Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Good News for people using New Bright Jeep bodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Good News for people using New Bright Jeep bodies

I let the hood and grille of the New Bright "Swamp Dawg" Jeep soak in Krud Kutter for about 2-3 hours and the fake mud paint came right off.

I didn't have a plastic tub big enough to submerge the whole thing, but I would have if I did. It even took the silver off of the fenders, but left the black plastic untouched. I bought a small scrub brush and a pack of disposable gloves and started scrubbing. The paint that soaked came right off, but very little effect without soaking. Krud Kutter also works wonders on left over sticker glue. I have not tested this on the clear windshields yet, but I expect them to be fine.

I'm going to find a bigger tub, buy another gallon of Krud Kutter, and soak the whole body (well, at least the entire side at a time). I will also start a build thread soon for my SCX10 that I just bought and intend to mount the body to.

For those who don't know what Krud Kutter is: http://www.krudkutter.com/

It is environmentally safe, it can be rinsed down the drain, mostly because the active ingredient is phosphoric acid, which is a flavoring agent in Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, etc.
neamerjell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

thanks for the tip ... did it clean the krud off the lights too?
phoenixtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Don't know yet

I have not tried it on the headlights or windshields yet. I want to test it on a small edge first. But if it fogs the headlights, oh well, I'll just find a way to use the Axial roll bar light lenses. They look about the right size...

Keep watching this thread. I'll post the results of the windshield and headlight test after I buy some more Krud Kutter.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this stuff so hope it's available in ca. Getting the new jk when I get home
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

did you try it on the headlights and windshield yet ? i used fingernail polish remover to get it off the headlights on mine
mar618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default In the process

They're soaking right now as I type this. I will post my results in about an hour or so.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

thx for the info sounds like good stuff...how did it work on the window?

im going to have to go track some down
ROCKWHORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default No Joy

I let the headlights and windshield soak for several hours with no results. The hood and grille must have been a fluke. Sorry people.

It softened the stickers enough to come off easily, though.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default Long time, no post. Update on Newbright Bodywork

As I mentioned before, Krud Kutter and Simple Green are great for removing stickers, but for the really stubborn adhesives, I found that good ol' fashioned elbow grease and 150 grit sandpaper work really well.

The weather has finally let up a little bit in Cincinnati, and I'm finally able to go outside and sand the body down and get rid of the stubborn "mud" on my Jeep body. I used fine 150 grit sandpaper so it would not take too much plastic off with the paint and sticker goo. It also is just right to score the rest of the body so the primer will stick.

The body is in the bathtub drying right now after I rinsed the dust off from sanding. Once it is dry, I will prime it and be ready for paint. I may use the headlight lenses from the Axial bumper kit for the body, they look like they will fit. I just hope I can find some orange paint like the actual color that the JK Jeep is/was available in.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Great info, just got my Swamp Dawg and now know how to go about doing my prep thanks
EEM-CrawlinMachine is offline   Reply With Quote