Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: what paint is the best for lexan...???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question what paint is the best for lexan...???

i just traded and got a edge chassis and i was gonna paint some panels for it on some lexan sheets....never painted on lexan so not sure about what paint to get..if some one could send me some links to some places that sells good paint for lexan ....thanks guys..and if anyone got some panles forsale hit me up..pm me..
Kentuckcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There is specific paint for lexan.

Tamiya do it, spray cans only. The code is PS (Polycarbonate spray), followed by the number code for the colour. Don't be confused with the TS, that's not for lexan.

Pactra Racing Finish is also for lexan, and Parma Floquil (or something spelt like that) can be airbrushed on.

Lexan paints have a flex agent as well as a more brutal active agent that bites into the plastic. Normal model paint will flake, even if you are just removing masking tape it can tear off. Just prep the lexan by washing it in hot water with dishwashing detergent, rinse in cold water and let it dry.

There was an old myth about scouring the body to make normal paint stick. Myth is the right word. The only thing it does is make any metalflake or candy colour look like crap because it ruins the smooth painting surface - remembering you are painting the inside surface here.
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

^^^ well said..

also apply thin coats only...

i have a picture of a 1/8th scale jeep rubicon body i did for my nitro savage.. its a transparent green, i'll see if i can find the pic and post it up. i have decided to cut this body down a little and use it for my honcho, the windows will be masked off and then black will be sprayed.

found it..

you can see my hand in this picture, the paint is supposed to be like this.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That'd look great backed up with chrome.
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

And if you can airbrush Parma FASKOLOR paint is very good to use big color range
RockMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Spazstix is also a great paint to use, you can get it in spray can or airbrush paint. They also have awesome color change paint and the best chrome out there. You can use the discount codes you see below in my signature.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

hmmm backed with silver would look good too i think.... i lucked out and the wheelwells of the rubicon body line up perfect with the honcho wheel base. this body will be cut/trimmed for 2.2 tires.....

to the original poster, like others have said you gotta use paint specifically for lexan because its a flexable paint, any other paint will peel off really easy.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

what you need for lexon is polycrbonate paint pactra is one tamiya is another
CPT.HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Spazstix (When I can find it) and Pactra are my favorite paints. I will use Faskolor if I have to, but Im not a big fan of it. Its a real chalky paint.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I like to use Model Master's 2 stage lacquer line as well as Mopar's Spray Touch Up paint, both work just as well as the Pactra RC Lacquers and can give you a greater variety of colors too! I want to pick up some Fiesta Green at some point from one of the local Ford dealers to try out now too.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Lacquers are so stinky though. Person really needs a booth for them or use them in the garage or even outside. There is alot of cool colors in lacquers though, and the metallics really pop
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote