Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Paint mask issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Paint mask issues

I'm haveing some problems with Spaztix paint masks I bought at my LHS.
I didn't have a problem putting them on or getting them to stick. The problem I'm haveing is when I took the masks off, the paint peeled with them.
So now I have a big mess of clear space that I'm going to have to clean up and respray black to blend everything back together and make it look decent, I hope. I did the painting about 3 weeks ago so the paint had plenty of time to dry.
What I'm wanting to know is if I let it dry TO much before I took the masks off or what happened? I did wash out the inside of the body before I put the masks on or did any painting.
I'm really confused. Could someone give me some insite of to what might have happened? This is a first for me. I've not ever had this happen before.
Hotrodblder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodblder View Post
I'm haveing some problems with Spaztix paint masks I bought at my LHS.
I didn't have a problem putting them on or getting them to stick. The problem I'm haveing is when I took the masks off, the paint peeled with them.
So now I have a big mess of clear space that I'm going to have to clean up and respray black to blend everything back together and make it look decent, I hope. I did the painting about 3 weeks ago so the paint had plenty of time to dry.
What I'm wanting to know is if I let it dry TO much before I took the masks off or what happened? I did wash out the inside of the body before I put the masks on or did any painting.
I'm really confused. Could someone give me some insite of to what might have happened? This is a first for me. I've not ever had this happen before.
spaz sticks pre prep and a 600 grit gray scotchbright pad availible at you local autobody supply store but maybe home depot in a pinch. also a good degreaser, use autobody shop for that as well

if it doesnt stick to that, then the paint is the problem and you call spaz stix
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thank you for the help. I'm gonna guess it ws the paint that is causing the issue. It's just Pactra spray paint, and it's mostly black, so having an all black truck won't be to bad I guess.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

oops sorry i read that wrong, i thought you were spraying spazstix paint, so you wouldnt need the preprep.

what was your prep process? just to make sure its the paint
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

All I did in the begining was wash the inside with warn soap and water and then rinsed it really well and let it air dry. Then I weeded the masks and put them where I wanted them and used a hair dryer to soften them a bit so they would conform to the curves and then I wiped it down again after I got all the masks on. Then I painted it with Pactra rattle can outlaw black.

I havn't done anything to it until tonight, and when I went to peel the masks, the paint came with it. I have yet to take the window masks off, but when I do, I'm going to try to go around them with my hobby knife first lightly so I can cut throught the paint that's there incase it wants to pull off, too.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Built, not bought

I could be wrong but,I'd say that you left the masks on too long.I've had the same problem before.Hope this helps.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
DBR
Quarry Creeper

I find that it's better to peal the mask when the paint is still tacky so it will create a good line. The longer you let the paint cure the more chance you have of pulling some paint with the mask.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a lot guy's. I really appreciate all the sugjestions everyone has given.

I think I DID leave the masks on to long, BUT, I didn't have any problems with the window masks and they were on the same as the others. I thought I was going to have to run my hobby knife around them and didn't even have to do that.

Oh well, live and learn, damnit, lol.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodblder View Post
Oh well, live and learn, damnit, lol.
You don't want to know how many paintjobs I've screwed up in the last 20+ years.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The main reason the paint peels with the mask is paint thickness. If you don't keep your coats thin it'll do it every time. One trick to keeping a clean edge is to pull the mask back onto itself as you remove it. It acts as a knife edge and helps keep it from happening. Hope this all makes sense....good luck with the clean-up
-w-designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

you can also use an exacto blade to lightly score around the edge of the mask and it will allow the paint to cleanly seperate from the mask
p3ripperfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I would like to give thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread since I put it up. I will deffinatly keep all of your idea in mind for the next paint project.

I have since finished everything including the decals, lol. I just scuffed the inside up and got rid of all of the loose edges and then finished it with the original black the rest of the body was painted. I wished I had the abbility to post pics of the finished project so everyone could see what I ended up with but I have no camera.

Again, many thanks to everyone who contributed to my delema.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I actually had that same problem monday with Pactra Outlaw Black and Parma Ghostflame masks on a Proline body I painted for my Bandit, only I though I didn't leave the mask on long enough.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote