Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: primered paint job is chipping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default primered paint job is chipping?

I recently took out my latest build and am having an odd issue with the paint.

this is the 6th or 7th rig I've painted, but only the 2nd I've actually used primer prior to paint. Usually I use the actual paint as primer, applying it to check bodywork/filler before final spray.

On this last paint job, primered beforehand, the paint is chipping off when hit against rocks or when I roll the body. I dont expect the paint to stay under those conditions, more its about how its coming off that I dont like.

I used tamiya primer, its a tamiya body and I used tamiya metallic paint.
this is chipping on impact.

in contrast to this body, which used the exact same paint but no primer
here the paint scratches but does not chip off. this is not a tamiya body

this is same condition as to how the paint is coming off in an acceptable way, and is a tamiya body, but not tamiya paint

can anyone provide insight as to why my current paint job would chip instead of scratch off? its annoying and looks less scale...

tia.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

best solution i can come up with is a possible bad can of primer. had the same problem with a newbright jk body i painted last summer. but i think my problem was using cheap primer, redone the body using rustoleum plastic primer and had no problems after that.
creepingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

how long did you let the primer sit before applying the mettalic? also did you scuff the primer at all or sand it down before spraying both could be your problem also did you read the directions?
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I dont remember exactly how long the primer sat before painting. probably a couple days.

I did not sand the primer before paint that I recall but I might have wet sanded it. Or I wet sanded the color coats prior to the final one. cant remember.

I looked at the directions on the primer but since they are all in Japanese I didnt actually read them.

usually I use the color paint as its own primer, forgoing actual primer, and my results are good that way. I thought I'd do it the right way and primer this one....
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looks like the paint just didnt get a good bond with the primer, could be a cheap primer or you forgot to sand it. On my JK i didnt sand the primer, nor any color coats and it isnt chipping. I used KILZ CraftCoat primer, and i used Duplicolor paints and clear coat, Kinda expensive but a very nice paint.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Did you clean the body prior to the primer? and if so what did you use? Letting the primer cure for a few days and not sanding or scuffing it would cause this for sure.
JEFFDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote