Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: which paint for use with canned air propellent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default which paint for use with canned air propellent?

i have searched but have yet to find an answer.

I have a single action testor airbrush i got from walmart years ago in the model car section (our wally world doesnt even sale models anymore). it uses the canned air propellent.

the can says consistently over 50psi.

what kind of paint can i or should i use?

looked at the pactra acrylic but the selection is skimpy.

i got an hpi bronco and was gonna use like a metalic green to kinda match my ax10.

basically i wanna know what is a good acrylic/waterbased paint for my setup. and while i got ya how bout some color ideas to match the axial green color.

thanks
sorry i am a noob at paint and basically to rc
brasseagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You could use Faskolor from the LHS, or just plain acrylic craft paint in similar looking little bottles from any craft dept.or craft store. Filter the paint through a fine screen to eliminate any boogers and add only a couple drops of water to each spray bottle which comes with the Testors model # 8821 airbrush kit. Practice on empty 2 liter soda bottles cut in half, to fine tune the spray pattern.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
dkf
Rock Crawler

I like Parma Faskolor. Its water based, dries flexible and sticks extremely well to lexan. With 50psi you should be able to spray it as it comes in the bottle. If its too thick thin it with some water. The Faskolor sticks to lexan better for me than the rattle can paints from other companies.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I use a mix of Faskolor and Pactra acrylics. I have had really good results with both of them. As long as the can actually sprays at consistent 50 psi, then you should be fine using Faskolor straight out of the bottle. I use an air compressor, and I shoot at right around 50 psi with no problems from either paint.
JarheadRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

i want to paint my body pearl green i think and put a black stripe down the side.

it would be easier to paint the green and put a mask for the black, instead of outlining the black stripe first. i know darker first but would this work because i dont think i could do the outline way without making it ugly.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

you could do that no problem (green then black) but make sure you back the lighter color first with silver or white so that the black doesnt bleed through the lighter color and throw it all off. good luck and post pics when you're done!
JarheadRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

thanks i was thinkin about maybe having a yellow stripe instead of black cause my grandpa had a truck painted that way.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

ok i just got my fasgreen and got black and chrome ordered. My question is do i need to use faskoat or is the other faskolors enough?

Last edited by brasseagle6; 06-05-2009 at 03:25 PM.