Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Flat black on lexan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Flat black on lexan

I'm looking to get a flat black on my next body but I don't want to paint the outside. I searched and came across this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by losilover View Post
you paint the inside with black (or any color) so it wont scratch off and the apply the tamiya spray to the outside to matte the lexan.
If I paint the inside black and the outside with the tamiya flat clear will that actually look good? Also I was under the impression that Tamiya paints are not for lexan? Anyone tried this method or have any others to suggest? What about steel wooling the outside?
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Lookup a thread in paint sect. I thinkits by Hellbentrodder his body came out great

Last edited by boosted4lyf; 09-16-2010 at 04:43 PM.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i did the black on the inside and flat clear on the outside and i love it. I also got alot of compliments on the paint at a local scale comp. I would post a picture however i am awaiting an email back from rcc.com to hear why i can't. I can email you the old fashion way if you like, PM me.
Ramset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Here is a pic of mine that Boosted was talking about. It holds up very well. In fact I think it holds up better then the bare lexan when scratched.

Last edited by hellbentrodder; 09-22-2010 at 05:53 AM.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Man that looks sweet! Ok I'm pretty sure I'm going to try it out on my next body. Jus waiting on my set of custom decals to finalize the paint. Thanks for posting that up.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

My stock SCX body that has the flat clear is beat to hell and back and i use Pledge to shine it up. looks near new!
Ramset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #7

you can sand the body with a really fine sand paper like 2000 wet sand paper then you don't have to paint the outside
Etmonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I think I'm going to try the flat clear on it. The first color is drying right now and I finally got my custom decals in so I'm hoping to have it done tonight or tomorrow. It's a pretty simple paint job but it's such a small body and will get beat on so I'm not going too crazy.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Finished up my shell today and I couldn't be happier with it! The decals came out perfect and the paint is simple but fits well with my theme. I was doing a Rockstar Punched theme since it's my favorite energy drink and I love the can design. I worked with Eric Dlux for the decals and he is awesome! A big thanks to him for working with me and making them for me. I used Pactra Outlaw Black, Bright Red, and coated the outside with Tamiya Flat Clear. I couldn't be happier with this technique. I like clear windows but hate seeing all the electronic junk through them so i didn't mask the outside and flat cleared them and got a "fogged" look. Still gives the window a clear and "window" look but you can't see all the wires and junk inside. One of my more basic paint jobs but sometimes simple looks good. I plan on doing something to the wheels to tie them into the flat black look. Ok enough rambling, on to the pics!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #10

Just painted my Honcho Matte Black on the exterior with non-lexan paint. I'm sure it will chip off and flake, we'll see. I needed more practice painting, so thought, what the hell.

cptcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont slow down View Post
Damn! That turned out way sick!!!

I know the next color of my body.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I like the frosted windows. Turned out great, Good job!
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbentrodder View Post
Here is a pic of mine that Boosted was talking about. It holds up very well. In fact I think it holds up better then the bare lexan when scratched.

Sick paint job, well done!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Finished up my shell today and I couldn't be happier with it! The decals came out perfect and the paint is simple but fits well with my theme. I was doing a Rockstar Punched theme since it's my favorite energy drink and I love the can design. I worked with Eric Dlux for the decals and he is awesome! A big thanks to him for working with me and making them for me. I used Pactra Outlaw Black, Bright Red, and coated the outside with Tamiya Flat Clear. I couldn't be happier with this technique. I like clear windows but hate seeing all the electronic junk through them so i didn't mask the outside and flat cleared them and got a "fogged" look. Still gives the window a clear and "window" look but you can't see all the wires and junk inside. One of my more basic paint jobs but sometimes simple looks good. I plan on doing something to the wheels to tie them into the flat black look. Ok enough rambling, on to the pics!

Looks GREAT! I like those frosted windows, too!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #15

tamiya makes makes a flat and satin clear that you spray over the lexan
when i get in tonight i'll post the what is called i can't remember
but works great does not flake off
Attached Images

jackal20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Testors makes a product called Dull-Cote, used frequently in model railroading. Its in a rattle can.
It does a great job in all my model train projects at reducing the shine to zero, like on freight cars, etc...
I have no clue how it would work on Lexan. Heres a link.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHF87&P=FR
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

If you use Tamiya Flat Clear, make sure you use PS-55. All of the PS line of Tamiya rattle cans are for Polycarbonate (lexan)
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
If you use Tamiya Flat Clear, make sure you use PS-55. All of the PS line of Tamiya rattle cans are for Polycarbonate (lexan)
That I didn't know, I'll have to check my can and see what I used. Thanks for the comments all!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Ok enough rambling, on to the pics!

Wow... one of the best looking paint bodies I have seen in a while. I just ordered up a can of the Tamiya PS-55 so that I do not forget what was used
Geeks2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcorn View Post
Just painted my Honcho Matte Black on the exterior with non-lexan paint. I'm sure it will chip off and flake, we'll see. I needed more practice painting, so thought, what the hell.

I have done that in the past and it will flake/scratch off,but the great thing is you can just touch up agian with the flat black spray and your good as new.
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote