Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Can you paint lexan on the outside???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #1

Default Can you paint lexan on the outside???

i hate painting the in side
Oshkosh-Defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Should be the same material on the outside as on the inside

Just make sure you're actually painting the lexan...and not the overspray mask :-P
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh-Defence View Post
Well, you can look at it this way. If you paint the outside, you'll be painting often because you're going to scrape the paint off every time out. At least if you paint the inside, it'll only be once.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Make sure to remember that you have to do your paint scheme layers backwards from what the inside would be, which would be backwards.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #5

Sure, it will work. I hate painting inside too, I learned from the other way on real cars. Just make sure you put a clear on it. It will srcatch easy, but that is the price you are going to pay.
pilotshaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

No you cant paint the outside its just wrong ..............up here in snowta land we only paint the inside ok im kidding

its plastic just paint the sucker inside, outside dont really matter. paint dont win a comp
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh-Defence View Post
???

When all's said and done, all you have to do is pull off the overspray film and **BLING** it instantly looks like there's 20 coats of clear over your paint job. I love that part of a paint job, I try to whip the film off all at once like an unveiling for maximum effect.

And scratches just scratch the lexan, not the paint. That is key unless you're building shelf-queens.

Paint will stick to the outside just like the inside, just pull the overspray film and wash it with dish soap and warm water. If you paint the outside, back the inside with rust color so it shows through the scratches in the outside paint...

Last edited by Big Mike; 04-13-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Yes, but why

You could paint the outside of the body. If you are going for the beater look. I never paint the outside of my bodies, because they shine better. After your first few seconds on the rocks your body will look like you had it for months.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #9

I painted my power wagon on the outside with army green so I could get the proper flat color effect. It does scrape off against rocks but the inside is silver so it gets the bare metal look. army green on the inside is just a ugly gloss green on the outside
rockrash383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've painted many Lexan bodies on the exterior, clear coat or even a satin if that's the finnish you want.
The secret is in the prepwork, .000 steel wool or substitute, 3m pad ect.
Be sure to remove the overspray film on the body (outside surface), mask widows then place blue, lowtack painters tape over the mask and trim, gently scour the entire surface to be painted with steel wool or pad, go easy around the edge of the masking, the pad is nice because you can cut strips to reach small spaces ect. wipe down body with a damp clean no lint cloth, let dry, check and go over any missed places, repeat until you have a uniform dull surface, prime with light coats x2 let dry overnight, mask and paint.
With this method, if you keep the surface clean during the painting process the finnish will be more durable and last longer.
Here is one I did,

caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Check the thread with the Blazer King Build. The guy building that put "rust spots" with silver on the inside, then sprayed the outside yellow, so like mentioned above, when the paint gets scratched off it'll look more realistic. B/C of this site, I'm getting some twisted scale build ideas as such. Thanks guys...you're all bad influences LOL
M109R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

U sure can i did on my scaler check it out the black is on the outside and the red inside...josh's scx-10 (first scaler)
josh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I say that painting the outside will look more flat, less glossy, maybe more scale. Especially if you paint the inside silver, black or even rust color to show thru the scrapes.
Focus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

You can paint on the outside with a little prep work. Here is one that I painted on the outside for Rocky of AKRCC.

jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109R View Post
Check the thread with the Blazer King Build. The guy building that put "rust spots" with silver on the inside, then sprayed the outside yellow, so like mentioned above, when the paint gets scratched off it'll look more realistic. B/C of this site, I'm getting some twisted scale build ideas as such. Thanks guys...you're all bad influences LOL

LOL- Same thing I did on the "Ultimate K-10"

Heres how the "inside is painted"..

This effect will work sweet when the side of the truck is dragged down a rock ledge peeling away the yellow paint, exposing the scratches and rust..!!

Here is is painted on the outside..

51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #16

Default Re: Yes, but why

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
You could paint the outside of the body. If you are going for the beater look. I never paint the outside of my bodies, because they shine better. After your first few seconds on the rocks your body will look like you had it for months.
Good thread. The beater look is exactly what I'm going for. I want the old truck to look like an old truck.
The Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yes, but why

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oz View Post
Good thread. The beater look is exactly what I'm going for. I want the old truck to look like an old truck.

that is how i did my bronco and I have to say i live how it looks after one summer of beating on it. I did a down and dirty "rust" job on the inside. bought a bunch of clerance bottles from Hobby Lobby and then splattered them in, mixed it around a bit after it started to dry then backed it will flat black. then i put a nice clean pint job in the outside. one thing i will say, since you are painting the out side, to get better adhesion, sand the body with a fine grit. it will still scrap, but mine chips because the paint isn't stuck as well as it should be.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Can you paint lexan on the outside???

Painting the outside looks much better imho.
I don't like the look of 20 layers of clear coat (painting the inside).

Just paint the indoe a different color like silver, rust or even a contrasting color so when the outside paint scratches off, it shows something underneath.

Here's my new paint job with silver underneath and old paint job with orange underneath.
Attached Images

johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Agreed - Just paint the outside.

But question for the guys painting multiple colors on the outside - What paint are you using and how many coats? I did this on my ratrod hard body and it still just scratches all the way to the bare body. Or am I just that hard on my rigs......
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Scale Detail Engineering

I used Pactra I think, maybe 4 coats.
It's very durable.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote