Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: weathering tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default weathering tips?

I tried searching for weathering, but no luck. I want to paint a lexan body on the outside, flat black, and then weather it to look dusty/dirty. Like the black car in the road warrior. I was going to paint the inside silver so any scratches that it got showed metal under it.

Thanks.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

check some of the model railway sites for techniques. There is a few companies that make weathering washes that you apply over your top-coat of paint that give it a really authentic look.
You can do it yourself with thinned paint applied as a wash too. There are tons of articles and you tube videos on various techniques
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Another way is to paint the inside a rust color. As you scratch the car, the rust shows up. A first coat of silver/ grey on the outside would make light scratches appear to just do down to a normal base coat, while the deep scratches "rust"
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Another way is to paint the inside a rust color. As you scratch the car, the rust shows up. A first coat of silver/ grey on the outside would make light scratches appear to just do down to a normal base coat, while the deep scratches "rust"
That works extremely well to give it a gradual weathering technique. To make it look dusty I just sprayed a tan color from Tamiya at a distance to make my rig look dusty. I wanted a post apocalypse themed vehicle (like Mad Max).
Attached Images

Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

That is very cool looking

An airbrushing tip for splatter is to hold a shield/ piece of plastic in front of the tip and spray onto the shield and it'll spatter the paint. Might make a good "mud splatter" effect with a dark brown... or dried mud with tan

Or just run it through real mud and don't wash it
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Awesome truck! Thanks for the tips guys. What brand of paints do you reccomend for the rust? Im afraid of having it look great nut flake off first time it flexes.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The simulated rust would be painted on the interior, I've seen people use the copper color from Tamiya and various other colors. Then the outside is painted silver followed by the body color (in this case flat black). This way the body can flex and the paint will stay put. Now if you are using an actual rusting agent for the exterior ... that may flake off but I have never used it on a lexan body before.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I mean brands. I tried using krylon plasticolor (olive drab) before and it all flaked off. I usually use parma but the only colors my shop carrys is bright colors. I think another shop carrys tamiya but i dont know what type.

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well I can tell you that the sand color on my truck is actually painted with the Tamiya spray for plastic models ... its a TS number. Typically polycarbonate paint from Tamiya is a PS number. Haven't had any problem with it scratching off yet.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Cool. thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #11

check out this link...awesome rusting weathering effects

The Scale Builder's Guild - Brought to you by Jowett's Kustom RC
echology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
RCC Addict

take all the electronics off and leave the chassis outside in the rain, snow, hose, dog, and let nature take its course. Its all natural

and for the body use the tips mentioned previously. they work well
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
RCC Addict

This is all you need it makes real rust and looks great ... You can look it up on YouTube and it'll show u some awesome vids
Sophisticated finishes
Iron metallic surfacer,
Rust antiquing solution
Made by triangle crafts

J-bird
Attached Images

j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knytemare View Post
That works extremely well to give it a gradual weathering technique. To make it look dusty I just sprayed a tan color from Tamiya at a distance to make my rig look dusty. I wanted a post apocalypse themed vehicle (like Mad Max).

Holy smoke...I thought i was viewing a real truck till i saw the Integy wheels and the body mounts.

All i can say is WOW
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Wow! Thats one heck of a Zombie Killing Machine

Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

my scx10 is painted flat black and unless i thoroughly wash the body with a cleaner, it has the dusty look. it was muddy for a few weeks and i finally got around to the body the other day and i just stuck it in the shower and then wiped it dry with paper towels and when it was completely dry it had a very nice looking weathered look. black paint on the outside of the body scratches up pretty good too so that adds to the effect.

the paint i used was pactra outlaw black on the inside/outside, and then a couple coats of model masters lusterless lacquer overcoat.

here's a pic right after it was painted. i'll try to find a camera to show you how it looks now and see if it's anything close to what you're lookin for

boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote