Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Painting Wheels ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Painting Wheels ??

OK so I just got done with a overhaul on my berg (new chassis,hand wounds,shocks,and so on)and I am short on cash but want to change the wheel color of my vanquish wheels.I like the wheels but would like to have them black and leave the rings alone.So my question is has any one painted a set of vanquish DH's or SLW'S? If so how did it go and do you have any tips on what paint you used and things like that.Or if you think painting the wheels is just a stupid idea let me know.Thanks for the help.
obebaldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
RCC Addict

You can do it but without proper prep it will probably peel easily. The wheels from the factory are anodized and you would need to remove the anodizing first with oven cleaner or drano. Just remember that a painted surface will scratch easily as well.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks.I figure it will take a little time but i think i will go for it.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Sand really well, wash with TSP or a good detergent (aluminum oxidizes immediatly so be ready to paint as soon as they are dry) spray with a Zinc primer and then a regular primer. You can also use an etching primer but or epoxy but not sure how available that is to you, Zinc primer can usually be found in big box stores. once you finish that shoot your colour. Another good option that is easily available is the Dupli color wheel paints because they have Primer, Colour and clear all in spray bombs that are meant to work together. One problem with painting out of a can is the curing time for the paint to gas out is usually really long, any time I paint something with spray bomb cans it's usually something I won't be touching for a month or so. If your using something like an airbrush then you can play with your hardeners ect...to aid in dry times.

Last edited by cagedcbr; 05-21-2011 at 09:44 AM.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Now thats what im talkin about.Thanks a ton for the info.