Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Gaps Hinges etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #1

Default Gaps Hinges etc.

I'm about to paint Tamiya lexan land cruiser body. It's going to be white. I want to darken the hood and door gaps, hinges, vents etc. My plan is to spray some Tamiya PS "smoke" into a cup for this. I would do this on the underside prior to painting the body color. Using a very fine detail brush with very little paint on it, I'll just highlight these lines outlining the door hood vents etc. Is this a workable idea?
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

it sounds like it works but i am not a big fan of painting dark lines for gaps but this is your rig. if you look at a 1:1 rig next to a scale rig with gaps painted in it doesnt look scale but more cartoony. a full size rig wont have huge gaps and they wont be dark at all but more of the same color. but like i said this is your rig so make it your own.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Jer
Rock Crawler

you could always try it out on a junk body first. I think a thin and light enough coat that just makes the color a bit darker would look pretty good. might even think about applying it to the outside after it's done so you don't have to be as exact with the brush.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
you could always try it out on a junk body first. I think a thin and light enough coat that just makes the color a bit darker would look pretty good. might even think about applying it to the outside after it's done so you don't have to be as exact with the brush.
That's what I was thinking, just a tad darker. Somehow, gaps and vents and even things that rise above the surface like bolts are apparent because the same light cannot be in every single place at once. Usually, it's a shadowing effect that outlines these places. So, a very light darkening. That's why I thought the smoke, for window tint effect, might help to keep it light, like a shadow.
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote