Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Paint Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Paint Help

I want to paint my Hilux body for my new Class 1 build a nice bright red. I want a very hard paint as I am really tired of putting 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear with wet sanding between coats and then first run, the truck is scratched all the way to the white plastic.

So, have people had good luck with Auto paint? Maybe over a self etching primer? How about Polyurethane paint?

Colors I am considering are:

(Laquer Paints)
- Mars Red - Mercedes
- Red Jewel - Chevrolet
- Red Candy - Ford
- Bright Red - Pactra
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

It is hard to believe that no one has any experience with any of the items I asked about.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

Neil, the problem is that its a plastic body and the flex of a plastic body.
though I am sure I will be challenged by someone, my experiance says your still gonna suffer scratches.

My buddy Todd kirbey of TKCustoms.com paints alot of 1:1 cars and trucks and started out in RC airbrushing. he has done a few for me and though his paint is amazing. its weather you make it a shelf queen or a runner.

its not the issue of the paint either. its the issue of the clear coat protecting the paint. It has to be a really good grade and then your only decreasing the odds. but still its a plastic body with paint and clear that doesnt like to flex

I have found that using several thin layers of Rustoleum specialty plastic does great, but then you will have to produce several thin layers of clear. there is an epoxy based paint on the market you might try or even so an engine enamel might be another choice.

If you happen to have something spare to practice on. that would be my choice.

contact War pig, Im not sure what he is using, but he seems to have some luck. though he does end up repainting his trucks.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Great info. The scratching is impossible to avoid but the gouging I was hopeing to skip. I actually thought about nitrocellulose but it is hard to find. My Luthier suggested a 2 part poly. I was Hopeing to score some of the stuff Taylor and Fendor use on their electric guitars, but that stuff is very toxic and there are a lot of controls on them. Man if I could get a finish like on mt Taylor Solid Body Classic it would be awesome.

Well, I think I will stick with lacquers and plan to repaint often.

Thanks for the help Norm.