Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: need some help/tips for body mounting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default need some help/tips for body mounting.

well i had my first attempt at mounting a body today, and it went horrible. the body is not square to the chasis. so time to start over. does anyone have any advise to help me keep the body square? i want it to look right.

axial ax10 mounting 80s chevy blazer boy (pro-line)
LS1Armyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

There are some body post pieces that have sharp points on them to mark the body for you. Here is a link to them.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20523
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I cut and drill the holes for my lids before sending them over to Mike at Crawler Graphics for paint
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If you forget to open up the post holes before painting try this trick:

Stick plasticene (modeling clay) on the inside of the body, roughly located where you want the posts to go.

Once you happy with the placement of the body on the chassis press the body posts into the clay to mark the exact mounting post hole locations.

Use a pin, awl or scalpel to mark a pilot hole from the inside and then open up the holes from the outside of the body.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If you are cutting the holes after painting use a white tamiya paint pen and put a little drop on the tops of the body posts. Set the body on where you want it and drill through the marks.

Honestly it comes alot with practice also. Dont take it too hard. In the past I have spent days working on a picasso of a paint job only to not like the body mounts and have to drill 2 sets of mount holes and screw it all up. It happens.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
If you are cutting the holes after painting use a white tamiya paint pen and put a little drop on the tops of the body posts. Set the body on where you want it and drill through the marks.

Honestly it comes alot with practice also. Dont take it too hard. In the past I have spent days working on a picasso of a paint job only to not like the body mounts and have to drill 2 sets of mount holes and screw it all up. It happens.
X2 on all of that.
Nowdays I spend alot of time measuring, looking, changing, and measuring again and again to make sure the placement is exactly where I want it, and then do the paint on the body post trick, and recheck all that before actually cutting the hole.

You know what they say, "measure twice, cut......" well sometimes you still end up having to cut more than once.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

well i dont have to worry about paint. i have not painted it yet.and i ordered a new body because i fubar'd the one i have now, lol
the clay sounds like a good idea since it can hold the body where i want it, err where i think i want it. lol this shit is NOT as easy as i thought lol. thanks for the helps guys.
do you guys use a dremmel to open up the fenders and such, so far thats what i have used.
LS1Armyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Armyboy View Post
well i dont have to worry about paint. i have not painted it yet.and i ordered a new body because i fubar'd the one i have now, lol
the clay sounds like a good idea since it can hold the body where i want it, err where i think i want it. lol this shit is NOT as easy as i thought lol. thanks for the helps guys.
do you guys use a dremmel to open up the fenders and such, so far thats what i have used.
The Dremel will work great for cutting the body lines, just be careful because it can get a way from you easily. I've used it on several bodies, but on my last one I got a set of curved body scissors, and I will use those from now on. They work perfectly on straight lines, curved lines, pretty much any cuts you need to make.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Try this sometime,,,Build the chassis then totally finish the body.
Turn the body upside down ,,set it down on a towel ,,use something soft under the bed and hood to stablize it,
Take the chassis with no battery and no motor, raise the body posts up some NOT all the way.
Up end it and set the chassis in the body then measure or (eyeball it like i did),,CHECK from all sides and
angles. Look at tire position In wheel well and center (Same amount of tire sticking out of fender)then circle the points where
the post hit the body, a pencil worked for me. THEN take the body and check with a metric measure(more accurate)
Check the distance from your marks around the posts and find the center of the small circle you drew in at
each post contact point out to the cab and to the sides and any other center line mark,,Mine came out perfect first time XD

Last edited by Osco; 03-30-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Osco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #10

use East End Machining's velcro body mount kit, you won't have to put any holes in your body, body posts won't be sticking out to catch on rocks and it's just as sturdy as mounting it with body posts.

http://www.eastendmachining.com/eemvebomosyf.html
MCNorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNorris View Post
use East End Machining's velcro body mount kit, you won't have to put any holes in your body, body posts won't be sticking out to catch on rocks and it's just as sturdy as mounting it with body posts.

That works great if you're using a stock AX-10. Most aftermarket chassis' don't have provisions for stock AX-10 mounts, though....
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNorris View Post

X2 on this. I made my own out of a couple of plastic rulers from the dollar store. It works extremely well.
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

To cut your body(fenders etc), try just scoring the lines with an exacto, then make one entry cut with scissors, and you can peel the extra material off along your score marks. It works incredibly well, and leaves a very clean edge. Not to mention it is a HELLUVA lot quicker than cutting it all with scissors.

Last edited by Mayze; 04-01-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote