting cuts nice a tight are a must with me, and it's easy enough to do with the styrene.

I use an Xacto knife that has the screwdriver type handle (larger blades too), and it cuts like butta. I have been using Zap-a Gap CA+ to glue mine up, and so far it seems to be pretty stout.

You can see what I have been up to using it here: 1:10 Scale Military/Offroad Trailer

That's only about 5-6 hours total of labor in it so far...and I think for a first timer, that's not bad
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
I am a first time styrene user myself other than whatever model kits I put together as a kid, and I am in the middle of a "from scratch" project using it. From what I have done so far, it's pretty easy to work with...especially if you are patient and take your time. I am picky, so getting cuts nice a tight are a must with me, and it's easy enough to do with the styrene.

I use an Xacto knife that has the screwdriver type handle (larger blades too), and it cuts like butta. I have been using Zap-a Gap CA+ to glue mine up, and so far it seems to be pretty stout.

You can see what I have been up to using it here: 1:10 Scale Military/Offroad Trailer

That's only about 5-6 hours total of labor in it so far...and I think for a first timer, that's not bad
Cool little M416 ammo trailer and nice styrene work.. I used to build for Adventure Trailers and we actually upgraded an M416 to independent trailing arm air bag suspension, turned out very functional, you would have probably appreciated it. Just a little off subject.... Thanks for the link and nice build