Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: airbrush and compressor, any opinions on these?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default airbrush and compressor, any opinions on these?

well I have been trying to paint a couple grappler bodies with shaker cans, and my wife bought me a badger model 350 from michaels the other day. it's decent, but uses canned air, and well, it sux with that. I wanted to buy an iwata, and I am leaning towards a revolution or eclipse dual action gravity feed.

does anyone have any experience with the iwata ninja jet or silver jet compressors? also with the eclipse CS models, will the standard needle work, or do I need to get the .5mm needle to do large areas of the body. sorry for such newb questions, but with the cost of a compressor and airbrush I don't want to get the wrong stuff.
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I use regular oilless compressors with good success, I picked up a small 3 gallon model for use in the house in the cold months, a small moisture trap, and regulator, and it has been perfect for me. its nice that it doesnt run the whole time I am spraying also.

In the summer I use my large compressor in the garage, but that is a little more $$
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Finally a topic that I fel like I can speak with some authority on ;)

I been building models for 20+ years, and of all the airbrushes I have used Iwata's are by far my favorite, I have had others that "spray" better, but the Iwata is far better as a overall gun. Cleanlines, ease of breakdown, smooth action, all in all a great gun and worth the 120$ or what ever to get it.

I have always preffered gravity feed over siphon, they use less paint and you have more control w/ finer lines.

As far as compressors go, dont waste your money on any of the "branded" stuff. Check out www.airbrushcity.com Their compressors are off brands, but they are little work horses. There airburshes are cheap enough too that if you want a 2nd one for large coverage areas only you can affoard it.

Good luck and post some fo the work you do!

Ashton

btw, here is a link to my online album of some of the stuff I have done; http://picasaweb.google.com/RedModeling
Redfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well I can get an eclipse with their compressor for 250, or step up to a larger compressor for 350. Just not sure it the small one would work for occasional use.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

well I ended up ordering a iwata eclipse cs, a ninja jet, and the .5mm needle and needle point. we will see how it works hoepfully this weekend when it gets here.